• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

Craig

World Traveller
Tuttosport (Turin based) is running the story that Juventus President Jean-Claude Blanc is apparently flying to England to finalise Rafa Benitez's deal to take over by May 10, and then to discuss Felipe Melo, Bacary Sagna and Robin van Persie (as in Arsenal buy Melo in return Juventus get either Sagna or van Persie).

Just a quick question for you Corrin, you say a lot of those who got to the Liverpool games don't want Benitez sacked, how did they feel about the sacking of Gérard Houllier, given that Liverpool's record of sacking managers is as rare as hen's teeth?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
IIRC they were still singing "Allez l'Houllier" in the weeks before he was sacked. Which was supposed to be a show of support but was literally just telling him to go.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Spurs predictably doing absolutely nothing at Old Trafford, which is scandalous given how they played in their last two games. Must be something in the Spurs makeup that makes them absolutely spineless when they're not playing at WHL. Good luck to MU - as loathesome as Ferguson is, they're still the one English club that have a clue how to maintain the winning habit.

Uppercut

Nervous times. Gotta love Nani :).

Got to feel Redknapp got it wrong playing Bale at left-back though, turned the player I was most concerned about into a liability.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Sounds like a fine finish by Nani.

Nice of Spurs to show up once they'd gone one down. And a shame that Lennon's reappearance didn't come a month ago. Surely it's too late for him to push for a WC spot now.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Got to feel Redknapp got it wrong playing Bale at left-back though, turned the player I was most concerned about into a liability.
Indicative of Spurs' mentality tbh. MU would probably have put someone in front of Neville for the whole game, but even that would have been good news for the visitors. Instead, the home side could attack with impunity and Spurs were always going to fold sooner or later.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Sounds like a fine finish by Nani.

Nice of Spurs to show up once they'd gone one down. And a shame that Lennon's reappearance didn't come a month ago. Surely it's too late for him to push for a WC spot now.
He almost booked his spot earlier in the season so as long as he does well in their next two games he'll get in a look in for the friendly before the squad date.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Tuttosport (Turin based) is running the story that Juventus President Jean-Claude Blanc is apparently flying to England to finalise Rafa Benitez's deal to take over by May 10, and then to discuss Felipe Melo, Bacary Sagna and Robin van Persie (as in Arsenal buy Melo in return Juventus get either Sagna or van Persie).

Just a quick question for you Corrin, you say a lot of those who got to the Liverpool games don't want Benitez sacked, how did they feel about the sacking of Gérard Houllier, given that Liverpool's record of sacking managers is as rare as hen's teeth?
TBF I didn't know as many red matchgoers back then, but from the conversations with the old man (who is one of said matchgoing reds) they genuinely didn't think he could have really taken them any further but didn't want to see him sacked per se. I don't think they were upset he had gone but they had a certain affinity with him. With Benitez it is different - they don't seem as fond of the person but believe he is the right man for the job.

It's interesting because aside from the Champions League win, his time at Liverpool has followed a similar path to Houllier's. Steady improvement, title challenge falling just short (though their 2nd place finish last season was closer than Houllier's 2nd place, when Man U were always the realistic contenders to Arse's eventual win) followed by deterioriation.

Thanks for the q Craigos, ten minutes of distraction from the real stuff was just what I needed :)

Come on Norwich & Charlton, get your arses into gear :)

Last edited:

vcs

Results like today is precisely the difference between Manchester United and Arsenal, and I say this as an Arsenal follower. You cannot buy that kind of character. Everyone was writing them off a couple of matches ago, they got a lifeline, won two tough games and got to the top of the table again. No "Rooney out" excuses.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well played Norwich

Let's have another one from Charlton and hey, how about another from the Whites

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Draw for us, Gillingham beaten, draw for the Cornish

FA Hearing for Hartlepool Monday

Stockport look to have given up which is good news. We could be relegated next Saturday but I fancy that we won't

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Awful game between Arsenal and City. Neither side looking great. Looks like Shay Given might have picked up a fairly bad injury though. The reception Vieira got when he went off and the reception Adebayor got when he came on was hilarious. Van Persie trying to kill Adebayor with a crazy lunge was a bit iffy mind you.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I quite enjoyed it actually, with the 2nd half being much better though. Adebayor, WAG, didn't give a crap about the stupid Arsenal fans and played awesome at the same time. Made me lol when Song just owned Bellamy, after falling over, with Bellamy's hacks getting progessively worse and ending with Song and Bellamy squaring up. Reckon Song would have killed him in a fight.