• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The worst sport to watch?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I don't even count chess as a sport.

Golf and Rugby Union have to be the most boring things on Earth

Langeveldt

Soutie
To be honest, I think most sports are boring if you don't have a concept as to the rules and little tactics that go on all the time, at least being good at the sport helps as well..

I can fully see why cricket is boring to watch for people who aren't interested in it in the first place..

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Ooh, tricky. K1 martial-arts and boxing I've never had much for, but when you manage to get involved in watching ball-by-ball commentary online of a sport that your culture pretty much gives sod-all about, it kinda gives itself that I like most sports on this earth.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anil said:
Golf
Baseball
Poker
Is poker a sport? I didn't know that - I knew chess was but I disagree, I think there should be some physical element involved for something to be declared a sport, so if you dress people up as chess pieces and then have them tackle each other as they try to make their way around a giant chess board then it's game on! :p

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Rhythmic Gymnastics - whoop-de-doo, you can through a ball/hoop/ribbon in the air and catch it. Good for you, but it ain't a sport.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Langeveldt said:
Just don't like watching it! Got nothing against the great sport and enjoy a few frames now and again
I like playing snooker, we don't get a lot of coverage here in New Zealand but I enjoy watching it from time to time.

The worst sport, in my opinion, would be a gymnastics/synchronised event.

andyc

yeah i like playing snooker. got a table at home here. came dirt cheap, too.
sports i dont like watching-
golf
gymnastics (unless roy and hg are doing it)
synchronised swimming (unless roy and hg are doing it)
bowls
curling
basketball (get the ball, run up the court, dunk it. other team gets the ball, runs up the court, dunks it)
itll annoy people here, but soccer. i really enjoy playing it but i just cant stand watching it more than highlights.
baseball/softball. i dont know how americans can call cricket boring. ive seen games and its taken about half an hour for them to hit the damn ball.

andyc

Samuel_Vimes said:
Hey, that's fun, lots of tactics involved in that game...(although any sport where Norwegians win with any regularity is fun... ;))
lol yeah im sure there is, just the game that i watched didnt really entertain me.

andyc

out of curiousity, whats the difference between a sport and a game. when does a game become a sport?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
andyc said:
out of curiousity, whats the difference between a sport and a game. when does a game become a sport?
Old chestnut...

Simple answer is that it's up to each individual to define. However, I think there must be some kind of physical involvement which is required for success (either in technique or strength or balance or whatever) before it is a sport. That is, chess is a game (as it's the mental involvement that's the main part), but curling and snooker are sports (as you need accuracy with the cue or with the stones to have success, which comes from technique).

Scaly piscine

andyc said:
baseball/softball. i dont know how americans can call cricket boring. ive seen games and its taken about half an hour for them to hit the damn ball.
Baseball purists actually like those pitching duel games where barely anyone can hit the ball. I'm always amazed how they spread such a dull game so thinly that it covers 2-4 hours.