Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: Is relegation a good thing in sport?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

18 85.71%
  • No

3 14.29%
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: Relegation: good thing or bad thing?

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Maybe I just read you saying it so many times I assumed it was multiple people.
    Phil Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Yup, all 09-10 data. So it's all Championship revenue.
    Aha, that makes much more sense then.
    ​63*

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Coincidentally to this discussion we are having here, there has been an issue come up in the AFL today which is kind of relevant to this debate.

Collingwood are pretty much the richest AFL club. Their player salary spending is capped, however the spending of one's football departments (i.e. coaches, training facilities etc.) is not capped. Collingwood have traditionally spend a lot on their football department (much more than say North Melbourne have, which is Benchy's team and probably the poorest club in the AFL).

One of Collingwood's big expenditure projects has been flying their entire team to Arizona pre-season for training, as the high altitude improves player's stamina and endurance. They have a few injured players in their ranks and plan on sending these players to Arizona during the season to recover. We're talking go there for 5-6 days whilst they have a bye in the fixture. There are many clubs which would simply not be able to consider this as an option, and others who could do it but would have to sacrifice in another important area of their football department.

Tthis news only came out today but the rumour is the AFL is uncomfortable with this. For a while there has been talk of putting a cap on football department spending. I would not be surprised if this is the final straw for the AFL Commission.

Anyway food for thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Not sure how I feel about capping football department spending, but it's definitely one area where the richer clubs have a perceived advantage. Having said that NM have a fine young coach as it stands, and I don't know too many coaches in the league I'd swap him for at this stage. Think it is an area which clubs will try and exploit in the future though.
    Bit of a bump, in the end it turns out the AFL are not going to cap football department spending... but the AFL is doing its very best (with the clubs helping) to make sure the competition ensures that every fan has a genuine belief that the club they support has the ability to win a premiership in their lifetime.

Direct comments about ensuring the AFL does not become the EPL being made by captains of football clubs, and insinuated by the CEO and Chairman.

Saint wary of EPL-like competition
    Last edited by Jono; 24-03-2013 at 08:18 AM.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    I note that AD mentioned last night that they may look to cap the number of people allowed in the football department. Might be an avenue worth exploring. Would be hard to police though.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Yeah was happy that the discussion came up regarding that. That being said, that doesn't prevent some teams being able to fly players to Arizona mid-season whilst others can't etc.

Its a tricky issue isn't it. Personally I am not 100% in favour of capping football department spending or numbers etc. as I think the innovation argument is strong.

At the same time, I cannot provide a solid alternative to ensure the game stays even. Particulalry if the fixture is always going to favour Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond etc. and screw over Bulldogs, Melbourne, North, Port etc.
    Last edited by Jono; 25-03-2013 at 08:25 PM.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    seems odd noted Big 4 member Richmond are included with the have nots
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

I swear I did not mean to, meant to include Richmond in the first bit and Dogs in the last.

Edited now.

Yeah was happy that the discussion came up regarding that. That being said, that doesn't prevent some teams being able to fly players to Arizona mid-season whilst others can't etc.

Its a tricky issue isn't it. Personally I am not 100% in favour of capping football department spending or numbers etc. as I think the innovation argument is strong.

At the same time, I cannot provide a solid alternative to ensure the game stays even. Particulalry if the fixture is always going to favour Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond etc. and screw over Bulldogs, Melbourne, North, Port etc.
    Is the goal really to keep our competitions 100% even though? I'm a big supporter of a salary cap for Australian sports but having discrepancies in the sizes of clubs allows fans to build up rivalries, context and narrative that make following sport interesting. I'm not sold on the benefit of things like Arizona boot camps either and I'm not sure how (past a certain point) backroom football spending does all that much to obtain the best players and keep them playing at their peak. I think the diversity of grand finalists both codes have seen in the last decade backs that up.

For me there's much bigger question marks around the ability of bigger clubs to use their market share and corporate connections to obtain lucrative 3rd party deals. It's obviously a tough thing to police but that extra 200k per year is going to do far more to entice a star player than better facilities and an extra 30 administrative staff.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZwgu8_b0Vw

RIP Craig

What's with the logic in making clubs pay 100% of the salary cap? Surely there has to be stages in a club's cycle where they can't be paying it.

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread Information