• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I'm more with Niall here, look she's a slightly annoying personality, but when we see the likes of Zverev, Fognini, Djokovic et al., it's just minor-league fun stuff.

If she can recover her serve, honestly she's a talent, and actually doesn't seem to take herself too seriously.
sure i agree and about her talent as well, when she won the french, sure looked like a star in the making, she is not remotely in the same league as the ones you mentioned...but a little context, i was just teasing niall about the kind of women he gets attracted to...ostapenko seemed to fit that profile, that's all...

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
sure i agree and about her talent as well, when she won the french, sure looked like a star in the making, she is not remotely in the same league as the ones you mentioned...but a little context, i was just teasing niall about the kind of women he gets attracted to...ostapenko seemed to fit that profile, that's all...
Fair enough, and yeah Osta is a lovable rogue, of the type I miss in tennis, Nialls other attachments can just be evil:ph34r:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
i saw her melt down in an early rg match against Osaka when they were both barely out of juniors, was great fun

i still think if there's a serious crowd in or anything at stake beyond ranking points and a rounding up of her bank account she'll make Dementieva's collapses look mundane

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i saw her melt down in an early rg match against Osaka when they were both barely out of juniors, was great fun

i still think if there's a serious crowd in or anything at stake beyond ranking points and a rounding up of her bank account she'll make Dementieva's collapses look mundane
The Broady match was when she became memeable, but seriously a number of the Players on tour has said her win against halep made them believe that they could do it, hence why we've had this run of WTA younger winners, so she may be a pivotal person in tennis history.

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
osaka melts down after spectator heckling

as far as heckling/abuse goes, this seems really mild...if she can't take this in stride and compete, she probably shouldn't be playing...
When I read she was reduced to tears thought it would be something vile, but while the fan is a twit, its pretty tame to say the least.

Players on both tours will have heard much much worse when playing Davis Cup, US Open and heck obviously the rudest of all the slams the French Open. Nadal who had to deal with very hostile crowds when younger than Osaka politely told her to toughen up.

I'm not keen on her comparing that quip from that idiot to the racist abuse the Williams sister got either which is clearly much more offensive.

Not sure what to make of this really, the players all have families in Russia so only so much they can say sadly.

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
the rapist has been losing consistently this year but the douche is now back at no: 1...one can't have everything i guess...

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
After donkey's years of the Grand Slams making up their own rules they've suddenly decided they need consistency on final set ties breaks with a first to ten with a two point advantage at 6 games all. The US Open has had a final set tie break pretty much since the onset of tie breaks with no difference in the scoring system. Wimbledon introduced a 12 all tie break only a couple of years ago. The French Open has not had one at all. Australia were first to use the 10 point breaker. Probably more a case of TV broadcasters not wanting longer sets.

Niall

International Coach
Surprised Nadal is bothering with this event , does not look fit and been sluggish so far. Korda should have beaten him and was fortunate to bump into Opelka and Kyrigos who both have really poor returning games which means Rafa got so many free points.

Opelka may fix that somewhat which will make him pretty formidable in the next few years.

Kyrigos though when it comes to breaking serve etc, probably is on the same level as Isner when he decides to show up which isn't ideal to say the least.

Niall

International Coach
Not sure Nadal wins this tbh, boy wonder Alcarez is looking immense these days, arguably the 3rd fav for the French as I type.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
fritz on the rise...ends nadal's streak, hopefully on his way to a top 10 ranking and swiatek clutch as usual in finals vs sakkari, so many breaks of serve in that match...good results both!

Last edited:

Shady Slim

International Coach
After donkey's years of the Grand Slams making up their own rules they've suddenly decided they need consistency on final set ties breaks with a first to ten with a two point advantage at 6 games all. The US Open has had a final set tie break pretty much since the onset of tie breaks with no difference in the scoring system. Wimbledon introduced a 12 all tie break only a couple of years ago. The French Open has not had one at all. Australia were first to use the 10 point breaker. Probably more a case of TV broadcasters not wanting longer sets.
this annoys me, as someone who loves the long tiebreaker!!
it takes a person of great temperance and great courage to go out at the apex; queen!!

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Probably a few sighs of relief from other players on the tour hearing that news - I would have expected her to have plenty of grand slams at her mercy over the next few years.

But yeah, respect her decision and good on her for everything that she's achieved in such a short time.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
the question is why? she is still very young and at the peak of her prowess, just feels like a weird decision...obviously i don't know what's going on in her life and not trying to judge, just trying to understand...

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How about a return to cricket? Obviously she'd never make that ludicrously stacked Australian team, but WBBL would be a more laid-back lifestyle than travelling the world to play tennis.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
How about a return to cricket? Obviously she'd never make that ludicrously stacked Australian team, but WBBL would be a more laid-back lifestyle than travelling the world to play tennis.
I was going to make a somewhat less than serious post saying exactly that, but it actually isn't the worst idea