• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English sport in meltdown

cpr

International Coach
Foster is pretty much a banker for utd no 1 in the future, if you believe Fergie. We have a history of stuffing up good keepers though...... Certainly the Foster i've seen at united has impressed me to a point (still think we need a better keeper coach, as some simple errors in his play need ironing out fast, notably in his footwork that makes it difficult for him to jump/dive as effectively as possible). Harts unlucky that moneybags City just decided to buy the best keeper in the Prem, and Green must've had a **** on the doorstep of Soho Square the lack of chances he gets.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
On a vaguely related note - nationality of players who appeared in the CL semi-finals this week

France 8
England 7
Catalonia 4
Brazil 3
Ivory Coast 3
Portugal 2
Serbia 2
Spain 2 (six including Catalonia)
Argentina 2
Cameroon 2
Netherlands 1
Togo 1
Nigeria 1
Germany 1
Czech Republic 1
Ghana 1
Mexico 1
Ireland 1
Scotland 1

The keepers were Catalonian, Dutch and f'ing old, Czech, and genuine Spanish.

Suffice to say that Raymond Domenech is insanely lucky to still have a job.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On a vaguely related note - nationality of players who appeared in the CL semi-finals this week

France 8
England 7
Catalonia 4
Brazil 3
Ivory Coast 3
Portugal 2
Serbia 2
Spain 2 (six including Catalonia)
Argentina 2
Cameroon 2
Netherlands 1
Togo 1
Nigeria 1
Germany 1
Czech Republic 1
Ghana 1
Mexico 1
Ireland 1
Scotland 1

The keepers were Catalonian, Dutch and f'ing old, Czech, and genuine Spanish.

Suffice to say that Raymond Domenech is insanely lucky to still have a job.
For ****s and giggles I'm going to try to name them.

France
Thuram
Sagna
Nasri
Diaby
Anelka
Silvestre
Abidal
Evra

England
Ferdinand
Carrick
Lampard
Terry
Gibbs
Rooney
Cole

Spanish
Valdes
Xavi
Almunia
Fabregas
Iniesta
Pique

Brazil
Anderson
Alex
Alves

Ivory Coast
Kolo Toure
Yaya Toure
Drogba

Portugal
Bosingwa
Ronaldo

Serbia
Vidic
Bojan

Argentina
Messi
Tevez

Cameroon
Song
Eto'o

Netherlands
Van Der Sar

Togo
Adebayor

Nigeria

Germany
Ballack

Czech Republic
Cech

Ghana
Essien

Mexico
Marquez

Ireland
O'Shea

Scotland
Fletcher

Wales
Giggs

Bulgaria
Berbatov

I'm sure I've missed some really obvious ones. I only got Ronaldo at the very end.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
For ****s and giggles I'm going to try to name them.

France
Thuram
Sagna
Nasri
Diaby
Anelka
Silvestre
Abidal
Evra

England
Ferdinand
Carrick
Lampard
Terry
Gibbs
Rooney
Cole

Spanish
Valdes
Xavi
Almunia
Fabregas
Iniesta
Pique

Brazil
Anderson
Alex
Alves

Ivory Coast
Kolo Toure
Yaya Toure
Drogba

Portugal
Bosingwa
Ronaldo

Serbia
Vidic
Bojan

Argentina
Messi
Tevez

Cameroon
Song
Eto'o

Netherlands
Van Der Sar

Togo
Adebayor

Nigeria

Germany
Ballack

Czech Republic
Cech

Ghana
Essien

Mexico
Marquez

Ireland
O'Shea

Scotland
Fletcher

Wales
Giggs

Bulgaria
Berbatov

I'm sure I've missed some really obvious ones. I only got Ronaldo at the very end.
Retired and the obvious one, Thierry Henry.

Nigerian, Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Bojan is Spanish (father Serb), second Serb is Chelsea's Ivanović.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Foster is pretty much a banker for utd no 1 in the future, if you believe Fergie. We have a history of stuffing up good keepers though...... Certainly the Foster i've seen at united has impressed me to a point (still think we need a better keeper coach, as some simple errors in his play need ironing out fast, notably in his footwork that makes it difficult for him to jump/dive as effectively as possible). Harts unlucky that moneybags City just decided to buy the best keeper in the Prem, and Green must've had a **** on the doorstep of Soho Square the lack of chances he gets.
Really hope Foster does keep become the # 1 though.

On Almunia again though. If he does play as i said before i believe the potential in Foster, Hart & Lewis is pretty solid for the future providing they get first team football.

So i disagree with the notion that by picking Almunia is discourages the young keepers, is an indictment of poor keeping stocks or national disgrace.

