• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pro-Wrestling Thread II

Agent TBY

International Captain
You missed out, I reckon.

Smackdown during that period between Summerslam '02 and WMXX was probably some of the most fun I had watching wrestling. Heyman WAG.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, I kind of regret it now.

Not sure what my favourite period for watching wrestling was tbh. Probably from around the time the Radicalz showed up to around the time the invasion stuff started I guess.

The time when Evolution were dominating RAW was good as well, despite the HHH burials.

And the time Jericho was World Champ in 2008 was awesome as well.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Best for PPV main events story wise was 98-99

Best for TV was as Sledger said, radicals through to invasion

Most underrated is smackdown in the summer of 09. Incredible every week.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The TV main events throughout that Radicalz to Invasion period were so good as well. Would often be 6 or 8 man tag team matches involving Rock/Taker/Kane/Hardyz/Dudleyz/HHH/DX/E&C/Radicalz.

Man, those were the days.

I swear TV matches used to last so much longer back then as well. Or am I remembering that incorrectly?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Overall match quality in WWE has been at it's best for the last 4 years though IMO. Missing that absolute diamond on the card aside from Rock's spell but in-ring I don't reckon its ever been better.

And it proves that it will never be enough to get the audience the E craves

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The TV main events throughout that Radicalz to Invasion period were so good as well. Would often be 6 or 8 man tag team matches involving Rock/Taker/Kane/Hardyz/Dudleyz/HHH/DX/E&C/Radicalz.

Man, those were the days.

I swear TV matches used to last so much longer back then as well. Or am I remembering that incorrectly?
A little I reckon. But the roster was smaller and you had Raw and Smackdown so they worked hard to keep it fresh. Angle, Benoit (who??) and Jericho made the midcard worth something. 98-99 was great but the midcard was utter turd, and this gave them the whole package. But those three were quickly elevated (though Jericho and Benoit would fall back and forth for years) but then Guerrero, Edge etc stepped up

I've never been one to whine about **** matches on TV but the PPVs from 99 were turd other than the top of the show. They addressed that in 2000 but the lower card was still ****e. PPVs in the modern era generally better overall, as per my previous post

17/19/26 all contenders for my favourite mania

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Overall match quality in WWE has been at it's best for the last 4 years though IMO. Missing that absolute diamond on the card aside from Rock's spell but in-ring I don't reckon its ever been better.

And it proves that it will never be enough to get the audience the E craves
Yeah, I think you're probably right, particularly towards the ME side of things. Tbf though, whilst the match quality has been high, they have genuinely lacked really top performers (by which I mean star power and drawing potential) in abundance for a while. They've lost a lot of well-established stars over the last few years (Edge, HBK, Rock, Jericho, Punk, probably some others I can't remember) in a relatively short space of time, and so while the match quality is the highest it's been in a while, the star power is probably the lowest it's been for the best part of a decade.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
A little I reckon. But the roster was smaller and you had Raw and Smackdown so they worked hard to keep it fresh. Angle, Benoit (who??) and Jericho made the midcard worth something. 98-99 was great but the midcard was utter turd, and this gave them the whole package. But those three were quickly elevated (though Jericho and Benoit would fall back and forth for years) but then Guerrero, Edge etc stepped up

I've never been one to whine about **** matches on TV but the PPVs from 99 were turd other than the top of the show. They addressed that in 2000 but the lower card was still ****e. PPVs in the modern era generally better overall, as per my previous post

17/19/26 all contenders for my favourite mania
I think the lower card matches during 2000 get a slightly unfair rep tbh. They were hardly great a lot of the time, but mainly because you didn't care about the performers, rather than the wrestling on show being garbage. I mean, you'd often get guys like Tazz, Crash Holly, Val Venis, Al Snow, Test, and even Kurt Angle in lower card matches, and they were all good value.

You'd also get a load of ****e, like Steve Blackman and the Headbangers, but on the whole I don't thing the lower cards of 2000 ppvs were that bad. You probably wouldn't ever give a crap about them, but they usually did their job.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've been watching TNA a fair bit recently and the pushes Lashley and MVP are getting is working for me big time.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Is DIxie Carter any better at being on-screen these days? Was ****ing horrible last time I saw.
Apparently she got badly hurt when Bubba Dudley powerbombed her through a table the other night too...

Anyway, Jericho returning to feud with Wyatt is all kinds of awesome.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
That is amazing. Btw, do you listen to the Attitude Era Podcast. That **** is amazing.

cover drive man

International Captain
Does anyone else not get this whole wade barret craze? Yeah funny gimmick (one which could have been done by a number of other guys by the way), but the guy's actual wrestling is atrocious. I remember watching the match with RVD, I was really annoyed at the push so I decided to count how many actual wrestling moves he used. He used just three, one of which was his finisher and another was a rest hold. I don't think I've ever seen a decent wrestling match out of him. But he has that smarky group of fans on his side (the same group who, ironically, say Cena only has five moves)

Also, like the avatar?

Last edited:

nsniks

State Vice-Captain
Does anyone else not get this whole wade barret craze? Yeah funny gimmick (one which could have been done by a number of other guys by the way), but the guy's actual wrestling is atrocious. I remember watching the match with RVD, I was really annoyed at the push so I decided to count how many actual wrestling moves he used. He used just three, one of which was his finisher and another was a rest hold. I don't think I've ever seen a decent wrestling match out of him. But he has that smarky group of fans on his side (the same group who, ironically, say Cena only has four moves)

Also, like the avatar?
Same here, never liked Barrett. The only match that I liked from Wade Barrett was his match against Sheamus in main event. It was I think his best match

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I've never much liked Barrett, but I think you're being a bit harsh. He's perfectly serviceable as far as ring work in the E goes.