• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your best moment as a Sports fan

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
As an Australian cricket follower, of my generation anyway, we have been spoilt and grown accustomed to winning, which in a way desensitizes the victories. The 99 world cup win and the two games against South Africa would be the pick from a cricketing perspective.

My AFL team has lost more grand finals than the socceroos have had ill fated world cup qualifying campaigns, so highlights (team wise, not forgetting the great man individually!) have been few and far between following Geelong. Billy Brownless kicking the goal after the siren to win the qualifying final against Footscray is as good as it gets.

The match against Japan at the world cup is right up there but for me the penalty shootout in the qualifier against Uruguay was better for raw emotion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ5u3OY4nsc&NR

Switch the volume to full blast and suck it in. It was a great call by Craig Foster, SBS’s impartiality went out the window in style :D

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Great Birtannia said:
Switch the volume to full blast and suck it in. It was a great call by Craig Foster, SBS’s impartiality went out the window in style :D
That's why I love penalty shoot-outs (& as an English Arsenal fan I've suffered more than most at their hands); all the drama of Football condensed into one handy bite-sized package. Yeah, they're contrived & usually make victims of innocent players, but no-one can say it's not the best feeling in the world when you win one!

Yer man there sounded well chuffed! :D

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Don't tell my missus, but I'm not sure if for a single moment of ectasy, anything will ever, ever, ever, ever, ever top this

open365

International Vice-Captain
Scaly piscine said:
Can't choose between the drop goal against the 16 man Australia side in the Rugby World Cup and Kasprowicz c Jones b Harmison.
Me to, though tbf to the ref he said after the game he would have gave us an offside penalty if Johny had missed.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Im sure Ill miss some but if they dont pop into my head now then they cant be that special, right? :)

I guess it is a variety across a few sports.

- Winning the Ashes, obviously

- Liverpool winning the Champions League with their incredible "Roy of the Rovers" style come back

- Best night out ever after watching any sporting event on TV was after England v Spain, Euro 96

- Eubank - Benn

- Seb Coe's "I Told You So" win in LA, 1500m at 1984 Olympics

- Super Bowl XXXVI, with Adam Vinatieri's last second winning kick (closely followed by what he did against Oakland earlier in the playoffs)

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Being at Carisbrook on a awful Dunedin day to watch Otago beat the Springboks 19-10 in 1994.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
grecian said:
What, outclassed for 89 minutes,then fluking a win?
That's not quite true. In the last 20 we were creating chances for fun, which is partially why it was so dramatic - with missing so many chances, everyone was beginnign to feel it wasn't our day.

The previous 70 Bayern definitely had by far the better of, and Schmeichel and the woodwork both take massive credit for keeping us in it... but we dominated for 20 minutes and created just as many chances in those 20 than Bayern did in 70.

Also, it wasn't a fluke.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Schmeichel was pathetic for Bayern's goal tho. Takes a step to his right as the free kick is struck so he can't see squat, free kick is passed into the part of the goal Schmeichel should be covering.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
Schmeichel was pathetic for Bayern's goal tho. Takes a step to his right as the free kick is struck so he can't see squat, free kick is passed into the part of the goal Schmeichel should be covering.
That's debatable - while it was undoubtedly a soft goal, I lay the blame at the wall for allowing the Bayern player (might have been Scholl, can't remember) to run infront and then peel off, meaning Schmeichel saw it late.

Either way, he made up for it later.

Scaly piscine

But it's far easier to simply pass the ball into the corner than get it over the wall and under the bar. Even if Schmeichel sees it earlier he's wrong-footed/off-balance and still doesn't save it in my opinion. By moving behind the wall he's not any more likely to see the ball early and it puts him in a bad position, he's basically committing himself in the hope that the free kick ends up going to Schmeichel's right or that part of the goal.

Anyway always been one of my pet hates in football, a keeper standing in the middle of the goal when he has a wall and then gets beaten by a shot on the side he should be covering - it's like why bother with a wall in the first place? David James does it in particular I think. If it was an American sport in America it'd never happen, they squeeze every last percentage point out of every situation - be it pulling the goaltender in the last minute, bringing in a hitter that is suited against a certain style of pitcher, getting as much of a jump as a baserunner as possible etc.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
I'd have to say West Indies winning the Champions Trophy. Didn't get to see the 1999 CL Final but that's up there for me.

Johnners

Scaly piscine said:
Can't choose between the drop goal against the 16 man Australia side in the Rugby World Cup and Kasprowicz c Jones b Harmison.

:blink: please elaborate ?