• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
It was part of the deal made for the original fight by Eddie Hearn that he should train as if he was fighting. Though psychologically that would be quite difficult, it's his own fault if he hasn't done it.
You're not understanding what I'm saying.

There's a limit to how much value a top boxer is going to get from running up hills, skipping rope and punching a bag. You need quality sparring. There is bugger all money in boxing, particularly for a guy like Takam. If you have the fight scheduled you can afford to pay guys to come in and spar with you, because you know you're going to get the payday. You'd want to fly in top 50 heavyweights matching Joshua's dimensions; that's not cheap. Someone on Takam's budget is not going to be able to justify flying in and paying top heavyweights thousands of dollars to spar with him for a fight that's only going to happen if there's a pull-out.

Also, I always take a promoter's words with a grain of salt. Eddie Hearn has said that's what happened but we haven't heard confirmation of that from Takam's camp.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Murat Gassiev is a bad, bad man.

Have I said that this cruiserweight tourney is awesome? Cos I'll say it again. Goddamn.

Gassiev vs Dorticos
Usyk vs Briedis

Winner of this tourney is top 5 p4p.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
My God Haye and Bellew are boring. I know it's the only real fight out there for either because the first one did neither any favours, but calling each other names again is a bit sad.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Bull**** stoppage.

Joshua was well ahead, I gave Takam 3 rounds but the fact that he took those rounds after 2 awful cuts and on 12 days notice shows how much of a warrior he is.

The sky commentary team is absolutely awful. Yes, Joshua was well ahead, but Takam was coming on strong and this is heavyweight boxing, he had 2 and a half rounds to land the big punch. It probably wouldn't have happened but it might have.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pretty dreadful card really

Joshua didnt look great, the Whyte fight was awful and Katie Taylor defends with her face

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I still thought Joshua looked very good and it was a great fight apart from the stoppage. Takam is no joke and Joshua was winning those early rounds quite decisively. It does give pause about what Takam could've done with a full training camp and if he hadn't got those two awful cuts. Still, Joshua's punches caused those cuts so it's not all that unlucky.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty dreadful card really

Joshua didnt look great, the Whyte fight was awful and Katie Taylor defends with her face
Hearn keeps giving these opponents like a week's notice, it'd ridiculous. Helenius was a late call-in as well, and he was clearly gased after what, 2 rounds? It's really cynical unsportsmanlike to not give these guys the proper time to prepare, just by waving a few $$$ in front of their nose he gets away with it.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
My God Haye and Bellew are boring. I know it's the only real fight out there for either because the first one did neither any favours, but calling each other names again is a bit sad.
Especially after they practically had s*x with each other after the first match ended. I have no interest in that fight.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Been a fan of this guy since he beat Bowyn Morgan last year. Love his attitude and this perfectly describes the difference between amateur and pro boxing.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah. Neither Parker nor Joshua's teams want the Wilder fight.
Big money is Joshua

Wilder can't draw flies to **** and is high risk

Next fights should be Joshua v Parker and Wilder v Whyte (in UK)

Winners facing off in a massive fight

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Big money is Joshua

Wilder can't draw flies to **** and is high risk

Next fights should be Joshua v Parker and Wilder v Whyte (in UK)

Winners facing off in a massive fight
I can kinda understand Wilder's reluctance to face Whyte, and it's not because he's scared of him - it's because he'll destroy him in a pointless fight; the dude is barely a top 20 heavyweight. I suppose it raises his profile in the UK but still.

I think Parker beats Joshua but may lose to Wilder.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
I can kinda understand Wilder's reluctance to face Whyte, and it's not because he's scared of him - it's because he'll destroy him in a pointless fight; the dude is barely a top 20 heavyweight. I suppose it raises his profile in the UK but still.

I think Parker beats Joshua but may lose to Wilder.
Whyte would be a better opponent than someone like Molina or the Stiverne rematch, so the whole quality argument doesn't really apply to Mr Wilder.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Whyte would be a better opponent than someone like Molina or the Stiverne rematch, so the whole quality argument doesn't really apply to Mr Wilder.
I agree but I still don't see it as a competitive fight.

As a fan I want to see competitive fights and ideally that means the 3 champs fighting each other, but if not that then at least someone in the top 10 and Whyte for me is not a top 10 heavyweight.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Usyk vs Briedis has been made - January 27
Gassiev vs Dorticos has been made - Feb 3.

These are amazing fights. Really really good. Dorticos Gassiev in particular is almost certainly going to end in a KO, and Usyk Briedis should be an extremely high-volume fight that may go the distance.

I think the winner of this tourney should be top 3 p4p.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
yeah I feel it's asking too much of Rigo going up two divisions but still, good fight.

I want Lomachenko to fight Mikey Garcia next. I think Mikey wins that.