• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2014-15

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
That's like semi pro in fifa... through pass into a massive hole at the back
Can blame 3/4 players for each goal but Defensive organization was all over the place for both goals today and that's crucial when you play higher pressing high line particular.

Weird to change the formation and pattern all over again today when the team was just settling more into the diamond as it is after the inital 3-5-2 spell and it showed in the start.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought the first goal was mostly just very good. There are mistakes but they aren't huge ones, just happened to be punished this time by a good ball+ great finish.

Second goal was a complete shambles.

cpr

International Coach
Blaming Jones for the first goal - Rojo had to move accross to intercept any ball into the box, but Jones could see the big gap Sessignon had, and just did not bother to react. He marked his open 10 yards well. 2nd goal was WBA exploiting a dozy moment from Rafael with good play - they deliberately dragged Jones out to make the space, and benifitted well from a lapse from Rafael - shame as he'd had a good game overall (bar his shooting), and is starting to suggest he's overcome his regular defensive lapses. Both their goals were very well finished though.

Rojo was starting to look assured to me, but both Herrara and Di Maria looked tired. It was pretty clear Herrara wasn't with it.

Bar hitting the post, van Persie did the usual square root of jack, and Januzaj looked lost on the right - he basically was doing a Valencia every time he met a defender, but made it easier by blatently going back onto his left each time.

Fellani backing up my summer claims to give him a second chance - usually by this point in a season my summer claims have died on their ****

cpr

International Coach
Yeah, that was one of my Dwight Yorke moments (Why are we buying him, he's *****....)

Though when fit i still rate Carroll as a damn good striker, very strong in the air, can hit a more than decent shot, would probably be able to beat Anderson in a mud wrestling match, whats not to like?

Meanwhile I'm currently wondering when RVP thinks pre-season ends, It took me 60 mins tonight to point out to my dad he was playing, approximately 15 minutes quicker than in other games i've seen this year (I'm not claiming to have seen all, I'm not masochistic)

My argument at the time was for the money Carroll would be a decent long term investment who'd pay Liverpool back over a decade with a bit of faith in him - that faith wasn't given though they did get a decent return from West Ham.

RVP I felt was expensive for a player his age (he's 2 months younger than me, Christ.....) and queried whether it was a long term investment worth making. Debut season was great, I'll let him off for the Moyes years, sorry, months.... But he's not really turned up this year either IMO.

Uppercut

Blaming Jones for the first goal - Rojo had to move accross to intercept any ball into the box, but Jones could see the big gap Sessignon had, and just did not bother to react. He marked his open 10 yards well. 2nd goal was WBA exploiting a dozy moment from Rafael with good play - they deliberately dragged Jones out to make the space, and benifitted well from a lapse from Rafael - shame as he'd had a good game overall (bar his shooting), and is starting to suggest he's overcome his regular defensive lapses. Both their goals were very well finished though.

Rojo was starting to look assured to me, but both Herrara and Di Maria looked tired. It was pretty clear Herrara wasn't with it.

Bar hitting the post, van Persie did the usual square root of jack, and Januzaj looked lost on the right - he basically was doing a Valencia every time he met a defender, but made it easier by blatently going back onto his left each time.

Fellani backing up my summer claims to give him a second chance - usually by this point in a season my summer claims have died on their ****
Rojo had a shocker for the second. If your opponent's only striker gets a clear run on goal like that there's at least 2 and probably 3 players who have totally ****ed up.

I'm not sure Jones should be coming over to Sessegnon for the first and he probably wouldn't have got there on time anyway since he smashes it first time for 20 yards.

Januzaj was absolutely terrible, hopefully he's not coming down with second season syndrome. Van Persie completely uninvolved too.

Fellaini was great when he came on. Played the way he used to play against us.

OverratedSanity

RVP after that Australia game in the world cup has looked like a shadow of himself. Has hardly done anything since then apart from poking in a couple of goals.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I actually take Harry's side on this one. Good for him for calling Taarabt out on this - the guy is clearly a terrible professional. You know someone must be dire if they make Harry look like the good guy.

Uppercut

I actually take Harry's side on this one. Good for him for calling Taarabt out on this - the guy is clearly a terrible professional. You know someone must be dire if they make Harry look like the good guy.
Did you see Taarabt's Daily Mail interview? Shows pictures that basically prove he's not overweight at all and Harry made the whole thing up. Then gives some very believable info on the complete lack of cohesion in training. Also claims that Redknapp doesn't come to training sessions so wouldn't know whether he's fit or not anyway.

