• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

howardj

International Coach
I'm sure you can appreciate that Western Sydney and Eastern Sydney are two totally different markets.
They are different markets, but not a world away. GWS will get belted in the press next year. The Daily Telegraph is genuinely hostile and will be sweating on the inevitable beltings that will be meted out next year. To my mind, it will actually set the cause of AFL back further than if you had a powerhouse Swans.

And the issue of dilluting the playing pool is true in the short term. But by moving into these markets, you increase the playing pool in the future, so it won't be diluted at all.
It will take years for any extra playing talent (generated by interest in the new teams) to come on stream. In the meantime, you'll have belting after belting. I do think there is a natural limit on how many teams a small population like Australia can sustain. Given the participation numbers and interest level, to my mind it's disproportionate to have two teams in SA and WA, and the same number in SE Queensland and Western Sydney.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They are different markets, but not a world away. GWS will get belted in the press next year. The Daily Telegraph is genuinely hostile and will be sweating on the inevitable beltings that will be meted out next year. To my mind, it will actually set the cause of AFL back further than if you had a powerhouse Swans.

It will take years for any extra playing talent (generated by interest in the new teams) to come on stream. In the meantime, you'll have belting after belting. I do think there is a natural limit on how many teams a small population like Australia can sustain. Given the participation numbers and interest level, to my mind it's disproportionate to have two teams in SA and WA, and the same number in SE Queensland and Western Sydney.
GWS, like GC, will get belted in matches for 3 years max. Then they'll be contenders.

They have probably the best list assembler in the business and have a blank cheque book to lure some big names in the next year or two.

Like what happened with Sydney (another franchise team), they will gain a heap of traction once they start winning games.

Just because they're going to get flogged next year and the year after doesn't mean they're doomed.

Redbacks

International Captain
In summary, the SANFL sucks and is killing football in SA because they see the two AFL teams as cash cows to help their support league and that only and SA people can try to blame victorians all they want
You're in dream land if you think this reflects the view of the public, it's a meme set out by Port because they failed to fulfil a contract signed via mutual consent.

The SANFL have an asset worth $160million at AAMI + the land (about $300mil) which is all theirs once AO is upgraded. The AFL should have taken the Port license away from them, and the Crows should be sold/made members club.

Burgey

i've never stepped foot in Adelaide and it concerns me that you have, and that you've admitted it
I'm only going by reputation. Went on a Central Australian excursion for two weeks in year 10 - out through Broken Hill, down to South Australia then up to Alice Springs. We got as far south as Port Augusta and then the Clare Valley, where I may or may not have smuggled a cheap bottle of Moselle into my tent. But even the school authorities back then were smart enough to avoid Adelaide.

Redbacks

International Captain
What exactly have they done wrong? Interstate teams can hardly cry that Melbourne teams are being treated better, because they most certainly are not.
Did they not mess up the financing for the greater western stand upgrade to the tune of millions and then in order to get a refinancing deal from the state government also agree to more fixtures at the G in september?

Redbacks

International Captain
Well duh. It's 9 against 1.

SANFL revenue 31 million pa. From AFL clubs 13 million.

SANFL club grants from this pool 3.2 million, other earning by the clubs 17 million.

not sure how much less they can take before Port admit they are not being hounded.

howardj

International Coach
I just think the AFL need to be careful in fledgling, fragile markets. Any net benefit derived by the Gold Coast will easily be wiped out by the decline with the Lions. Crowd numbers are way down in Brisbane, and in fledgling markets particularly such as this here in Brisbane, the interest in the game waxes and wanes with the fortunes of the teams themselves. With Rischettelli, Brennan etc off to the Suns, it's just moving players around with no net gain to the overall health of the competition. It remains to be seen whether the Gold Coast will be a powerhouse in 2014 onwards etc, but if a weaker Lions is one of the downsides of that, then is there any net overall gain for AFL in South East Queensland, bearing in mind that any extra player numbers arising from interest in the new teams, will take years to come on stream.

benchmark00

I just think the AFL need to be careful in fledgling, fragile markets. Any net benefit derived by the Gold Coast will easily be wiped out by the decline with the Lions. Crowd numbers are way down in Brisbane, and in fledgling markets particularly such as this here in Brisbane, the interest in the game waxes and wanes with the fortunes of the teams themselves. With Rischettelli, Brennan etc off to the Suns, it's just moving players around with no net gain to the overall health of the competition. It remains to be seen whether the Gold Coast will be a powerhouse in 2014 onwards etc, but if a weaker Lions is one of the downsides of that, then is there any net overall gain for AFL in South East Queensland, bearing in mind that any extra player numbers arising from interest in the new teams, will take years to come on stream.
Why does a strong GC mean a weak Lions??

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Why does a strong GC mean a weak Lions??
It doesn't necessarily, but the GC had a very tangible effect on them by taking Biscuitelli and Brennan, plus the fact that Brisbane are trying to rebuild in an era of draft concessions. I happen to agree with Howardj and it's something I've said before as well. What it comes down to is that there is unlikely to be any great benefit to Aussie Rules in Queensland if the AFL focuses on the GC while neglecting Brisbane, if you can put it so crudely.

In other news, Chris Scott didn't want Sanderson to go until after the campaign was over. Makes for an interesting comparison with Neeld considering both teams they came from are likely to contest the GF.

Last edited:

benchmark00

It doesn't necessarily, but the GC had a very tangible effect on them by taking Biscuitelli and Brennan, plus the fact that Brisbane are trying to rebuild in an era of draft concessions. I happen to agree with Howardj and it's something I've said before as well. What it comes down to is that there is unlikely to be any great benefit to Aussie Rules in Queensland if the AFL focuses on the GC while neglecting Brisbane, if you can put it so crudely.

In other news, Chris Scott didn't want Sanderson to go until after the campaign was over. Makes for an interesting comparison with Neeld considering both teams they came from are likely to contest the GF.
I understand the Brennan/Rischitelli issue, but Rischa left as a result of them shopping him around during the Fev thing, and him subsequently becoming disenchanted. If he didn't go to GC he would've gone somewhere else.

GC being successful doesn't mean BL have to be poor any more than Collingwood being good means Essendon must be poor.

It will be more difficult because they won't get the draft concessions they would usually get, but it's not like GC are going to be stealing all of their players.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Brisbane played in 4 straight GFs. **** em if the fans can't handle a few seasons near the bottom.

Redbacks

International Captain
Brisbane played in 4 straight GFs. **** em if the fans can't handle a few seasons near the bottom.
:laugh:

The tigers really are the sleeping giants of the AFL. A couple good years and we should see the big 4 really put on some amazing crowds.

Burgey

wasn't this partly messed up over TV deals.
When the two competitions came back togather, part of the deal was X number of clubs had to merge or be culled to leave a competition of (iirc) 14 teams. That's why the Steelers took on the dead wood of St George, the Balmain the same with Wests (though tbf neither was doing that well). Perth and Adelaide were happily left to wither and die. The Northern Eagles was formed around this time too, which was sad, becuase had it not rained for a year as they were buiulding the stadium at Gosford, Norths would have been there alone, and it would have been Manly who died. A great opportunity lost.