• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pro-Wrestling Thread II

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
A timely reminder that all wrestling games prior to WWF Warzone sucked.

They followed that with Attitude and the rest is history
Warzone and Attitude were crap also. WCW/NWO Revenge was the best wrasslin' game of the time. WWF/E games were poor till THQ acquired the licence for them.
They may be crap now but they were a massive quality boost at the time.

The THQ games were a step up again though. Played Smackdown non stop when on study leave for my gcses
Yeah, fair one. I think I must have spent many many hours playing Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy on the N64, they were quality.

The latest WWE game by THQ is meant to be pretty damn good also, but I've not played it. Not played any wrestling games for yonks actually.
I never had No Mercy but I played Wrestlemania 2000 and something about it was just very very good. The experience was just very authentic. The new THQ games are all high quality but have some annoyances like little physics glitches or repetition of rubbish moves like abdominal stretch.
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. People complained that WM2000 was too slow paced, but somehow it captured the atmosphere of real wrestling near perfectly. No Mercy was very similar to WM2000, but just had better graphics, more characters, features and moves and so on, definitely the best wrestling game I ever played. So good.

The main gripe I have with wrestling games these days, is that the difficulty settings are rubbish. It seems the only way the game gets harder when you turn it up a notch is that the computer just counters literally everything you do, which just leads you to pulling your hair out. Contrastingly, turning up the difficulty on WM2000 actually just made it feel like much more of a challenge, in an enjoyable way. Loved how your ability to counter/deal damage to an opponent would differ depending on the ability of your own character etc... You would always feel like you had been in much more of a war after a match with HHH as opposed to a match with Mosh and Thrasher or whoever.
Indeed. The reliance on reversals can only work effectively if they drastically increase the number of reversals that there is and this does not mean just replacing the 5 reversals with slightly different ones each year.

One thing which I'd love to see is a different experience facing Punk than facing The Big Show. On the one hand you have someone who will go down easily but will get up quickly and on the other you have someone who can (simplistically speaking) deck you with a punch but takes a while to get up from a knock down and is slow at launching attacks.
Yeah, I think that's exactly it tbh. WM2000 and No Mercy had loads of counters programmed for specific moves. Wrestling games these days are just filled with generic counters that reverse grapples into hammer locks of abdominal stretches, and maybe a few specific ones for finishers etc... It's lazy programming imo. If they could crack that, they'd be onto a real winner.

And yeah, agreed again. That kind of ties in to the point about counters as well actually, as it would always annoy me on previous games how someone like Big Show or Viscera would counter an arm drag the same way as Rey Mysterio would (i.e. by doing several flips and cartwheels etc...).
Nah gagf, Super Nintendo's "Royal Rumble" and "Raw" was ****ing legendary for the time. Especially the royal rumble feature in them both. Was so much fun when it'd be you in teh ring with like 12 other blokes and you're trying to throw them out.

Obviously Warzone and Attitude was awesome, and then the Smackdown series was another step up, but at the time those SNES games were brilliant.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Now Wrestlemania the Arcade Game on SNES was truly **** :laugh:

I still remember how the players had super powers, and Undertaker would fire some ghost **** out of his hands.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
So, time for part two. I have asked for the previous one closed as suggested by Jack.

Seeing as its a new thread let's do a quick WWE title roll call.

WWE Champion: John Cena
World Heavyweight Champion: Randy Orton
US Champion: Kofi Kingston
IC Champion: Wade Barrett
Tag Champs: Big Show and Kane
Divas Champ: Brie Bella (I think it's Brie anyway)

I think Sting is TNA Champ, no idea about ROH.

Anyway, as you were...
Just clicked on the first post, quite funny looking at the list of title holders as despite making a few new stars in the last few years, we have the same holders of the WWE, IC and US belts as when I made that post. Additionally Kane is still a tag title holder

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It is quite funny how they seem to revert back to 'safe' champions every now and again, but I suppose it's understandable when they're pushing a relatively unknown quantity as one of the world champions.

In the time since you made the original post they've had quite a lot of new up and comers as champs too, I guess. In fact, I thought it was pretty harsh on Cesaro that he didn't get a WM spot, as it sounds like he's been working his arse off.

Something I've noticed, and think I've mentioned it before, is that they very very rarely put the WWE title on a guy who they aren't absolutely sure will be a top draw and do a fantastic job, and so the prestige of this title is way more than the WHC, despite the fact that they are both "world" titles. I mean, even a guy like Jericho, who's had multiple World Title Reigns, has never held the WWE title, unless you consider his undisputed title run.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well why wouldn't you consider his undisputed title reign? Has the WWE title lineage. Fair point since then.

And even Undertaker hasn't had it for well over a decade - they always opted for sticking the Gold Belt on him, instead.

Makes Punk's run all the more impressive really.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Well why wouldn't you consider his undisputed title reign? Has the WWE title lineage. Fair point since then.

And even Undertaker hasn't had it for well over a decade - they always opted for sticking the Gold Belt on him, instead.

Makes Punk's run all the more impressive really.
Dunno, it's just the way that whenever it is referenced, it's always as the "undisputed champion", never the "wwe champion" or "undisputed wwe champion". That may be for kayfabe reasons, so to make him sound more impressive or whatever, but there's just something about it for me that doesn't sit right. I might be remembering incorrectly, but even at the time he was undisputed champion he never really was treated, nor came across, as the very top guy.

And I suppose that is right about Taker, but I would say that's more to do with the fact that the WHC title was on SD at the times he was put into a main event feud. Had the WWE title been on SD at that time, I've no doubt they would have put it on him without a minutes hesitation. Same goes for the WHC title run that HBK had after his comeback.

And yeah, really does make Punk's run impressive. It's very much a sign of how much they value him imo, and rightly so really.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For me, one of the strangest things this year has been the treatment of Ryback

The guy is supposedly one of the most popular "new" faces in the WWE for years and yet he went around in circles for much of the year

Apparently he is being set up to beat Cena for the title in the near future but why he hasnt been there already is a mystery to me as his character is far more interesting than many of the oldies

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Watched RAW for the first time in ages last night. Just couldn't get into it. Just feels like I've seen it all before these days.

Also, hate the way RAW is now 3 hours long. I know it's been like that for a while, but I had forgotten.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, it's good and all, I'm glad to see him being pushed too. I just...dunno, can't make myself be up for it. I'd normally say I probably need a break from watching it all, but I've not watched any wrestling since WM!

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Watched RAW for the first time in ages last night. Just couldn't get into it. Just feels like I've seen it all before these days.

Also, hate the way RAW is now 3 hours long. I know it's been like that for a while, but I had forgotten.
Watch last week's Raw, very good.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
It's funny how I watched The Devil's Rejects the other day which in turn led to an extended Terry Reid jam. And then I happen to see The Wyatt Family promos for the first time which have to be some of the slickest in a long, long time. Don't belong in this time actually but I hope WWE don't mess this up. And if Jake The Snake does manage a comeback sometime in the near future?...the possibilities with him and these guys are endless.