• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

Majin

International Debutant
Yeah Mayweather as expected proved to be too good for Hatton, and Hatton wasn't sticking to his game plan supposedly. Not sure how much of a difference it would of made. Yes, the Ref was unbelievably ****, and a total liar as well (dunno how many of you saw the card, but in the warm ups before the match it showed him in both rooms talking to the fighters, Hatton's camp specifically asked him if he was going to be accusing Hatton of being dirty and letting him get on the inside to fight and he clearly stated something to the effect of "As far as intentional fouls go, I'll deduct a point without warning, but other than that I'm just going to sit back and let the fighters decide how to fight, I'm not going to be stepping in", what a pile of ****. In the first three rounds he was in there to break them apart before they'd gotten within 6 inches of each other.) but at the end of the day, it was just Mayweathers ability that got the best of him, no excuses.

chalky

International Debutant
hate to say i told you so.

anyone who claims hatton is still the UK's best boxer ahead of super joe will recieve a visit from the boys.
On talent yes but not achievement.

Tszu + Castilio >>>> Lacy + Kessler

Also IBF, WBC, WBA >>>> WBO

The fact is Joe wasted his best years fighting bums. His peak was about 10 years ago before his hands got shagged. He should be Britain's greatest post war boxer, he had hand speed, foot speed, power in both hands, a good chin, technically good & could fight equally well on the front foot or back foot. Howver he was too scared to test him self and stayed in his comfort zone for too long. I think he would have given Roy Jones a fight but alas we will never know.

At least Hatton did test himself against the best even though he came up short.

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
On talent yes but not achievement.

Tszu + Castilio >>>> Lacy + Kessler

Also IBF, WBC, WBA >>>> WBO

The fact is Joe wasted his best years fighting bums. His peak was about 10 years ago before his hands got shagged. He should be Britain's greatest post war boxer, he had hand speed, foot speed, power in both hands, a good chin, technically good & could fight equally well on the front foot or back foot. Howver he was too scared to test him self and stayed in his comfort zone for too long. I think he would have given Roy Jones a fight but alas we will never know.

At least Hatton did test himself against the best even though he came up short.
prime kessler is better than anyone hatton has ever beaten. kostya was past his prime and had fought 3 rounds in just under 2 years, and hatton used some of the most disgusting tactics i have ever seen to win. no way he'd of gotten away with some of that if it was held outside england. castillo was shot to pieces.

RJJ wanted nothing of calzaghe either, it works two ways i'm afraid. calzaghe has never interested the yanks best because he was always up until recently a high risk low reward type fighter, you aren't gonna make much fighting him and could get your arse kicked.

oh and calzaghe has unified the entire division and become the first ever undisputed SMW champion. mix in a resume with kessler, lacy, eubank, reid, mitchell and brewer and you've got a P4P boxer on a completely different level to hatton.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Very pro fight from Mayweather. All the little tricks came into play.

Worked the ref in the lead up with talk of Hatton being dirty, he continuously used the elbow and forearm, hit on the blind side of the ref when breaking from clinches and spent a long time ducking below the waist.

The point deducion forced Hatton to have to throw caution to the wind. The knockout was a thing of beauty though. Great footwork to slip away and then counter with a great puch whilst on the move.

Mayweather proved far more adept at spoiling inside than I thought he would. No doubt he fought a marginally dirty fight with the things I mention above but he was looking better the longer the fight went on.

Ref was terrible and missed a lot that Mayweather did and the point deduction changed the nature of the fight. Was quite a conclusive finish though, but would have loved to have seen the fight kept cleaner and they guys allowed to fight.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just to say fair play to Calzaghe for landing the BBC's Sports Personality of the year this evening. :thumbsup:

Thought Hamilton was nailed-on (oh how we Brits love a gallant loser), but v happy to be proved wrong. :)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Just to say fair play to Calzaghe for landing the BBC's Sports Personality of the year this evening. :thumbsup:

Thought Hamilton was nailed-on (oh how we Brits love a gallant loser), but v happy to be proved wrong. :)
Congrats. Should have won it last year against weker comp but fair play to him. Has worked hard for a long time to get the recognition he deserves.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Very pro fight from Mayweather. All the little tricks came into play.

