• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NRL 2011 Season thread

howardj

International Coach
Haha, no way mate. Hayne should be the first bloke picked for NSW. Let's put it this way. If he was a Queenslander, even if he was playing utter ****e for his club side, he'd get picked. Why?

Because he's proven he plays well at that level, no matter what his club form. FMD two years ago the bloke was NSW's best player, and that was on the wing.

He has to be there. He's not perfect, but the bloke can play. And he usually plays well for NSW too.
Agreed.

NRL club form as an Origin selection criteria is way over-rated when you're talking about blokes who have excelled in Origin when given the chance - unless of course you're nearing the end of your career and the lack of form is part of an overall decline in your performance.

Hayne gives NSW strike-power. I just don't think you're going to beat Queensland 12-10 or some such. You need to at least be able to score 20 points.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hayne hasn't shown much at Origin level at fullback though. I remember going to game 2 last year, and I was a little worried he could be the difference at the back.

I stopped worrying when we were 30-0 up.

Keep him on the wing.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hayne hasn't shown much at Origin level at fullback though. I remember going to game 2 last year, and I was a little worried he could be the difference at the back.

I stopped worrying when we were 30-0 up.

Keep him on the wing.
Lol.. Doesn't count for anything when the 12 blokes in front of you can't tackle mate.

ripper868

International Coach
Loving that the Tigers were backed into $165 favourites...Jumped on the Broncos at $2.30, Just paid for my flight to sydney this weekend.

Burgey

Good. It's your shout. Which pub?

I wake this morning to hear Parra look like signing just what we need, an inconsistent, flash in the pan half back who rushes out of the line to miss tackles, is selfish, won't pass the ball even to Greg Inglis, has an off-and-on kicking game and is incapable of guiding an international pack around the park.

Ffs, we had Tim Smith already. Now they want Sandow. What a dire choice. They should have handed Cooper Kronk the keys to the Leagues Club, and brought back dollar drinks at Kicks of a Wednesday night. ****s.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Good. It's your shout. Which pub?

I wake this morning to hear Parra look like signing just what we need, an inconsistent, flash in the pan half back who rushes out of the line to miss tackles, is selfish, won't pass the ball even to Greg Inglis, has an off-and-on kicking game and is incapable of guiding an international pack around the park.

Ffs, we had Tim Smith already. Now they want Sandow. What a dire choice. They should have handed Cooper Kronk the keys to the Leagues Club, and brought back dollar drinks at Kicks of a Wednesday night. ****s.
Sandow isn't great, but he's a huge sight better than Robson. Trouble is there aren't alot of halfbacks going around, and no big names off contract in the next year or so. You're left with either scouring the lower grades for a talent which is a huge risk in itself, or sticking with your current mob and accept that you won't make the finals until something opens up for you. Sandow is young but has some pretty good play in him when he gets it right, but there's the question of whether he's just inconsistent or average.

That said for a small man he has an enormous amount of grub in him.

This will however be the big test for Kearney. Nothing sorts out the men from the boys in coaching terms like how they develop young playmakers.

Son Of Coco

Gee the Broncos are looking good at the moment. Even though I enjoy seeing them lose, they're going very well (I can't help but feel that, after rejoicing in their first round loss, it's partly my fault). Lockyer was brilliant the other night too, am surprised I don't find that difficult to say. Must be living in Brisbane rubbing off on me a bit. He also made a very good point in yesterday's Courier Mail about young players like Todd Carney being held up as role models, saying that if you're in your early 20's you haven't done enough or learned enough about life to be worthy of being anyone's role model.

Can't believe I tipped against them against the Tigers now. Easily said in hindsight, but they've been so consistent over the past 5 weeks it seems a bit silly.

Am glad I didn't sell Ben Barba a couple of weeks back in the Dream Team thing...he's going alright.

Last edited:

Mister Wright

Gee the Broncos are looking good at the moment. Even though I enjoy seeing them lose, they're going very well (I can't help but feel that, after rejoicing in their first round loss, it's partly my fault). Lockyer was brilliant the other night too, am surprised I don't find that difficult to say. Must be living in Brisbane rubbing off on me a bit. He also made a very good point in yesterday's Courier Mail about young players like Todd Carney being held up as role models, saying that if you're in your early 20's you haven't done enough or learned enough about life to be worthy of being anyone's role model.

Can't believe I tipped against them against the Tigers now. Easily said in hindsight, but they've been so consistent over the past 5 weeks it seems a bit silly.

Am glad I didn't sell Ben Barba a couple of weeks back in the Dream Team thing...he's going alright.
Will you tip against them next week when the host the Bulldogs?

Son Of Coco

haha, I'm not sure yet! Will have to see how I feel when I remember to tip late Friday and then frantically make choices with no logic behind them once again.

howardj

International Coach
Geez Broncos looking good, aren't they.

Main challengers to the Saints at this point.

Hodges - just gives us a presence, an intimidation factor.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Been partying since roughly 10am yesterday ftr. I feel like it's the wizard of oz, and the witch is dead!

Burgey

You've had Chris Hicks, Chris Walker and Paul Whatuira play for Wenty the last few weeks to play that bloke. I just don't see it.
Kearney and I both see something in him, though I see three conceded tries every week.