• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Socceroos and Australian Football

the big bambino

International Captain
Not a big soccer fan but love the WC and its qualifying rounds. Surprisingly we've got some talent with Oar, Kruse, Rogic, Holman, Bressie, Cahill and Milligan. Kennedy still has impact. I like Archie Thompson too. I didn't see this game but the ones v Japan and Jordan showed we have some attacking ability rarely seen from a Socceroos side. We have the men who can make the incisive passes and others who can finish. Probably the most exciting Aus soccer team I've seen.

I've heard some commentators say we have a weakness at the back and the likes of Neil and the Serbian or Croatian guy, whose name escapes me, will be exposed at the WC. We'll see. A guy called Spiranovic was mentioned as a likely replacement for either of them. Lets see if we can strengthen the squad leading up to the WC.

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah defense for me is a big worry. There was one point in that Iraq match where one of their guys literally jogged through about 3 of our defenders getting very close to being in the box, without even trying to get past them. Way too lazy and has to tighten up. Would get annihilated against teams like Germany.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The squad seems to me to be in that difficult phase where there are a number of potentially very good young players and some terrific older blokes on the way out, but few players really at their peak. It shows up in defence a fair bit IMO.

Of all of them, I really wish Bresciano was still in his mid 20s. I know the likes of Kewell, Viduka & Cahill got all the wraps in the 06 side but IMO Bresciano and Culina were the heart and soul of that outfit and were quality midfielders.

Even last night, Bres obviously well past his best, but that cross - fms he placed that ball on Kennedy's melon. It was that good a cross.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Bresc has definitely still got it. Currently being voted our best player of the qualifying campaign on Fox Sports.

The next year will be great for the fringe players to really make a case for selection at their clubs.

...Lucas should really get a club, haha.

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah maybe my memory is clouded, but Bresciano has looked just as good as ever to me...I mean I haven't really seen him make any significant blunders at all? Someone who I've never been impressed with though, is Wilkshire. Surely we can do better, and he plays such a pivotal role...

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wilkshire is so inconsistent. For every good pass/bit of play there seems to be 2-3 misdirected passes and assorted **** ups.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why do you hate everything Australian? Cricket team is one thing, have been guilty of **** behaviour in the past, but the Socceroos?

Oh and God forbid Australian fans get behind their national team. Someone who loves football such as yourself should enjoy the sport becoming more and more popular in this country.

The worst bit about this is when I saw you posted in this thread I knew you'd make a post hating on the team. Such is your usual style of pissing on Australian teams. Just ridiculous.
Lakemba isn't in Australia apparently.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Went to the United-All Stars game Saturday night. Was really enjoyable. We sat behind the northern goal, so the first half was a bit bereft of action, but we saw the three second half goals. First half highlight was a security guard in front of us getting stonkered int eh back of the melon by an errant shot.

Great to see the likes of Giggs and RVP on the park. They were taking the piss for most of the game I think, really a glorified training run in front of 83,000 people. Was superb for Burgeinho to see the game, though now he insists we go to Old Trafford to "compare the atmosphere". What struck me was the patience these top flight players have - they just don't panic in front of goal, and the way they're prepared to build up sustained pressure. The A League b lokes weren't disgraced, just thoroughly outclassed really, as you'd expect.

Hope more top European teams do the preseason tours down here in future.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Hope more top European teams do the preseason tours down here in future.
Reckon they will. I think they underestimated how popular the game is here. Liverpool got a tick over 95,000 people.

Last edited: