• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NRL 2011 Season thread

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Anthony Watts, WAC, I mean who bashes their (now) ex-girlfriend? I hope he, along with Todd Carney have their contracts ripped up and are de-registered for a long time.
Watts is pure scum, and I hope the animal gets far worse punishment than simple deregistering. He should lose more than his career for what sounds like an absolutely sickening act.

But Carney? Really? We're going to ruin a mans career because he went out, MAYBE had a few drinks and went home without incident? The scummy media have dragged his name into this because there's nothing they love more than witch hunting a superstar. If, and only if he had an agreement with his club not to drink and they get more reliable evidence than "a few boozehounds saw him with what looked like alcohol" they could take action. Even then it should be wholely at the clubs discretion. If he cops anything worse than that it'll be the most blatant example of trial by media you'll ever see.

Not surprising to see News LTD papers leading the charge against the Roosters (who I have a severe dislike for ftr) either. The sooner those scum no longer have a vested interest in the game the better.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If there's a better defensive effort all year than Cooper's tackle over the line last night, I hope I see it. Won them the game IMHO.

howardj

International Coach
Watts is pure scum, and I hope the animal gets far worse punishment than simple deregistering. He should lose more than his career for what sounds like an absolutely sickening act.

But Carney? Really? We're going to ruin a mans career because he went out, MAYBE had a few drinks and went home without incident? The scummy media have dragged his name into this because there's nothing they love more than witch hunting a superstar. If, and only if he had an agreement with his club not to drink and they get more reliable evidence than "a few boozehounds saw him with what looked like alcohol" they could take action. Even then it should be wholely at the clubs discretion. If he cops anything worse than that it'll be the most blatant example of trial by media you'll ever see.

Not surprising to see News LTD papers leading the charge against the Roosters (who I have a severe dislike for ftr) either. The sooner those scum no longer have a vested interest in the game the better.
Yep, ridiculous to rip a guy's livelihood away just because he had a few beers on a Saturday night. From what I understand, there was no anti-social behaviour from him. The question needs to be asked though, why weren't these guys at the game supporting their teammates. It's a tin pot footy club, with **** house culture, when your injured players are not required to attend matches.

Burgey

Carney asked for, and was given, the night off because he told the club he wanted to go and see his mum in Goulburn.

Plainly a lie. No one wants to go to Goulburn of a Saturday night.

Spikey

Carney asked for, and was given, the night off because he told the club he wanted to go and see his mum in Goulburn.

what a terrible son

you would have thought he'd got her out of Goulburn by now

benchmark00

Never question the attraction of Flamingos Nightclub.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Area of weakness for us, so he's got every chance.

What's his deal? Pom parantage or moved over early doors?
I've found where he is England eligible, but can't find who he has given his allegiance to.

qrl.com said:
JACK REED PROFILE:

DOB: 15/07/1988
Height: 184cm
Weight: 99kg
Position: Centre/Back row
Junior Club: Bribie Warrigals
International Eligibility: England Eligible

Source: QRL

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
If there's a better defensive effort all year than Cooper's tackle over the line last night, I hope I see it. Won them the game IMHO.
Just saw the highlights. Holy ****!!! That has to be up there with the great all time tackles.

A new one for benchy's private stash.

howardj

International Coach
Now, if I can pop my medical hat on for a minute...and with no knowledge of Carney's mental state etc, I will say this....

It's apparent that when he thinks his career is on the line (his year out of the game at Atherton, and his comeback year for the Sydney Roosters) he behaves himself and does his upmost to stay out of harm's way.

On the other hand, when he thinks he's indespensible, after he has some great footy under his belt (his time at the Raiders, and this year after having won the Dally M medal) he slides back to his old ways - because he knows he has some credits in the bank.

I really think, when he eventually makes it back, like with Ben Cousins, his club and the NRL need to make it very clear to him that any slips and that's the end of his career. Test him every week, like they did with Cousins, and have the axe hanging over his head.

These guys only respond, only abstain, when you threaten to take away the thing that means the most to them. When they think they have some credits in the bank and the axe is not hanging over them...they take advantage.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
You might be right, but if that's the case he'll never learn until he actually gets punted for good. No threat of "this is your last chance, we're serious this time, really" is going to mean anything to him until the plug REALLY gets pulled at which point he's lost to the game by definition. Until then, any threat will not be taken seriously. Getting punted might end up being good for him, who knows?

To me, only reading into what the media tells us (a horrible way to judge a mans character of course) he looks like a guy who has a problem with alcohol, but doesn't really want to quit. He does because he's told to, and he knows he has to for his career, but he isn't mature enough as a person to actually do it for himself. That's why you get this off the wagon on the wagon behavior.

Tough issue, but if he's on the drink and not getting himself into trouble there's no way he should be punted. Given a few weeks off, sent into rehab definitely. IMO that's what we'll see happen in this case.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
You might be right, but if that's the case he'll never learn until he actually gets punted for good. No threat of "this is your last chance, we're serious this time, really" is going to mean anything to him until the plug REALLY gets pulled at which point he's lost to the game by definition. Until then, any threat will not be taken seriously. Getting punted might end up being good for him, who knows?

To me, only reading into what the media tells us (a horrible way to judge a mans character of course) he looks like a guy who has a problem with alcohol, but doesn't really want to quit. He does because he's told to, and he knows he has to for his career, but he isn't mature enough as a person to actually do it for himself. That's why you get this off the wagon on the wagon behavior.

Tough issue, but if he's on the drink and not getting himself into trouble there's no way he should be punted. Given a few weeks off, sent into rehab definitely. IMO that's what we'll see happen in this case.
I agree that the club saying it's his last chance won't mean much to him. Like with Cousins, it's really got to be an NRL thing - that they'll deregister him for life unless he complies with stringent conditions.

Also agree that normally you wouldn't punt a bloke just for being on the drink. But his life really seems to spiral out of control when he's on the sauce, so getting him to stay off it is really in his own interests.

I also think that with alcoholics there isn't always some underlying problem that makes them turn to the bottle. Some just start out loving getting pissed, and then get addicted.

Burgey

I wouldn't pick Hayne for Origin TBH, but with Stewart and Dugan always injured, who else is there that is good enough. I just think Hayne is playing like **** ATM, and his brain explosion cost his team the game on Friday.
Haha, no way mate. Hayne should be the first bloke picked for NSW. Let's put it this way. If he was a Queenslander, even if he was playing utter ****e for his club side, he'd get picked. Why?

Because he's proven he plays well at that level, no matter what his club form. FMD two years ago the bloke was NSW's best player, and that was on the wing.

He has to be there. He's not perfect, but the bloke can play. And he usually plays well for NSW too.