• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* A-League Season 2009

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
How many of you is that between? I've never gone near my limit but I don't really download loads of stuff I guess, and I live alone

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Coincidentally I rang Sky this morning and apparently my limit has gone from 40GB to 10GB, will be following that up. 10 is probably enough but that's hardly the point :blowup:

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pissed off about that myself, I like how they put "Canberra is an obvious priority for the 13th licence". Thats all well and good but when?
I think the reason they have said that is because the bid said they would have one crack and if it failed then we wouldn't have another go for a long time, by saying this it keeps us interested.

ripper868

International Coach
Pissed off about that myself, I like how they put "Canberra is an obvious priority for the 13th licence". Thats all well and good but when?
I think the reason they have said that is because the bid said they would have one crack and if it failed then we wouldn't have another go for a long time, by saying this it keeps us interested.
is the Womens League still running around? Canberra have a team in that, stop yer whinging :p

Simon

is the Womens League still running around? Canberra have a team in that, stop yer whinging :p
Haha yeh, but the standard of the W League is pathetic, it's like watching Mens state league 4. Although Canberra did sign Sally Shipard yesterday which will boost our chances for this season.

ripper868

International Coach
Yeah big agree, W-League is crap, no real stunners that i can think of to make it remotely worth watching.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kinda surprised there hasn't been much talk (that i've seen) of another Victorian/Melbourne team. Or would the interest just not be there?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Personally though I not sure how financially viable it will be to have these extra sides. The current sides are struggling as it is to stay a float. Just seems like they are expanding for the sake of it to increase the WC bid chances.

I do sence we might be going down the NBL route of expanding for sake of it. But not being financially viable to begin with to cover costs.

Simon

Personally though I not sure how financially viable it will be to have these extra sides. The current sides are struggling as it is to stay a float. Just seems like they are expanding for the sake of it to increase the WC bid chances.

I do sence we might be going down the NBL route of expanding for sake of it. But not being financially viable to begin with to cover costs.
Yeh the financial aspect is a real worry and that concern is made even greater by bringing in teams in cities where there's already teams. They are competing for the same sponsors and fans I can't see how in the long run second teams in Sydney and Melbourne are more beneficial than Wollongong, Canberra, Hobart etc...

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeh the financial aspect is a real worry and that concern is made even greater by bringing in teams in cities where there's already teams. They are competing for the same sponsors and fans I can't see how in the long run second teams in Sydney and Melbourne are more beneficial than Wollongong, Canberra, Hobart etc...
Western Sydney has more than double the population of all 3 of those areas combined, is one of the highest growth areas in the country as well as one of its strongest footballing areas. Throw in well attended cross city derbies, and a game to watch every weekend for the die hards and you have a package that's currently unbeatable by any regional center. You can't seriously think a team in Hobart and Canberra would benefit the league more than Western Sydney?

Sydney and Melbourne are easily big enough to support 2 teams and good on the FFA for taking the punt with them.

Simon

Surely a lot of people in Western Sydney are already Sydney FC supporters and either wont change or if they do then they are effectively cost the existing side money and fans. Same goes with sponsors, a place like Canberra has a lot of people waiting to be involved and I'm sure its the same case with the other places I've mentioned.

If it came down to purely how many people lived there than fine but I still think its the wrong move. It's not like Sydney FC get huge numbers to their games at the SFS, why wouldn't they have just played say 4-6 home games a year say against NZ, Perth, Brisbane at Penrith or something.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Just the same I think there are a large amount of people like myself (and a few of my friends) who have never been interested in Sydney FC because it doesn't feel like their local club, and they don't want to travel to the SFS to watch games among other things. I think you'll find very little of Sydney's supporter base comes from the west (although that's completely anecdotal tbf). Not to mention cross city derbies breed interest and passion, which will in turn increase the supporter base of both teams. The A-League doesn't have any of that currently. Ultimately though, I think the population factor is a very big issue.

Wish they were planning on playing games at Parra Stadium or CUA though. Homebush is poor choice for so many reasons but it looks like the stadium itself will have a stake in the team.