• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who could you play for?

cricketboy29

International Regular
India-Born There
Hong Kong- Lived there for 13 years, Citizenship
Singapore-PR
England- (Does uni count?)

Last edited:

Dydl

International Debutant
Eligible to play for Australia (birth and residence) and South Africa (grandparent)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
With all the talk about players playing for countries other than their own in various threads I thought I'd dig this up so any new posters could tell us who they're qualifed to represent.

As I said:

This thread is a complete swipe from Planet Rugby, but I thought it might be interesting to know which other countries CW posters would be eligible for were they Rugby Union internationals. Cricket's qualification is pretty dull, basically being either born in the country, a national of that country or having resided in a country for four years. Rugby Union's criteria is a bit broader & therefore more interesting IMHO; under Regulation 8.1 of the IRB's code it states one is eligible for a country in which

a) a he/she was born; or

b) one parent or grandparent was born; or

c) he/she has completed thirty six months of residence immediately preceeding the time of playing

So basically if you have a parent or grandparent from elsewhere or have lived somewhere for 3 years you qualify for that country as well as your "own" country under Union's rules.

I qualify for:

1) England (by birth & residence) &
2) Ireland (by my maternal grandfather being born in Ireland).

Anyone else? :)

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
England (birth, maternal grandfather born)
Scotland (mum, maternal grandmother born)
Romania (dad, paternal grandparents)

Possibly another Eastern European country, dunno.
Still this.

One of my friends is German, South Africa, Scottish, Zambian and (now) English qualified. Although she would kill me dead if I ever called her English.

Craig

World Traveller
I would be eligible for Australia since I have now been here for 10 years, but I don't have a piece of paper saying I'm also Australian, so I guess I'm not. Every now and then I get letters in the mail from the AEC asking me why I haven't voted or to enroll, but they can't do ****.

So New Zealand it is.

99*

International Debutant
Born- NZ
Father- USA
Paternal Grandfather- Greece
Paternal Grandmother- Poland
Maternal Grandfather- Ireland

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well he was - walked out when I was four, giving rist to my pathological issues with things UK....

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well he was - walked out when I was four, giving rist to my pathological issues with things UK....
Those armchair psychologists amongst us nodding sagely to ourselves right now. :ph34r:

Nah, seriously, ****ty thing to do to your family at any age.