• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2014-15

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah it's a tiny workaround that makes basically no difference.

The point that United's start has been the worst in the country is definitely true. It's the classic Levy balls-up where not having your transfer business done by the first fixture costs crucial points.

Last edited:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Yeah I would obviously agree that our start has been terrible but it is still a silly system. Basically punishes teams for their good results in the prior season and rewards them for poor results. For instance if Sunderland go to Chelsea and get a draw it will show up on that system as -2 points which is just silly. There are better ways to tell that we have made a poor start, for instance that we have 5 points from 5 theoretically fairly easy games.

Uppercut

Yeah true. It's kind of classic quant-bollocks- showing something that can be easily be explained+argued with words using an unnecessarily complicated stat-based model.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Don't think it's bollocks at all. A team might have a different fixture order one season to the next and it takes into account the sides beaten rather than the table as it lies irrespective of the quality faced. Not that it's perfect; momentum counts; but it's a pretty decent guide as guides go at this stage of the season.

As for the discussion about goals; La Liga had a whopping 39 goals this past week.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Don't think it's bollocks at all. A team might have a different fixture order one season to the next and it takes into account the sides beaten rather than the table as it lies irrespective of the quality faced. Not that it's perfect; momentum counts; but it's a pretty decent guide as guides go at this stage of the season.
True but this doesn't contradict me or Uppcercut's points. Yeah fixture orders are different and different teams have starts to the season of differing difficulty but this is a poor way of analysing that because it is confused by freak results in the prior season. And Uppercut's point that all of this stuff can easily be explained with words rather than needing to use this still stands as well.

Stuff like the Storeytime table (Storeytime 2013/14 | RedCafe.net) isn't perfect but it is better as it measures how a side is doing taking into account their opposition's league position the previous season, so the actual results against last season's sides are taken out of the equation. There are still more precise ways which are better still and are genuinely useful, but they are quite boring to describe here. Obviously it doesn't take rocket science to guess that United are doing the worst of all the sides using whatever method.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Nah it's a tiny workaround that makes basically no difference.

The point that United's start has been the worst in the country is definitely true. It's the classic Levy balls-up where not having your transfer business done by the first fixture costs crucial points.

If you supported a newly promoted team, would you accept the projected? Rwmembering by designyour projected score is going to be one of the 3 lowest unless you start killing it in the league by which point assigning you a relagated teams progression makes no sense.

Agree about United but I dont think anyone needed a table to work out the start has been bad.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Teams clearly have a different fixture list each year (without going into rel/pro) again. The thing is the table and fixture list does a pretty good job too and in the end of the day last years performance doesnt mean much as Halsey says too.

End of the day its just a table and people are going to get more out of it than others.

Spurs update: we are so rubbish after Thursday night European matches..

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Urghhhh didn't realise the Cup game was this week. So many injuries in the middle of the park. And then the Derby. :bag:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah, the League Cup is just rubbish for the sides in Europe. In the next two weeks Arsenal play Spurs, Chelsea and Galatasaray in what's probably a must win game at home. I'll be annoyed if any first team starters get minutes.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
As an Arsenal fan I really enjoy the Carling Cup. It's just a chance to see a load of players that you wouldn't do ordinarily, particularly younger players, and have a bit of fun. The games often turn out to be really good as well. They're also apparently really good games for young families to go to, as there's less demand for tickets and less yobbo/tattooed idiots around, making for a more friendly atmosphere.

I can see why fans of teams who don't have the luxury of rotating a squad in the way Arsenal can wouldn't be keen on it though.

flibbertyjibber

I love the League Cup, we are going to lose tonight but it should be a good crowd and a decent night. Only trouble is my niece's fella is coming and he is a Norwich fan. Bound to give me loads of abuse when they win.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We have had a couple of great nights in it ourselves but it has nothing on some of our FA cup runs. I just don't see any point in it at all, even lower league clubs (us included) have started resting players for it now. Would just get rid of it completely, would free up some space to make the FA cup more important.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
We have had a couple of great nights in it ourselves but it has nothing on some of our FA cup runs. I just don't see any point in it at all, even lower league clubs (us included) have started resting players for it now. Would just get rid of it completely, would free up some space to make the FA cup more important.
This is what has ruined it. Smaller clubs are just copying the big boys for no reason. Even the mid table Premier League teams have no need to rest players.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
This is what has ruined it. Smaller clubs are just copying the big boys for no reason. Even the mid table Premier League teams have no need to rest players.
Tbf 99 times out of 100 the best the smaller clubs can really hope for is progressing to a stage where they end up meeting one of the bigger sides who's actually taking it seriously for once, and then get knocked out. Not really much point in that, especially when you consider they could devote time and effort to pursue an FA Cup run which is more glamourous and financially rewarding.