• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Socceroos and Australian Football

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Decent squad, but I do hope they lose.

Really it is a joke they don't even try and bring back fringe European based players. Guys like Burns, Williams, Vidosic and co leave the A-League to play in better leagues around the world. Then can't even get a game when the first teamers are rested for the Socceroos. Considering the likes of Williams, Vidic, Kilkenny, Leijer and Troisi all came back for non International date matches for the Olyroos. There no reason why you can't get these guys back for these matches.

A chance to really see who next in line with squad containing the best of A-League and fringe European players missed here. You don't improve your depth by playing 3rd string squads with half the players no where near first team selection.

Will become a bigger joke if we have matches in the middle east and they select all 2nd string European players like last time. There is reason why we failed in the last Asian Cup. We had no depth and no played together before with our three different squads.

Charity caps.

ripper868

International Coach
Could be a bit of a wait for that simon, since they just brought fury and GCFC in and all.

Just be happy with your W-League team making the final.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Apropos of Sydney's own Timmy Cahill scoring another crucial goal last night, I was wondering idly about the make up of the Socceroos per state. Does the national side have even spread or does any state have a whip hand when it comes to football talent? Obv NSW & QLD favour league & AFL is king elsewhere, but is the round ball code nationwide?

My guess would be those cities with large Italian, Greek or former Yugoslav populations would be the obvious hotbeds.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah NSW and Victoria are biggest, but not my a massive margin over the rest like other codes. If you broke it down to population/registered players they all would be fairly even.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Socceroos to play in Canberra on March 5

Pretty excited, obviously wont be full strength but it's a good sign. Also a big chance for us to show we can get a good crowd and deserve a team in the A-League
As has previously been stated in this thread (I think, or maybe it was in an article I read?) I don't see how Canberra could support an A-League side really. Has quite a small population, and already has Super 14 & League teams. Can't imagine an A-League side would be sustainable along with the other 2.

Redbacks

International Captain
In johhny warren's book he talks about the old days when the national team would be selected from only NSW players and as a result when the team toured Australia fans would barrack for the opposition in protest to the dire selction policy.

We had a pretty good influx of players from european youth setups in Adelaide from Eastern Europe and Italy, and a Kossie. Thus the standard has declined in most peoples opinions since the 80-90's

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As has previously been stated in this thread (I think, or maybe it was in an article I read?) I don't see how Canberra could support an A-League side really. Has quite a small population, and already has Super 14 & League teams. Can't imagine an A-League side would be sustainable along with the other 2.
If the team is relatively successful then it will draw crowds. Canberran supporters are the most fickle in the country, when our teams are doing well we will go and watch, when they are struggling we wont.
I really dont see the Raiders and Brumbies as competition considering the A-League is in summer.

Burgey

Especially when Canberra sees no international cricket, aside from a PM's XI match each year.

Simon

There is pretty much no sport on here during the summer except for the Womens Basketball and obviously now the W-League.
There is support here and in fact Canberra already has more members signed up than any other team did before they came into the league. (The 8 originals + the 2 new ones)

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Apropos of Sydney's own Timmy Cahill scoring another crucial goal last night, I was wondering idly about the make up of the Socceroos per state. Does the national side have even spread or does any state have a whip hand when it comes to football talent? Obv NSW & QLD favour league & AFL is king elsewhere, but is the round ball code nationwide?

My guess would be those cities with large Italian, Greek or former Yugoslav populations would be the obvious hotbeds.
Using Wiki our 2006 World Cup squads birth places..

Schwarzer Sydney
Neill Sydney
Moore Sydney
Cahill Sydney
Popovic Sydney
Emerton Sydney
Skoko Sydney
Kewell Sydney
Covic Sydney
Chipperfield Sydney
Beauchamp Sydney
Kalac Sydney
Milligan - Sydney

Wilkshire - Wollongong, NSW
Sterjovski - Wollongong, NSW

Bresciano - Melbourne.
Culina Melbourne
Viduka Melbourne
Grella Melbourne
Kennedy Wodonga - Victoria

Aloisi Adelaide

Lazaradis Perth

Thompson Otorohanga, New Zealand

As you can see, Sydney/NSW dominates. I didn't record everyone's first clubs, this may get slightly different results.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Interesting, ta. Obv Sydney the most populous city, but I'd imagine that representation is over and above their pro-rata share.

All the Melbourne-born players have non-Anglo surnames, I note. Probably suggests AFL still king amongst the Anglo-Celtic Aussies.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Off the top of my head Moore was raised and developed in Brisbane, Chipperfield Wollongong and Thompson Melbourne and Culina I think was Sydney.