• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pro-Wrestling Thread II

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah sure answer Sledger and not me, ****
He knows that responding to me is more likely to illicit an intelligent response.

Anyway, thanks lad, would be interested to hear. Will look in to going myself at some point in the near future if it's not too dear. Went to a house show there a few years back and it was a hoot, but can't remember how much the tickets were. I imagine tickets for a TV taping would be a little more.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
A timely reminder that all wrestling games prior to WWF Warzone sucked.

They followed that with Attitude and the rest is history

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Warzone and Attitude were crap also. WCW/NWO Revenge was the best wrasslin' game of the time. WWF/E games were poor till THQ acquired the licence for them.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
They may be crap now but they were a massive quality boost at the time.

The THQ games were a step up again though. Played Smackdown non stop when on study leave for my gcses

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, fair one. I think I must have spent many many hours playing Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy on the N64, they were quality.

The latest WWE game by THQ is meant to be pretty damn good also, but I've not played it. Not played any wrestling games for yonks actually.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, fair one. I think I must have spent many many hours playing Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy on the N64, they were quality.

The latest WWE game by THQ is meant to be pretty damn good also, but I've not played it. Not played any wrestling games for yonks actually.
I never had No Mercy but I played Wrestlemania 2000 and something about it was just very very good. The experience was just very authentic. The new THQ games are all high quality but have some annoyances like little physics glitches or repetition of rubbish moves like abdominal stretch.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I never had No Mercy but I played Wrestlemania 2000 and something about it was just very very good. The experience was just very authentic. The new THQ games are all high quality but have some annoyances like little physics glitches or repetition of rubbish moves like abdominal stretch.
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. People complained that WM2000 was too slow paced, but somehow it captured the atmosphere of real wrestling near perfectly. No Mercy was very similar to WM2000, but just had better graphics, more characters, features and moves and so on, definitely the best wrestling game I ever played. So good.

The main gripe I have with wrestling games these days, is that the difficulty settings are rubbish. It seems the only way the game gets harder when you turn it up a notch is that the computer just counters literally everything you do, which just leads you to pulling your hair out. Contrastingly, turning up the difficulty on WM2000 actually just made it feel like much more of a challenge, in an enjoyable way. Loved how your ability to counter/deal damage to an opponent would differ depending on the ability of your own character etc... You would always feel like you had been in much more of a war after a match with HHH as opposed to a match with Mosh and Thrasher or whoever.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. People complained that WM2000 was too slow paced, but somehow it captured the atmosphere of real wrestling near perfectly. No Mercy was very similar to WM2000, but just had better graphics, more characters, features and moves and so on, definitely the best wrestling game I ever played. So good.

The main gripe I have with wrestling games these days, is that the difficulty settings are rubbish. It seems the only way the game gets harder when you turn it up a notch is that the computer just counters literally everything you do, which just leads you to pulling your hair out. Contrastingly, turning up the difficulty on WM2000 actually just made it feel like much more of a challenge, in an enjoyable way. Loved how your ability to counter/deal damage to an opponent would differ depending on the ability of your own character etc... You would always feel like you had been in much more of a war after a match with HHH as opposed to a match with Mosh and Thrasher or whoever.
Indeed. The reliance on reversals can only work effectively if they drastically increase the number of reversals that there is and this does not mean just replacing the 5 reversals with slightly different ones each year.

One thing which I'd love to see is a different experience facing Punk than facing The Big Show. On the one hand you have someone who will go down easily but will get up quickly and on the other you have someone who can (simplistically speaking) deck you with a punch but takes a while to get up from a knock down and is slow at launching attacks.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Indeed. The reliance on reversals can only work effectively if they drastically increase the number of reversals that there is and this does not mean just replacing the 5 reversals with slightly different ones each year.

One thing which I'd love to see is a different experience facing Punk than facing The Big Show. On the one hand you have someone who will go down easily but will get up quickly and on the other you have someone who can (simplistically speaking) deck you with a punch but takes a while to get up from a knock down and is slow at launching attacks.
Yeah, I think that's exactly it tbh. WM2000 and No Mercy had loads of counters programmed for specific moves. Wrestling games these days are just filled with generic counters that reverse grapples into hammer locks of abdominal stretches, and maybe a few specific ones for finishers etc... It's lazy programming imo. If they could crack that, they'd be onto a real winner.

And yeah, agreed again. That kind of ties in to the point about counters as well actually, as it would always annoy me on previous games how someone like Big Show or Viscera would counter an arm drag the same way as Rey Mysterio would (i.e. by doing several flips and cartwheels etc...).

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha, I bet they will actually. Or at least they would if Vince was able to write the storylines regarding his own death.