• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of Tennis Players - anyone Interested ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Okay - Here is the updated list of Nominations :-

1. Andre Agassi
  2. Andrez Gomez
  3. Andy Roddick
  4. Arthur Ashe
  5. Bill Tilden
  6. Bjorn Borg
  7. Boris Becker
  8. Carlos Moya
  9. Don Budge
  10. Fred Perry
  11. Goran Ivanisevic
  12. Guillermo Villas
  13. Gustavo Kuerten
  14. Ilie Nastase
  15. Ivan Lendl
  16. Jan Kodes
  17. Jim Courier
  18. Jimmy Connors
  19. Johan Kriek
  20. John McEnroe
  21. John Newcombe
  22. Ken Rosewall
  23. Lleyton Hewitt
  24. Manuel Santana
  25. Marat Safin
  26. Marcelo Rios
  27. Mats Wilander
  28. Michael Chang
  29. Michael Stich
  30. Novak Djokovic
  31. Pat Cash
  32. Pat Rafter
  33. Pete Sampras
  34. Rafael Nadal
  35. Rene Lacoste
  36. Rod Laver
  37. Roger Federer
  38. Roy Emerson
  39. Sergei Berguera
  40. Stan Smith
  41. Stefan Edberg
  42. Thomas Johannson
  43. Thomas Muster
  44. Yevgeny Kafelnikove

Please Note, The criteria for the above Nomination has been :-

1. Men's Tennis Player
2. Has won at least one Grand Slam or has been a No. 1 in ATP Ranking in his career.
3. No need to second a nomination if the first 2 criteria are met, however we will need at least 5 people to second a nomination if the above criteria are not met. :)

I am sorry, but I dont believe we can accommodate double players individually. However I am open to include them as a pair. (Great fan of the Aussie pair of Ws)

Last edited:

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nominate
Juan Carlos Ferrero

Gutted that Haas wont be included. Poor form.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Gutted that Haas wont be included. Poor form.
I am sorry, didn't think you were serious about that nomination. We sure can accommodate him, if there is enough support for his nomination in this thread.:)

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I am sorry, didn't think you were serious about that nomination. We sure can accommodate him, if there is enough support for his nomination in this thread.:)
Deadly serious. He's pretty popular so I think it wont be a problem.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Alright then.

Tommy Haas - 2 Votes so far [Jono, Simon], need 3 more to second him.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Nominating:

Jacques Brugnon
Henri Cochet
René Lacoste

3 of the The Four Musketeers.

Jack Crawford
Frank Sedgman
Tony Trabert
Pancho Gonzales
Jaroslav Drobny
Ellsworth Vines
Jack Kramer
Bobby Riggs

Yannick Noah

Here's a wikipedia page that tries to piece together single title records -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennis_male_players_statistics

Don't really know about the late 19th century/early 20th century players.

This is another interesting page -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_number_one_male_tennis_player_rankings

It would appear that Renshaw, Reggie Doherty and Hugh Doherty were the mac daddies.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I've no objection to Haas being in it, but do have my concerns that people might vote for him over better players who don't have his support-base on CW.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I've no objection to Haas being in it, but do have my concerns that people might vote for him over better players who don't have his support-base on CW.
I will purposely do that now, and I'm sure Simon will lead that charge :p

In all seriousness, his video game legacy alone puts him above Grand Slam winners such as Thomas Johannson and Richard Krajicek.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The problem with doing doubles nom's, is you might get McEnroe against McEnroe & Fleming, which might confuse a stupid person i.e. me.

Still I'll nom Hewitt & McMillan and McNamara & McNamee. I do have fond memories of the doubles in bygone years all the best players played in them. Still think some top players should, it really helps the net-play, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.