• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Hatton Pacquiao tonight (tomorrow daytime for me). Should be a good 'un.

Mayweather Jr. has also come-out of retirement and will face the winner (that if he beats Juan Márquez).

Majin

International Debutant
Got no idea who will win this one, from what i've seen of the training and buildup it could go either way, should be a cracking fight either way.

Majin

International Debutant
Wasn't expecting that, lawl. After all the promise shown in the buildup the same old no-head movement scrapping Ricky Hatton turned up against one of the fastest men on the planet and he got dealt with. Not seen a knockout that savage in a fair while. Looked to be in a terrible way, good to see he managed to walk out looking fairly coherent though. Still, Pacman is a badman and him vs Mayweather should be amazing.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jeez. Pretty comprehensive, I'd say. Hatton's unfortunately a shot fighter now. His lack of dietry discipline must've cost him edge; routinely put on and having to lose upwards of 4 stone between fights has got to strain anyone's system.

Love to see Manny dick Mayweather too; the latter's a great fighter but a ****ing prick with it.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bit embarrassing for Hatton really. Must feel atrocious putting in the amount of preparation that goes into getting ready for a fight like this then having it end in minutes with nothing to show for it but a busted face and some much more seriously injured pride.

Burgey

Jeez. Pretty comprehensive, I'd say. Hatton's unfortunately a shot fighter now. His lack of dietry discipline must've cost him edge; routinely put on and having to lose upwards of 4 stone between fights has got to strain anyone's system.

Love to see Manny dick Mayweather too; the latter's a great fighter but a ****ing prick with it.
Actually heard Dan Raphael from ESPN on radio this week (he's very, very good as a boxing expert). He was saying Hatton apparently didn't blow out weight-wise this time around.

It's the oldest story though - styles make fights, and unfortunately for Ricky (a fighter I have the utmost respect for after his defeat of an, albeit not at his best Kostya and the way he conducted himself) he just takes so much punishment to land his own dues. A fine fighter, one guy I really enjoy watching, but up against an opponent as good as his today, well it was a bridge too far for him.

He got tagged early, but he only knows one way. So I wouldn't say it's embarrasing for Hatton, but I bet HE feels embarrassed about it. He shouldn't though - just beaten by a better guy.

Uppercut

To make it clear, the only reason i think it's embarrassing for Hatton is the pre-match bravado that takes place before every boxing match. When you talk yourself up as promoters insist you must then get a severe ass-kicking you've got to be left a bit red-faced.

Burgey

To make it clear, the only reason i think it's embarrassing for Hatton is the pre-match bravado that takes place before every boxing match. When you talk yourself up as promoters insist you must then get a severe ass-kicking you've got to be left a bit red-faced.
(Y) gotchya. Didn't think you were having a chop at him. It would sting him no doubt.

He'd have an enormous amount of pride in his performance too, so he'd be devo (assuming he's woken up yet :ph34r:).

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Actually heard Dan Raphael from ESPN on radio this week (he's very, very good as a boxing expert). He was saying Hatton apparently didn't blow out weight-wise this time around.

It's the oldest story though - styles make fights, and unfortunately for Ricky (a fighter I have the utmost respect for after his defeat of an, albeit not at his best Kostya and the way he conducted himself) he just takes so much punishment to land his own dues. A fine fighter, one guy I really enjoy watching, but up against an opponent as good as his today, well it was a bridge too far for him.

He got tagged early, but he only knows one way. So I wouldn't say it's embarrasing for Hatton, but I bet HE feels embarrassed about it. He shouldn't though - just beaten by a better guy.
Fair dos, but I suspect the damage may already have been done. As one ages it becomes a lot harder to shift blubber (:dry:) and Ricky's pied out so many times before. Guess he's having to that much harder than blokes who walk around maybe a stone and a half above their fighting weight.

Been a good, in fact very good fighter, in his time tho but suspect his time at the very top is all but over now. I guess there are lucrative domestic fights for him still to take (never has fought Junior Witter yet), but for me it'd be a bit of a shame for him to take a step back in class.

Burgey

Fair dos, but I suspect the damage may already have been done. As one ages it becomes a lot harder to shift blubber (:dry:) and Ricky's pied out so many times before. Guess he's having to that much harder than blokes who walk around maybe a stone and a half above their fighting weight.

Been a good, in fact very good fighter, in his time tho but suspect his time at the very top is all but over now. I guess there are lucrative domestic fights for him still to take (never has fought Junior Witter yet), but for me it'd be a bit of a shame for him to take a step back in class.
Tell me about it!!!!

Yeah it'll be interesting to see where he goes from here. The guys who always come to fight often wear out quicker than others.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Unless he takes a different path to 99.9% of all other fighters, he'll seek a chance at redemption and just as likely get pole-axed by a guy he would've brushed aside in his prime (see Jeff Fenech for a similar type fighter who hung around too long)

He may well fight Witter as the latter is about to fight for an alphabet title again and it would be a huge domestic matchup/thankyou to his fans etc

In other words, it's got disaster written all over it

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member

Said before the fight that he won't ever fight Amir Khan (and the likes of Witter), just wants to fight to the 'big' boys. But if he wants to continue boxing, he may have to revise that stance. His not going to get another big fight (payday) again.

Majin

International Debutant
I don't doubt that this had an effect on him over the length of his career but as mentioned he had kept himself in much better shape this time around and was looking in great shape in training, and also the key was he was looking a much better fighter, looked to have improved on what we saw in the Malignaggi fight and was moving well.

I suppose the danger signs should have been apparent when that interview came out with him, after so long of going on about his re-discovered boxing skills and how he was going to show everyone the new "technical side of Ricky Hatton", saying that he thought that despite having improved he thought the one who might have to win this fight would be "the old Ricky Hatton". This, coupled with his drastic underestimation of Pacquiao's power and ability to surive at light-welter lead to him just walking straight at Pacman in a straight line without moving his head at all. He was literally just a walking target and there isn't a boxer alive who can do that against Manny and survive. Even if he'd spent his entire career being the consumate professional WRT his fitness, if he fought Pacquiao 100 times the way he fought last night the result would be the same every time. Can have no excuses, it was a very poor showing and he got exactly what he deserved.

James_W

U19 Vice-Captain
Definately hugely humiliating for Hatton, don't see how one could day otherwise. Hyped up so so much, in preparation for months and totally outclassed in 1 and a half rounds. That'll be the end of him now, can't come back from a defeat like that.

howardj

International Coach
What a champion

To win three world titles after only having taken up the sport in his mid-twenties, and after playing elite level rugby league, is a damn fine achievement.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
What a champion

To win three world titles after only having taken up the sport in his mid-twenties, and after playing elite level rugby league, is a damn fine achievement.
"Title" equating to "possibly about fifth best boxer in your weightclass".

By all means, fair effort. Just feel the need to point this out due to the slightly crazy "world championship" situation.

Note for Smitteh: the chap he defeated was Australian, too

Last edited: