• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Dortmund's defending just wasn't good enough.

Bayern lucky Dante was on the field, but were the better side.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Bayern had a bit of luck, but fully deserving winners - it always feels right to me when the European Cup is actually won by the best team in Europe.

Cheeky/disrespectful (delete as appropriate) post-match from Heynckes:

"We know Goetze will be joining us and I don't think Lewandowski will be hanging about too much either."

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Neymar confirmed to Barca for next season. Direct replacement for Villa, one would imagine. Fee being quoted as US$36m, which is considerably less than the rumours would have had you believe it would be.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Neymar confirmed to Barca for next season. Direct replacement for Villa, one would imagine. Fee being quoted as US$36m, which is considerably less than the rumours would have had you believe it would be.
It's 25 million euros + 3 million for 55% of the share.

Spanish rules are different for third party ownership from England so Barca don't necessarily have to buy the remaining 45%. They might though at the same rate.

Would end up costing them 45 million Euros or something. He is owned by a number of different companies and what not.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The fact that it would allow sides that were relegated or playing in lower leagues to qualify would make a mockery of the whole thing too.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
They should **** the Europa off altogether and bring back the Cup Winners Cup
The problem with the Europa is that from a marketing POV there's no way round the "it's like the Champions League, but ****ter" aspect of the competition (UEFA haven't helped in this regard by making the format exactly the same as the Champions League, introducing a Europa League anthem, changing the name of the competition etc). Same would happen with a rejuvinated CWC, and you can't make the Champions League any bigger than it already is without seriously impacting Europe's domestic leagues.

Every year with the Europa League I see the last 32 lineup, see that it's got proper teams like Ajax, Anderlecht, Benfica etc, think "yeah, I'll try and catch a bit of that" then never bother watching the final stages of the competition. Didn't even watch the first hour of the final, just didn't give enough of a **** to bother turning the TV on. Yet for the Champions League final I had the build up on from 6pm (Dortmund playing did help in that regard), turning off the cricket to do so.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I just never bother watching the Europa because there's usually been Champions League games on the Tuesday and Wednesday.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It's a combination of factors that turns me off watching it, most of which have been outlined above. The early stages are dross, the Champions League has been on the night before, and even when you get a knockout game between two decent sides it's just so painfully obvious that the whole thing is Champions League lite. The fact that it's broadcast on ITV4 doesn't exactly add to it's credibility, either.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
The fact that this year's final was contested between two teams that were jettisoned into the competition because they weren't good enough to progress in the Champions League surely doesn't help its image either.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, don't like that part about the Europa league.

Have watched it quite a bit this season though. It's obviously a 2nd tier competition but some decent teams in it and the quality of football isn't bad either.