• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Round of 16 thread

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Luckily for them it's probably England in the next round. And Rami is suspended. My god he was bad today.
Yes if it goes that far Germany would absolutely slaughter France.

I think England's attack could suddenly look full of ideas if they come up against France. Doesn't mean they'll put the chances away though.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member

I think England's attack could suddenly look full of ideas if they come up against France. Doesn't mean they'll put the chances away though.
I'm more worried about the England defence if they come up against a team that puts them under pressure.

Scaly piscine

The difference between Germany and other sides like England and Spain are the dimensions of attack.

You can't just expect to walk the ball into the net. You need to be able to play the long ball, the short ball, have movement, aerial threats, pace, width, crosses. England often lack the width, it is a makeshift width - sometimes the full backs come up, but other times not and the rest of the team don't seem willing to go out wide. The crosses have been poor and there's not been much aerial threat either. The movement also seems to disappear the longer the game goes on.

Germany can easily take you apart in any way. They don't care how they do it. Just that they get the ball in the net.

These issues are less important in general play, but when a team parks the bus then Germany are a class apart.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah Germany were great. So rare to see international teams that can constantly take deep defences apart like that.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Germany v France is a potential classic in the making tbh. Griezmann and Payet against a team with no full backs could be carnage, and France's defence looks vulnerable.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Germany v France is a potential classic in the making tbh. Griezmann and Payet against a team with no full backs could be carnage, and France's defence looks vulnerable.
Be just like England to ruin it by beating France then and then getting beaten by the Germans on penalties.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
More likely Spain/Italy will ruin it with a 1-0 win. They both have an amazing recent tournament record v Germany as well.

Pothas

Germany v Spain could be interesting as well if it happens, just want to see what there approach would be.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
That was impressive.

I wonder if the team that wins this half of the draw will win the thing as whichever one of France/Germany/Italy/Spain will surely have taken too much out of themselves to get to the final.