• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most disgraceful sporting performances.....

Tom Halsey

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Singles Record:
458 - 242

Singles Titles:
Double Titles:
Prize Money:
$11,051,612

SINGLES CAREER TITLES (11): 1997--Sydney Outdoor, Tashkent; 1998--Basel, Tashkent; 2000--Brighton, Vienna; 2001--Basel, Copenhagen; 2002--Adelaide; 2003--Paris TMS, Washington FINALIST (16): 1997--Antwerp, Doha; 1998--Los Angeles, Sydney Outdoor; 1999--Basel, Doha, London / Queen's Club, Rotterdam; 2000--Cincinnati, Rotterdam, Scottsdale; 2001--London / Queen's Club; 2002--Indian Wells TMS, London / Queen's Club, Rotterdam; 2004--Indian Wells AMS

In the top 25 consistently from October 1996 through to recently.
So there you go. He didn't do anything of note in any major tournament past any semi-finals (and just because we're traditionally crap at tennis doesn't make it any better). To me, Murray looks a far better prospect than Henman ever was.

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
Scaly piscine said:
That's a pretty awful argument - you don't need to be a weatherman to know it's raining.

As for the influence the referee had, England would have won comfortably if he'd been competent. England would have kept piling the pressure on and getting points. Instead the referee was penalising the wrong side, giving possession and field position to a side that couldn't earn it otherwise and gave them a break from being worn down. The effect is huge, 3 points (or more) to England or a line-out near England's 22. This happened repeatedly.
England. Kill. The. Ball.

They do it repeatedly, even when they have the ball themselves. :D

Craig

World Traveller
Andriy Shevchenko elbowing Marco Materazzi in the face in the CL quarter final and did not get sent off. Had it been on the other foot Materazzi would of been shown the red card.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
That American gymnast that ran into the pummel horse, can't quite remember his name. Billy Birmingham did a bit about him
That was on some countdown tv show 20-1, hilarious stuff. Sprinting as hard as he could and jumped straight into the horse

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Craig said:
Andriy Shevchenko elbowing Marco Materazzi in the face in the CL quarter final and did not get sent off. Had it been on the other foot Materazzi would of been shown the red card.
Inter fans & Dida

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
yeah that was **** poor actually, i had never thought bad of the inter fans, they gave arsenal a standing ovation when they got thrashed 5-2 at the san siro.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
marc71178 said:
If Murray does 9 years in a row constantly in the top echelons of players, I'll be shocked.
Well he's shown all the signs, the only thing he hasn't really seen yet is real pressure towards the end of tournaments. Only time will tell.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tom Halsey said:
Well he's shown all the signs, the only thing he hasn't really seen yet is real pressure towards the end of tournaments.
He's not really got there though has he?

Admittedly he's still young and not fully developed, but he does seem to have this habit of losing the long games.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
you could argue that being down to fitness or stamina problems though, as he does just seem to die out.

Craig

World Traveller
Langeveldt said:
As well as Mohammad Azharuddhin and Saleem Malik
And Herschelle Gibbs and Henry Smith, along with Ajay Jadeja and Ata-ur-Rehman.

Surprised nobody hasn't mentioned Mike Gatting and Rana back in 1987.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
And Herschelle Gibbs and Henry Smith, along with Ajay Jadeja and Ata-ur-Rehman.

Surprised nobody hasn't mentioned Mike Gatting and Rana back in 1987.
I don't wish to speak ill of the dead - or the dead fat.

Blaze

Banned
KennyD said:
England. Kill. The. Ball.

They do it repeatedly, even when they have the ball themselves. :D
Yeah if i was Scaley I would shut up.. England won that world cup based on their ability to cheat better than anyone else.

Just as NZ and SA are the best ATM for the same reason.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Blaze said:
Yeah if i was Scaley I would shut up.. England won that world cup based on their ability to cheat better than anyone else.

If you ask me, the most disgraceful sporting moment of all time was when William Webb Ellis picked that ball up at Rugby School to invent the horrible game the whole world now knows as 'puffs rugby'.

Should have been given extra prep, the spotty oik.

KennyD

Blaze said:

Except NZ do it less than England did. NZ still play Rugby.

KennyD

luckyeddie said:
If you ask me, the most disgraceful sporting moment of all time was when William Webb Ellis picked that ball up at Rugby School to invent the horrible game the whole world now knows as 'puffs rugby'.

Should have been given extra prep, the spotty oik.
~chuckle~

Ok, I liked that one LE.

Blaze

Banned
KennyD said:
Except NZ do it less than England did. NZ still play Rugby.

Oh for sure.. NZ are a positive side who play an attractive brand. England played a very negative brand of rugby but hey it won them a world cup. I think all union fans are just glad that the game has moved forwards and that when teams try to play like England did in the World Cup ala the British Lions, they get smashed.