• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

dermo

International Vice-Captain
Golovkin is the most hyped fighter in the world today but has literally faced no-one so will be interesting to see how this pans out

In other news, Andre Ward is back in full training but I seriously doubt whether the Hearns will let Froch anywhere near him as the former beats him 99/100 and he will have to settle for a small purse
yeah golovkin has insane power but geale isn't going to stand in front of him and let him unleash like most of the bums he's been up against

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Credit to Geale for taking the fight as no one else at middleweight wants Golovkin but it’s a shame Gennady’s best years are being wasted. The mooted Chavez Jr. fight at 168 was my most anticipated fight of 2014.
Was some knockout though. Imagine if Golovkin didn’t get hit flush beforehand? Geale would have done a Curtis Stevens.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Frank Maloney to undergo gender reassignment

Lennox Lewis's former promoter reveals he's to live as a woman called "Kellie". From the BBC.

Well, bloody hell. :-O

Very brave announcement. If it was April 1st I'd suspect a wind up.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Thought it was a wind up when browsing the boxing forums this morning. Frank was a fairly overt homophobe a few years ago as well.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Congrats to Carl Frampton on becoming Britain's newest world champion.

Says a lot about the machinations of boxing that he beat a chap who he'd already stopped to win the European crown, but who then got a world title shot before he did.

Sets up a potentially intriguing domestic unification clash with Scott Quigg who holds (one of) the WBA's versions of the super-bantam title.

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
The Olympic-style Boxing is far superior to the current "pro-Boxing" (WBA, WBC, IBF etc) because it is safer and fairer.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Why on Earth are Froch and Groves still appearing on national radio (Talksport yesterday) having digs at each other. It's now just boring.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Man, Tony Bellew is a massive arsehole, isn't he? On a one man mission to make lie of the cheerful Scouser stereotype.

Takes a lot to make me want a Welshman to beat an English fighter, but really hope Cleverley dicks him again on the 22nd.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Kovalev outpoints Hopkins

From the BBC.

Old Father Time succumbs to a man eighteen years his junior.

Hopkins still has the satisfaction of being he first fighter to take the heavy-handed Russian the full distance.

Hard to see what more a 49 year old (18 months Mike Tyson's senior) stands to gain by boxing on into his sixth decade, but knowing Hopkins he probably will anyway.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
From the BBC.

Old Father Time succumbs to a man eighteen years his junior.

Hopkins still has the satisfaction of being he first fighter to take the heavy-handed Russian the full distance.

Hard to see what more a 49 year old (18 months Mike Tyson's senior) stands to gain by boxing on into his sixth decade, but knowing Hopkins he probably will anyway.
Hopkins is supposedly a very smart guy and has only added to his wealth over the years but also proud/egomaniac and he might think that isn't the way to go out

I reckon he'd be mad to go on

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Hopkins is supposedly a very smart guy and has only added to his wealth over the years but also proud/egomaniac and he might think that isn't the way to go out

I reckon he'd be mad to go on
A tough fight to watch. Kovalev just kept his range and picked his shots. He knew he was bigger, quicker and stronger and that he could easily win if he didnt do anything silly. He just bullied Hopkins who did a great job of slipping and boxing defensively. Hopkins couldnt win that fight unless Kovalev ran on to a punch and he, smartly, avoided doing so. Hard to watch an old man dismantled in that way as it wasnt remotely competitive.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I think Hopkins just run into a better (and bigger) fighter. Hopkins is still one of the top LHWs, he showed that earlier in the year when he schooled Shumenov to win the WBA and IBF titles.
Hope we get Kovalev Stevenson next year.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Man, Tony Bellew is a massive arsehole, isn't he? On a one man mission to make lie of the cheerful Scouser stereotype.

Takes a lot to make me want a Welshman to beat an English fighter, but really hope Cleverley dicks him again on the 22nd.
Just selling the fight but he did come across as a bit of tit last year during the Stevenson buildup.
Though how this fight is PPV is beyond me. Both guys were sparked out last year, Bellew by a Super Middleweight and neither of them would last a few rounds with the current Cruiserweight champions.