Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: England players who have failed to push on

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Won European Football of the Year too didn't he? Or have I imagined that?
    Yeah, he did.

Cricketer Of The Year
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Wilfried Zaha?

or is that a bit harsh given he's only 23?
    He was never any good either.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    I think Gibbs' inclusion is a bit harsh actually. He was never really rated as being anything special. He's just a perfectly serviceable fullback, nothing more, nothing less. From what I remember he was never really expected to be much more than that.

Cricketer Of The Year
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I think Gibbs' inclusion is a bit harsh actually. He was never really rated as being anything special. He's just a perfectly serviceable fullback, nothing more, nothing less. From what I remember he was never really expected to be much more than that.
    The whole list is crap. I think wp was in a hurry.

vcs
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Rooney is a weird one, leading scorer ever and currently level with Beckham as leading outfield caps winner yet you think he never really fulfilled the promise as as a teenager he looked like he could have reached the levels that Messi and Ronaldo have but ended up well short of that.
    His scoring record flatters him.. been mediocre in tournaments and padded his record in friendlies/vs. shite opposition in qualifiers, with lots of penalties. People still think of his performance in Euro 2004 when they think of his international career.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

Cricketer Of The Year
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    His scoring record flatters him.. been mediocre in tournaments and padded his record in friendlies/vs. shite opposition in qualifiers, with lots of penalties. People still think of his performance in Euro 2004 when they think of his international career.
    2004 isn't what most people think about. It's all the failures since.

Rooney's domestic scoring record is pretty good though, especially if you discount the last couple of years. Was prolific 4-5 years ago.

I'd describe it as above average. He's always mixed really prolific seasons with shite.
    ​63*

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Come on Lancashire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Let it be known for the record that the font in the top of the picture noted that Kohli was wearing Jimmy Choo shoes and Happy Socks

I feel Rooney had more potential early and he plateaued before he got anywhere near it. There was the opinion that he could be as good as Ronaldo at one point. Maybe that was just the English player overhype but I do remember it from United fans and pundits. Think he was much better for United than he has been for England. Not sure how long it's been or if I ever felt he was a WC player who could decide an international.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Rooney was a seriously good player at his peak. Usually these discussions unfavourably compare his development to Ronaldo's, which makes me think his potential was just way overrated to begin with.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Rooney was a seriously good player at his peak. Usually these discussions unfavourably compare his development to Ronaldo's, which makes me think his potential was just way overrated to begin with.
    He was probably the better player circa 04-06 and I guess people cling to that, ignoring that Rooney was already close to his peak while Ronaldo was just working through the early gears

He was a very good player but there was a feeling that he would be special. And maybe that was an incorrect asssment that left some fans waiting for a level of play that would never come.

I must admit that I never warmed to him like some of our other players. His attitude and contract shenanigans were annoying. He hit a wall 2 years ago and refuses to admit it. Talking himself up as the next Scholes is too much. I'm a massive Scholes fan and Rooney has no idea what he's talking about.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    He was probably the better player circa 04-06 and I guess people cling to that, ignoring that Rooney was already close to his peak while Ronaldo was just working through the early gears
    Yeah Ronaldo was less effective then but he had all the attributes of a future superstar- crazy pace and rapid change of direction, killer technique etc., he just had to figure out how to use it. Rooney never had those attributes so getting to the Messi/Ronaldo level was impossible and given what he had I think he did pretty well.
    sledger likes this.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Yeah Ronaldo was less effective then but he had all the attributes of a future superstar- crazy pace and rapid change of direction, killer technique etc., he just had to figure out how to use it. Rooney never had those attributes so getting to the Messi/Ronaldo level was impossible and given what he had I think he did pretty well.
    Agree

Yeah, I couldn't put Rooney in this category, even if he's never again been as brilliant for England as he was in 2004.
    Likewise Owen, as his decline was mainly down to injuries, wasn't it?

I stand by the others though. Most of them, anyway. Even if they do have time to turn it around, there's no pretending that their careers have developed the way we thought they would. And that's the major concern if we're ever hoping to build a successful team again.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information