Worked the ref in the lead up with talk of Hatton being dirty, he continuously used the elbow and forearm, hit on the blind side of the ref when breaking from clinches and spent a long time ducking below the waist.

The point deducion forced Hatton to have to throw caution to the wind. The knockout was a thing of beauty though. Great footwork to slip away and then counter with a great puch whilst on the move.

Mayweather proved far more adept at spoiling inside than I thought he would. No doubt he fought a marginally dirty fight with the things I mention above but he was looking better the longer the fight went on.

Ref was terrible and missed a lot that Mayweather did and the point deduction changed the nature of the fight. Was quite a conclusive finish though, but would have loved to have seen the fight kept cleaner and they guys allowed to fight.
Agree with everything you say except the highlighted section.

I'd change that to "allow both similar latitude" or words to that effect.

Hatton is reputedly one of the world's dirtiest fighters but was given no leeway.

PBF is reputedly the world's best boxer but was very, very smart in his use of the forearm, elbow, shoulders and head to nullify any agression from Ricky and was either not seen or simply allowed to get away with it.

A clean fight would not have benefitted Ricky as then it comes down to boxing skills.

Allowing him to use roughouse tactics (as per Tszyu - a disgrace IMO) evens it up

social

prime kessler is better than anyone hatton has ever beaten. kostya was past his prime and had fought 3 rounds in just under 2 years, and hatton used some of the most disgusting tactics i have ever seen to win. no way he'd of gotten away with some of that if it was held outside england. castillo was shot to pieces.

RJJ wanted nothing of calzaghe either, it works two ways i'm afraid. calzaghe has never interested the yanks best because he was always up until recently a high risk low reward type fighter, you aren't gonna make much fighting him and could get your arse kicked.

oh and calzaghe has unified the entire division and become the first ever undisputed SMW champion. mix in a resume with kessler, lacy, eubank, reid, mitchell and brewer and you've got a P4P boxer on a completely different level to hatton.
Calzaghe's resume is hardly flash - Kessler's name is the best on it by far and his recorded is padded to the eyeballs as well.

Lacy - dont get me started, anyone with any knowledge of boxing knew that he was a slow, podding, technically deficient fighter with little defence. Unfortunately the Yanks, having a completely miopic view of the world, thought Joe was worse.

Facts are:

1. Joe has unified SMW title;

2. Until recently, it was regarded as by far the weakest division in boxing

3. He's been incredibly well managed by Warren (who knows a gravy train better than anyone)

4. He's could've chased the Yanks to their back-garden where they would've fought him - RJJ, who was not in the same division as Joe and would've been a complete mis-match at the time anyway, was guaranteed $5 million per fight for years NO MATTER WHO SHOWED UP and therefore would've happily smacked him back to Cardiff

Ricky, on the other hand, unified the strongest division in boxing by beating the long-standing champion.

That one fact alone, irrespective of whether Tszyu was past his best, is a greater achievement than Joe has put together

Ricky has just fought the world's best fighter in that fighter's home-town at that fighter's weight. He lost but at least he gave it a shot and that is why JC is not universally respected. The latter has been protected at every turn and has rarely ventured outside his comfort zone

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
Calzaghe's resume is hardly flash - Kessler's name is the best on it by far and his recorded is padded to the eyeballs as well.

Lacy - dont get me started, anyone with any knowledge of boxing knew that he was a slow, podding, technically deficient fighter with little defence. Unfortunately the Yanks, having a completely miopic view of the world, thought Joe was worse.

Facts are:

1. Joe has unified SMW title;

2. Until recently, it was regarded as by far the weakest division in boxing

3. He's been incredibly well managed by Warren (who knows a gravy train better than anyone)

4. He's could've chased the Yanks to their back-garden where they would've fought him - RJJ, who was not in the same division as Joe and would've been a complete mis-match at the time anyway, was guaranteed $5 million per fight for years NO MATTER WHO SHOWED UP and therefore would've happily smacked him back to Cardiff

Ricky, on the other hand, unified the strongest division in boxing by beating the long-standing champion.

