Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: Is relegation a good thing in sport?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

18 85.71%
  • No

3 14.29%
Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Relegation: good thing or bad thing?

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Haha but you haven't actually addressed my point... being promoted up and being **** in a higher competition isn't improving. Improving would be getting promoted and challenging for a trophy. There are obvious barriers to that, so they can't improve.

And competition?! Having only 3-4 teams with a realistic chance of winning the competition is not competition mate.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

They weren't **** in a higher competition though. They were in League 1 and won that 2009/10, the very next season they finished 2nd in the Championship. If that's not being competitive in a higher competition I don't know what is.

Don't forget the Premiership isn't the only trophy in English Football. If you look elsewhere teams like Stoke City, Portsmouth, Everton, Cardiff City, West Ham United, Millwall, Southampton, Aston Villa, Birmingham City, Spuds, Wigan Athletic, Bolton Wanderers, Middlesborough, Blackburn Rovers, Leicester City and Tranmere Rovers have all made/won domestic cup finals.

Mate I don't know if you're being deliberately obtuse, but we're talking about the EPL here, not some bush soccer league. We're talking top flight. It's not like I'm talking about the Essendon District Football League or the VFL.

Bit different though as the AFL isn't divided by promotion/relegation

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    How is the AFL any more equal? Surely there's inequalities between the best and worst teams in any given season?
    True, but in contrast to the EPL, cycles/premiership windows are far shorter in the AFL.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Why is equality the be all and end all? I don't get it.
    There's nothing to stop a team becoming better in the Premiership, nothing.

I'd much prefer a completely unequal system than one which forces artificial equality through the likes of drafts and things. They're the biggest crock of **** ever.
    That's not true, really. Money stops them. They can get better in the sense they can go from 10th to 7th, but so what, really?

I like the English PL system btw, I'm not saying it should change. Realistically it can't. But from a competitive POV it is lol-worthy to hear To and Froms take the pizz out of the Scottish League as a two horse race when realistically the English one is no more than a 3-5 horse race itself.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    This debate is not about (or at least no longer about) whether a draft or salary cap should be used in England or any European leagues. We understand it is not possible.

Its actually about the merits of a draft and salary cap when they are possible. Some have suggested in this thread that its undesirable, or worse, unfair... which is crazy afaic. If English football was the only game in town, and hence the best players would play come what may, are some people here saying they wouldn't prefer a salary cap to ensure that the amount of guernseys sold in Asia, because all they see is 4 teams all the time, doesn't determine success?

In the AFL right now St Kilda is the perfect example. They are not a rich club by any means, but they have had around 6-7 years of being constantly one of the best 4 clubs (barring one year where they brought in a new coach) and have been in Grand Finals or prelim/semi finals throughout. They had their window, and now they will have to rebuild, as the draft system has ensured that other clubs, provided they recruit correctly and run properly, have their chance. Carlton, Essendon and other teams who are financial powerhouses were struggling in the last half-decade and constantly near the bottom, but are coming good now.

It is a testament to the fact that despite your team being the worst in the league for 2-3 seasons, you know you won't always be there.
    Swans a better example, ****. Except they rebuild and are still there or thereabouts the eight.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Why is equality the be all and end all? I don't get it.
    There's nothing to stop a team becoming better in the Premiership, nothing.

I'd much prefer a completely unequal system than one which forces artificial equality through the likes of drafts and things. They're the biggest crock of **** ever.
    lol. The only way clubs can become gun in the EPL is if some Russian billionaire buys them.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Swans a better example, ****. Except they rebuild and are still there or thereabouts the eight.
    Lol @ Sydney rebuilding. Sydney don't rebuild, they just accept mediocrity and 'being around the eight' because the market in which they operate is so fickle that they can't afford not to make finals. If they continue with the same mentality (which they wont have to because the Sydney market will become more and more AFL centric) they will never seriously challenge for a premiership.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Lol @ Sydney rebuilding. Sydney don't rebuild, they just accept mediocrity and 'being around the eight' because the market in which they operate is so fickle that they can't afford not to make finals. If they continue with the same mentality (which they wont have to because the Sydney market will become more and more AFL centric) they will never seriously challenge for a premiership.
    Remind me, when was the last time that North Melbourne won a premiership?

And the last time Sydney did?

Kthxbai.

Buffoon

Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post

Kthxbai.
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post

Kthxbai.
    1999 and then before that 1996 against the same quasi team you're claiming to support.

So tell me how many premierships the Sydney Swans have won? And now tell me the last time they won one without needing salary cap concessions in the lead up?

Trust me, you can not win this battle. You support a franchise, not a club.

1999 and then before that 1996 against the same quasi team you're claiming to support.

So tell me how many premierships the Sydney Swans have won? And now tell me the last time they won one without needing salary cap concessions in the lead up?

Trust me, you can not win this battle. You support a franchise, not a club.
    Don't tell people what they do and don't support. It's entirely subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Don't tell people what they do and don't support. It's entirely subjective.
    No, this is not subjective. Sydney Swans ARE a franchise, as are GC and GWS will be. It is not a real club and in my eyes never ever will be. They are contrived, soulless and empty. Their attempt to tack onto the South Melboune bloods line absolutely sickens me.

Your side lacks heart so much they ****ed off the "North Melbourne" name for a few years.

Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread Information