I mean, he's clearly an awkward character, but Redknapp's entire career is built on getting the best out of players like that. Really looks to me like he's lost the plot.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Did you see Taarabt's Daily Mail interview? Shows pictures that basically prove he's not overweight at all and Harry made the whole thing up. Then gives some very believable info on the complete lack of cohesion in training. Also claims that Redknapp doesn't come to training sessions so wouldn't know whether he's fit or not anyway.

I mean, he's clearly an awkward character, but Redknapp's entire career is built on getting the best out of players like that. Really looks to me like he's lost the plot.
I'm not sure who to believe tbh. The pics in the Daily Mail article do not prove much imo - could just be a case of "sucking it in", as it were - particularly as recent pics of him playing do suggest he is rather more rotund than he appears here. I have no trouble believing his point about training though.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You do wonder what Harry actually does. No coincidence that his only good run at QPR was when McClaren was there.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Hopefully the continued QPR crapness will also see off the widely perpetuated myth than Glenn Hoddle is somehow the messiah of English football as well.

cpr

International Coach
Rojo had a shocker for the second. If your opponent's only striker gets a clear run on goal like that there's at least 2 and probably 3 players who have totally ****ed up.

I'm not sure Jones should be coming over to Sessegnon for the first and he probably wouldn't have got there on time anyway since he smashes it first time for 20 yards.

Januzaj was absolutely terrible, hopefully he's not coming down with second season syndrome. Van Persie completely uninvolved too.

Fellaini was great when he came on. Played the way he used to play against us.
I'd have to see the 2nd again, my impression was Rojo was covering his side of defence well, held his line with Shaw, and was generally weary of any pass to the players around him, and the run came from the side of defence Jones/Rafael should be co-ordinated on. I'll absolve Jones of the blame, as he was drawn out to try and win the ball. To me it was more a good attacking move making the space, though certainly aided by Rafael being too far back.

I'll stick with my Jones criticism for the first, as Sessegnon gets a run on him, comes from behind Jones into the massive gap in front, and Jones had enough time and field of vision to see the gap he'd found and at least try and close it down, instead its Rojo who has to turn and nearly get the tackle in. Jones was just a spectator for it. Jones can't just stay and mark space, he must go with his man, and if it goes behind him then the RB should be there to cover. Likewise Rojo needs to take the position he does to try and cut out the easy cross into the box, and if thats not tried (as it wasn't) then hope Jones/Rafael have moved across to pick up the players - Rojo not helped by the fact Shaw had got himself out of position.

I didn't think too much of Shaw either during the game TBH, least he's got youth and inexperience with the side as a factor on his side.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Hopefully the continued QPR crapness will also see off the widely perpetuated myth than Glenn Hoddle is somehow the messiah of English football as well.
QPR played well on Sunday. Admittedly it was against a poor side, but it was still a game they could have won, unlike some of their earlier performances.

Uppercut

I'd have to see the 2nd again, my impression was Rojo was covering his side of defence well, held his line with Shaw, and was generally weary of any pass to the players around him, and the run came from the side of defence Jones/Rafael should be co-ordinated on. I'll absolve Jones of the blame, as he was drawn out to try and win the ball. To me it was more a good attacking move making the space, though certainly aided by Rafael being too far back.

I'll stick with my Jones criticism for the first, as Sessegnon gets a run on him, comes from behind Jones into the massive gap in front, and Jones had enough time and field of vision to see the gap he'd found and at least try and close it down, instead its Rojo who has to turn and nearly get the tackle in. Jones was just a spectator for it. Jones can't just stay and mark space, he must go with his man, and if it goes behind him then the RB should be there to cover. Likewise Rojo needs to take the position he does to try and cut out the easy cross into the box, and if thats not tried (as it wasn't) then hope Jones/Rafael have moved across to pick up the players - Rojo not helped by the fact Shaw had got himself out of position.

I didn't think too much of Shaw either during the game TBH, least he's got youth and inexperience with the side as a factor on his side.
I think this is kind of inconsistent? You're saying Jones was marking empty space for the first and needed to come across to the man, but Rojo was doing a good job of marking his "side of the defence" (empty space) for the second. Of course Rafael should have moved across to cover, but Rojo should have too. On first look I thought Rafael had played him onside but having watched again I think he'd have been onside anyway.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Damian Martinez in goal for Arsenal tomorrow night. Hopefully he'll have a better time of it than he did in his last first team run out.