That one fact alone, irrespective of whether Tszyu was past his best, is a greater achievement than Joe has put together

Ricky has just fought the world's best fighter in that fighter's home-town at that fighter's weight. He lost but at least he gave it a shot and that is why JC is not universally respected. The latter has been protected at every turn and has rarely ventured outside his comfort zone

the SMW division is considered weak due to the lack of american names in it, it is no worse than the MW division, HW, JWW, and LMW.

kessler is as technically gifted a boxer between 160 and 175 and the only other guy capable of besting him is chad dawson. you can spit on his win over lacy all you want, but lacy was favoured by about 90% of fans and the media to KO cal, joe absolutely ruined him.

RJJ would have bested joe but no one destroys or completely outscores him, and with RJJ's less than stellar chin anything is possible. a 116-112 outcome in favour of jones is most likely.

LOL @ the unifying the strongest division, he beat the linear title, well mugged him with the biggest hometown ref i've seen for some time then won another title v carlos maussa. he didn't face cotto at 140, or floyd, he hardly faced the cream of the crop down there.

prime kessler>>>>post prime zoo with a god awful ref.

oh, and joe is far more respected stateside than hatton, i post on ESB boxing the biggest boxing forum on the net and the yanks on there have massive respect for joe and dwindling respect for ricky.

hatton's cashed in with the floyd fight as he know's he's on the way down, witter would batter hatton, i just hope the fight can be made now. hatton has ducked him for years.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
hatton's cashed in with the floyd fight as he know's he's on the way down, witter would batter hatton, i just hope the fight can be made now. hatton has ducked him for years.
That has to be his next fight or at least the one after the one where he slaps some nobody around to rebuild confidence.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think Hatton/Witter is probably the second most lucrative option out there for Ricky now. Obviously the big pay day would be de la Hoya, but the weight difference means it wouldn't be a smart option for Hatton. Hatton has showed he can't really cut it with the best at welter & de la Hoya's recently been campaigning as a light-middleweight and he's been up to full middle too.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hopkins Calzaghe coming up. SHould be good.

Heard Johnny Lewis on the radio this morning - he reckons Calzaghe easily. Said Hopkins very good, but Joe and Mayweather the only 2 of the past 15 years who you could call genuine hall of famers. Then he came out with a funny quote "Yeah, Hopkins is a good fighter, don't get me wrong, but throw Marvin Hagler in with him, and I reckon he'd be home early that night". Gold.

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
Hopkins Calzaghe coming up. SHould be good.

Heard Johnny Lewis on the radio this morning - he reckons Calzaghe easily. Said Hopkins very good, but Joe and Mayweather the only 2 of the past 15 years who you could call genuine hall of famers. Then he came out with a funny quote "Yeah, Hopkins is a good fighter, don't get me wrong, but throw Marvin Hagler in with him, and I reckon he'd be home early that night". Gold.
absolute garbage from lewis tbh, no way in hell does hagler stop hopkins.

social

Calzaghe won on points but I agree with Hopkins, he was made to look like an amateur

Calzaghe might have landed more punches but he landed absolutely nothing of any significance and the judges seemed to hand him the title based on little slaps to the abdomen when they were in a clinch

I think the conditions of the faces at the end told the story - Calzage had welts and cuts whilst 43 year old Hopkins looked like he'd stepped out of a shower.

chalky

International Debutant
Yeah Hopkins in a different league technically still didn't do enough work to win the fight though.

A lot of people comment on how old Hopkins is but they shouldn't forget Calzaghe is 36 & about 8 years past his prime.

I still don't get this BS that Calzaghe is the greatest Super Middle Weight of all time I would take a prime Roy Jones, James Toney & even Chris Eubank over him.

I give Calzaghe credit for continuing to be successful with the state of his ****ed hands hence why only cuffs with the inside of the glove. I think he may be there for the taking in the next year or so though might be time for Carl Froch to get himself in the mix

BoyBrumby

Englishman
BBC reckons it was very close. Haven't seen the fight because Sultana carried it over here & I'm not a subscriber. I guess Hopkins has won his share of close ones (the Winky Wright fight could easily have gone either way) so was due to lose one.

headhunter

International Vice-Captain
BBC reckons it was very close. Haven't seen the fight because Sultana carried it over here & I'm not a subscriber. I guess Hopkins has won his share of close ones (the Winky Wright fight could easily have gone either way) so was due to lose one.
:laugh: