• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good chance for Feddy to make that H2H against Rafa look slightly better.

We never learn, do we?

vcs

This Indian Wells draw is even more laughably lopsided now that Murray is out.

I always really struggle to see the relevance of Indian Wells and Miami in the calendar. Horribly slow HC surfaces that reward ugly, grinding tennis. The matches are usually error-fests. Just give them a break till the clay court season FFS.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nadal is already complaining that people are becoming tall and serving faster and points are becoming shorter. :laugh: I wonder if the courts were what they were pre-2007, how many slams would Nadal have won? Certainly not the amount he has now.

EDIT: I should say courts and the old lighter balls they used till 2007/08 as well.

Last edited:

vcs

So another Fedal meeting. I somehow see this being one-sided in Nadal's favour. Hope I'm proven wrong, obviously.

vcs

Good chance for Feddy to make that H2H against Rafa look slightly better.

We never learn, do we?
Never doubt the Fed, what a demolition that was. :notworthy

I see Kyrgios has knocked Djokovic out for the 2nd time in a couple of weeks. Maybe finally starting to deliver on that potential. Looked brilliant from some of the highlights I saw against Zverev. Will be interesting to see what Federer comes up with against him.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Never doubt the Fed, what a demolition that was. :notworthy

I see Kyrgios has knocked Djokovic out for the 2nd time in a couple of weeks. Maybe finally starting to deliver on that potential. Looked brilliant from some of the highlights I saw against Zverev. Will be interesting to see what Federer comes up with against him.
NK is a tough matchup for Federer, if his temperament holds up, he has a great chance to beat a 2nd all-time great in consecutive matches....

vogue

International Vice-Captain
Stan going through to his first semi final at Indian Wells.Played better this round i think.
And looking forward to NK against Fed.Should be a good match to watch tonight.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Murray and Novak out of Miami, gawd I know people like these legends still doing well, but could someone who wasn't born before 1989 please step up. I find it so moribund.

Clashes between generations are the fun, seeing Mcenroe play beat Borg after 5 Wimbys, then Agassi vanquish Mcenroe, Fed beat Sampras, Nadal beat Federer and so on. I like the older players doing well, but in context with fresh new players. Kyrgios is a flake, Dimitrov is "delicate", Raonic is a servebot, and nishi rarely stands up when it matters.

Yes I know the older guys are good, but these young ones don't even consistently beat mediocrity.

Zverev looks mighty, but not ready yet.

vcs

Federer wins Indian Wells. Things looking good for him from a rankings perspective. Hardly defending any points at all from 2016.

Burgey

Nadal is already complaining that people are becoming tall and serving faster and points are becoming shorter. :laugh: I wonder if the courts were what they were pre-2007, how many slams would Nadal have won? Certainly not the amount he has now.

EDIT: I should say courts and the old lighter balls they used till 2007/08 as well.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
the script was somewhat similar to the aussie open in that novak and andy went out early and roger beat rafa...it is good that he has seemingly solved the nadal puzzle but he also got a solid assist in kyrgios' withdrawal...he still needs some breaks nowadays to win big tournaments...

indiaholic

International Captain
That is a bit unfair. Think the fairer statement would be that we don't know how this new Fed will go against Djokovic or Murray

vcs

I will go out on a limb and say that Murray is not a problem for an in-form Fed any more. He used to press too much and make way too many UFEs in their earlier matches, allowing Murray to take a big lead in their H2H. Even then, he usually beat him when it really mattered. Now he plays him perfectly and has beaten him handily 5-6 consecutive times. I see a fit Del Potro as a bigger threat to Federer.

However, if Djokovic gets back to his best, he'll go back to beating everyone. I think that will happen sooner or later when he regains that hunger and immense mental drive.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
That is a bit unfair. Think the fairer statement would be that we don't know how this new Fed will go against Djokovic or Murray
agreed...

I will go out on a limb and say that Murray is not a problem for an in-form Fed any more. He used to press too much and make way too many UFEs in their earlier matches, allowing Murray to take a big lead in their H2H. Even then, he usually beat him when it really mattered. Now he plays him perfectly and has beaten him handily 5-6 consecutive times. I see a fit Del Potro as a bigger threat to Federer.

However, if Djokovic gets back to his best, he'll go back to beating everyone. I think that will happen sooner or later when he regains that hunger and immense mental drive.
sure he has definitely done better with murray than djokovic recently...but i agree with indiaholic that it is still an unknown as to how this new avatar of federer will fare against them and i do believe not meeting either of them benefited federer greatly in both melbourne and indian wells and helped him win...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
agreed...

sure he has definitely done better with murray than djokovic recently...but i agree with indiaholic that it is still an unknown as to how this new avatar of federer will fare against them and given how consistent (and in novak's case, dominant particularly at the aussie open) those two have been in slams in recent years, i do believe it is a fair assessment that not meeting either of them benefited federer greatly in both melbourne and indian wells and contributed to the wins...regarding delpo, i would agree about pre-injury delpo but i am not so sure about the current version of delpo being a bigger threat to federer than murray or djokovic...

Last edited:

vcs

Fit (and focused) Djokovic is the biggest threat to Fed, obviously (BTW, Federer is also the biggest threat to Djokovic and was the only one who could challenge him in his dominant run, along with beast-mode Wawrinka).

Nadal and Del Potro come next.

Then, Murray, Wawrinka and in-form big hitters like Raonic, Cilic etc.

Then finally Tsonga, Dimitrov, Berdych, Nishikori etc.

That's how I see it.

vcs

I'm pretty sure Murray would have been more than relieved not to have to face Federer in the Wimbledon final last year, even with his dodgy fitness and lack of match practice at the time. The lesson Fed dished out to him in the 2015 SF would have been fresh in his mind.

And at the WTF, where he usually beats Murray as well.