• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The worst sport to watch?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
broncoman said:
AFL does not have a larger television audience, bigger crowds, ive already given u that. Its going to be interesting in 5 or 6 years when The Perth Super 12 team is going strong and the A League is a winter sport with Perth doing well as usual, just to see how much fremantles and the west coasts crowd figures go... One of those sides will die without a doubt if the other 2 sports are succesful, not to mention the fact the NRL is going back to the west this year...
Brisbane's crowds will be down this year, its proven the brisbane people will only watch a winner and when the Lions start going downhill, the lions will be in real trouble...
the way i see it is League, Football and Union going foward and AFL going backwards in australia...

now we can agree to disagree...
How convenient....

Simon

benchmark00 said:
How convenient....
the stats speak for themselves, the AFL knows its in trouble when they start introducing things like Super goals and more umpires :-O

benchmark00

broncoman said:
the stats speak for themselves, the AFL knows its in trouble when they start introducing things like Super goals and more umpires :-O
They havent though.... thats only in the wizard cup for something different, theres never been any suggestion for it to be introduced into the home & away season... I could comment on NRL players forever being embroiled in rape allegations but i wont... :D

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
benchmark00 said:
They havent though.... thats only in the wizard cup for something different, theres never been any suggestion for it to be introduced into the home & away season... I could comment on NRL players forever being embroiled in rape allegations but i wont... :D
You won't do that because we all know A.F.L. players aren't saints.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Samuel_Vimes said:
Hey, that's fun, lots of tactics involved in that game...(although any sport where Norwegians win with any regularity is fun... ;))
Not to mention rare :p

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Halsey said:
Anyone who enjoys watching snooker needs their brain checking
Tom Halsey said:
Robert Croft is a decent spinner
Tom Halsey said:
Ferguson turned United from mid table plodders to Title winners on practically nothing... because unlike Arsenal, we invest in English youth. 8-)
:huh: who needs their brain checking? 8-)

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Just seen this (thanks to Bennett for pointing it out) that I stand by all those comments. Robert Croft is indeed a decent spinner (no more) and Ferguson did do it on almost nothing (in transfer fees anyway) he relied on bargains and youth, with the odd buy.

Marc to rebuff in 5... 4... 3...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I will rebuff it because he did spend a fair amount for the time, or were the likes of Keane, Ince, Pallister, Irwin all free transfers?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
For a start Keane was after the time in question.

As for the others, yes he did spend money, it still isn't that much anyway, for the time or not.

And going back to your original comment that Wenger has a better eye for a bargain - I don't remember him ever getting as good value as Ferguson got for Schmeichel and Cantona.

Slow Love™

International Captain
The truly boring spectator sports are the ones you might enjoy playing, but can't stand watching. Picking on a sport you don't like generally just means it's not to your tastes.

My vote goes to squash. I loved playing it, and did so competitively at a reasonable level for five years. But watching it on TV is amazingly boring, because at the highest levels, it's a group of never-ending rallies in which a point is awarded every time one of the players slightly mistimes his hundredth shot, and gets caught out of position..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Over £2 million for a defender?!

No, that's nothing (!)

As for Wenger not getting good value - Anelka, Petit, Vieira, Touré - combined cost of those 4 - £3m

No, he's never got good value has he!

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Anything on Fox Sports when there's no Super 12, cricket or soccer is yawnworthy.

So far I've seen tenpin bowling, darts, snooker and many variations of motocross.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Two Melbourne clubs playing AFL on a Sunday Afternoon
A marathon on foot or horse

Chess is actually really interesting professionally, I'd take that over horseracing or golf anyday

Triple Crown

Cricket Spectator
" Originally Posted by Tom Halsey
Ferguson turned United from mid table plodders to Title winners on practically nothing... because unlike Arsenal, we invest in English youth. "

Agreed. Didn't David Beckham, Ryan Giggs, Nicky Butt, Paul Scholes & the Neville brothers all come out of the Man U academy?

If so, that's some excellent nurturing, reminiscent of the Ajax academy of the 70's & 80's.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Triple Crown said:
Ferguson turned United from mid table plodders to Title winners on practically nothing... because unlike Arsenal, we invest in English youth. "

Agreed. Didn't David Beckham, Ryan Giggs, Nicky Butt, Paul Scholes & the Neville brothers all come out of the Man U academy?

If so, that's some excellent nurturing, reminiscent of the Ajax academy of the 70's & 80's.
I though the Man U Academy was designed to produce football players, not African-American gospel-soul singers?

:p

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Triple Crown said:

Yes they all did, but they also all came along well after the side started winning the league (ie after he'd spent the money in the first place)

chris.hinton

International Captain
A lof people did not know is that over the last 3 years Man United has Spent more then Chelsea on Big Signing Such as Rooney, Smith, Ferdinand and Ronaldo as well as 3-6 million on Bellion,Kelberson,Dejemba2, Heinze, Howard

But Unlike Chelsea Ferguson has an excellent youth policy which has brought in a wealth of talent

Beckham, Nevilles, Butt, Brown, Scholes, Richardson, Spector, O Shea

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The "wealth" is a bit of a myth - since that group that came along, there's not been any stars produced.