Since we got a foreign coach (one of the best in the buisness) & actually a few players in history have switched nationalities. Currently Portugal have Deco, Spain have Senna TWO BIG players (plus i believe Spain wanted to make Messi play for them as well), plus i believe the great Di Stephano did the same.

So if Almunia qualifies & proves to be in the inform man next season. He should be picked, no national outcry will ne necessary.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Really hope Foster does keep become the # 1 though.

On Almunia again though. If he does play as i said before i believe the potential in Foster, Hart & Lewis is pretty solid for the future providing they get first team football.

So i disagree with the notion that by picking Almunia is discourages the young keepers, is an indictment of poor keeping stocks or national disgrace.

Since we got a foreign coach (one of the best in the buisness) & actually a few players in history have switched nationalities. Currently Portugal have Deco, Spain have Senna TWO BIG players (plus i believe Spain wanted to make Messi play for them as well), plus i believe the great Di Stephano did the same.

So if Almunia qualifies & proves to be in the inform man next season. He should be picked, no national outcry will ne necessary.

I'm not worried about nationality, I am a bit w0rried that Almunia is a bit ****, though:unsure:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, I'd have loved it if Cudicini had been willing to take up his right to play for England

BoyBrumby

Englishman
TBF Almunia has been in very good nick of late. Almost won me round and was very much an agnostic regarding his abilities, even earlier this season. Called him the Spanish goalkeeping equivalent of a panic attack, IIRC. :ph34r:

Would take him above any English-qualified keeper just now.

cpr

International Coach

Meh, just because other countries do it, doesnt mean we should too. Players like Hargreaves, Barnes etc had historical ties to the UK, certainly didnt choose England because they couldnt get into their own national team. Had decided early on they wanted to represent England, and did what they could to do it, not a case of 'Oh, I cant get into my national team, but look here i've got a UK passport'

One of the things that makes me Apathetic about the England Cricket team is the fact 4 years in the UK makes you 'English'

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Meh, just because other countries do it, doesnt mean we should too. Players like Hargreaves, Barnes etc had historical ties to the UK, certainly didnt choose England because they couldnt get into their own national team. Had decided early on they wanted to represent England, and did what they could to do it, not a case of 'Oh, I cant get into my national team, but look here i've got a UK passport'

One of the things that makes me Apathetic about the England Cricket team is the fact 4 years in the UK makes you 'English'
TBF guys like KP, Ambrose & Trott could've played for England straight away if they were footballers, based on their parent/grandparentage, so it's arguably harder to qualify for our cricket team.

Uppercut

TBF guys like KP, Ambrose & Trott could've played for England straight away if they were footballers, based on their parent/grandparentage, so it's arguably harder to qualify for our cricket team.
KP was a definite case of "England as a Plan B" though. If he hadn't felt mistreated in SA he'd be playing for them. Trott barely plays for England, and I've never heard anyone complain about apathy as a result of Ambrose doing so.

Then on top of that you have Morgans and Joyces who just fancy a better standard of cricket, which is accepted in cricket in exactly the way that George Weah defecting to Italy a week after playing for Liberia wouldn't be.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
KP was a definite case of "England as a Plan B" though. If he hadn't felt mistreated in SA he'd be playing for them. Trott barely plays for England, and I've never heard anyone complain about apathy as a result of Ambrose doing so.

Then on top of that you have Morgans and Joyces who just fancy a better standard of cricket, which is accepted in cricket in exactly the way that George Weah defecting to Italy a week after playing for Liberia wouldn't be.
That is true and I'm very much anti England's poaching (unlike SA or Oz we're actually a net consumer of cricket talent), but the rule about players being able to play for associates whilst undergoing their qualification for test nations was brought in at the behest of Ireland, really, so Joyce could play in the qualification for the last WC.

Previously if yer Joyces & Morgans fancied a crack at tests they'd be lost to the home nations even earlier.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Its a fine balance really. I don't think it would be a national uproar if Giggs had chosen to play for England or young Aaron Ramsey.

Understandably not many are convinced about Almunia credentials. The 4-year qualification rule in cricket (and i think athletics) is a bit stink yea, but England have been doing it for years in other sports.

Football is behind you can say, i guess more national pride is felt playing football than any other sport haa..

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not worried about nationality, I am a bit w0rried that Almunia is a bit ****, though:unsure:
Been excellent for us this season apart from one goal (Bentley). He's been a calm assured guy to have at the back and poles apart from the crazy bastard we had in there before him. He'd be the best player eligible for England comfortably on this season's performances.

Burgey

I don't think English sport's really in melt down atm, given your great 08 Olympics.