• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Six Nations

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I've got £3 on Shane Horgan for first try scorer today @ 10s.

Starting to wish I'd have a bit each way on The Taffs when you could've got 'em @ 12s or 13s. Bet they've come in a bit now.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
What about Italy winning a game. Considering Scotland'sform against France you could get good odds on that.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Only 8-6 to The Micks at the break. Yer Italians have played well, if their fly-half had his kicking boots on they may even be ahead.

My bet is screwed; Geordan Murphy went over for the first try. O'Driscoll made a quality break for the try.

Less good news with a view to The Lions is Gordon D'Arcy going off with what looks like a reoccurrence of his ham-string probs.

Anna

International Vice-Captain
And O'Driscoll....

I have to say that England would've been better served with ANDY BEATTIE playing alongside Worsely at blindside & a.n.other (Hazell was anonymous & Jones a bit too), Olly Barkely starting alongside Noon instead of Tait (who was out of his depth) and Andy Titterell starting instead of Steve Thompson- he had another shocker with his throwing and can't get away with it for much longer.

One more thing. All this talk of the Italians being thrashed....rubbish if you ask me. After some of their results in the Autumn & their showing against the Irish today, they are no longer the whipping boys. With Scotland's performance against the French, I don't think anyone can predict how the tournament will finish!

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Jamee999 said:
What about Italy winning a game. Considering Scotland'sform against France you could get good odds on that.
Well, you'd think Italy's biggest chance was against Scotland. But then, there's always England - Italy. :P

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Anna said:
And O'Driscoll....

I have to say that England would've been better served with ANDY BEATTIE playing alongside Worsely at blindside & a.n.other (Hazell was anonymous & Jones a bit too), Olly Barkely starting alongside Noon instead of Tait (who was out of his depth) and Andy Titterell starting instead of Steve Thompson- he had another shocker with his throwing and can't get away with it for much longer.

One more thing. All this talk of the Italians being thrashed....rubbish if you ask me. After some of their results in the Autumn & their showing against the Irish today, they are no longer the whipping boys. With Scotland's performance against the French, I don't think anyone can predict how the tournament will finish!
Bath fan Anna? ;)

It's still Hugh Vyvyan for me; hoping Moody's fit for next week tho. Actually I'd probably pick Lipman ahead of Beattie too.

Barkley did look a class above when he came on; I think he's played himself into the XV for next week. The trouble England have is most of our options at centre (Catt, Paul, Barkley himself) are natural inside-centres. One outside centre who gets constantly overlooked is Andrew Higgins @ Bath. I saw him play @ Leicester last season & he was kwality. Reckon it'll be Olly Smith who gets nod tho.

Italy looked ok, forwards especially. They absolutely shredded Ireland up front. They just lack a bit of penetration from their backs. De Marigny looked their man most likely too & I think he's actually a Saffie!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd have to say that the standard of rugby over the weekend was not that great. I was starting to get nervous about the Lions coming, and don't get me wrong..it's going to be like Helms Deep & then some more but we've got the players here to take whatever comes at us I think.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The British Lions can be pleased that French players cannot be picked because they are appalling at the moment. With all due respect to Scotland, France are alot better than that scoreline.

Ireland should have also dealt with Italy a bit better too.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
First Weekend Lions XV

Ok, based solely on the performances of the first weekend of the 6 Nations (and considering only players who appeared in it) here's how my Lions team would look if it were picked tonight:

1) G Rowntree (Eng)
2) G Bulloch (Sco)
3) J White (Eng)
4) B Kay (Eng)
5) P O'Connell (Ire)
6) J White (Sco)
7) M Williams (Wal)
8) M Owen (Wal)
9) C Cuister (Sco)
10) R O'Gara (Ire)
11) S Williams (Wal)
12) G Henson (Wal)
13) B O'Driscoll (Ire, capt)
14) J Robinson (Eng)
15) G Murphy (Ire)

Replacements: T Smith (Sco), M Davies (Wal), B ****bain (Wal), J Worsley (Eng), H Ellis (Eng), O Barkley (Eng), J Lewsey (Eng)

There's obviously a way to go & some big names missing, but a far more even representation across the four home nations than the England/Ireland carve-up I'd imagined.

Of the guys who I tipped for the XV who played the stock of 3 has fallen: Shane Byrne scrummaged like a girl against Italy, it look like time may be catching up with Matt Dawson & Gordon D'Arcy had a mare thru no fault of his own: pulled a hamstring & Gavin Hairgel (complete with silver boots & shaved legs, the steaming great Welsh poof!) plays absolute blinder. :D

Anna

BoyBrumby said:
Bath fan Anna? ;)

It's still Hugh Vyvyan for me; hoping Moody's fit for next week tho. Actually I'd probably pick Lipman ahead of Beattie too.

Barkley did look a class above when he came on; I think he's played himself into the XV for next week. The trouble England have is most of our options at centre (Catt, Paul, Barkley himself) are natural inside-centres. One outside centre who gets constantly overlooked is Andrew Higgins @ Bath. I saw him play @ Leicester last season & he was kwality. Reckon it'll be Olly Smith who gets nod tho.
Well, Lippy's injured & is going to be out for the rest of the season with a ruptured tendon (major bummer!).

Barkley gave the team another dimension when he came on; to Noon's credit he does play mostly at outside centre, so maybe him there & Olly inside....? Yes, Andrew Higgins is great as are Alex Crockett, Matt Perry, Matt Wood etc etc :D :D

Anna

Oh, something I need to re-iterate....STEVE THOMPSON'S THROWING IS SH*TE!!!! Even Bath's Academy hooker Dave Ward can do better than that- he out played Shane Byrne when Bath played Leinster in the Heineken Cup!!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Anna said:
Oh, something I need to re-iterate....STEVE THOMPSON'S THROWING IS SH*TE!!!! Even Bath's Academy hooker Dave Ward can do better than that- he even out played Shane Byrne when Bath played Leinster in the Heineken Cup!!
No argument here (& I say that as a Saints fan).

Titterrell is too much of a midget for a hooker tho IMO, so I'd go for George Chuter from Leicester.

Actually I'd probably go for Mark Reagan. But he retired in a sulk & I can't see Robbo asking him back any time soon.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anna said:
Oh, something I need to re-iterate....STEVE THOMPSON'S THROWING IS SH*TE!!!! Even Bath's Academy hooker Dave Ward can do better than that- he out played Shane Byrne when Bath played Leinster in the Heineken Cup!!
Yea I've been moaning about him for years, it totally baffles me why he stays in the team because he throws the ball away 3-4 times a game (minimum) every game. Reminds me of football, 50 million people (or thereabouts) and we can't find a decent left-footer - in rugby it's why can't we find someone who can throw straight and not overthrow the ball by a few yards.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
The British Lions can be pleased that French players cannot be picked because they are appalling at the moment. With all due respect to Scotland, France are alot better than that scoreline.

To be fair, on the day I felt that a draw was the least the Scots deserved, they were probably the best performers of the weekend from what I saw (and I actually managed to watch all 3 games)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Whats the deal with this guy Tait? Is he really good enough to play international rugby at the age of 18?.

I know Daniel Carter was highly rated at 18, but he's really only just started to realise his potential at 23.