• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final - England v New Zealand

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

Amirfan

School Boy/Girl Captain
In football terms the World Cup is Champions League and Champions Trophy is Europa League in terms of importance. Good to win but nowhere near as big.
England haven't won either so it's not really saying much. Even NZ and SA have only won CT.

Woodster

International Captain
Genuinely can't wait for this on Sunday!! First WC final since 1992 and an excellent chance of actually winning it this time. That's not to overlook the obvious threat that NZ represent, world-class matchwinners that can either put a decent score on the board or make a mockery of a top order, going to be captivating viewing!!!

PikeyB

School Boy/Girl Captain
I have no issues with this. But my point isn’t about its validity but rather the level of competition and achievement. Yes the Champions Trophy may need to be cut out because its one more competition. But in terms of the level of competition, it’s no different to the WC and should be recognised as such.
Definitely wouldn't want to cast shade on Pakistan's victory :) . However as a sporting achievement , I have a higher regard for their 2009 World T20 success .

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
In football terms the World Cup is Champions League and Champions Trophy is Europa League in terms of importance. Good to win but nowhere near as big.
This is what I don't get. It's just a name change but with the exact same teams.

The Europa League/Champions League comparison doesn't really make sense as the EL trophy has different (and inferior) teams competing for it.

Saying all that, I'd much rather win the World Cup than the Champions Trophy. But looking at it logically, I have no idea why.

Days of Grace

International Captain
I can name all the World Cup winners by year but ask me to do the same for the Champions trophy and I have no chance. That should tell you something.

PikeyB

School Boy/Girl Captain
I did a similar exercise. I followed every game of that last Champions Trophy and I can barely remember a thing about it. I do remember feeling vaguely dissatisfied by the matches and onesided results . The most memorable interesting game for me ,was when we our got our arses whupped :D .

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England haven't won either so it's not really saying much. Even NZ and SA have only won CT.
What has that got to do with anything, just giving an opinion about why World Cup matters far more than Chumpions Trophy. No need for the sly digs at other nations is there.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
What has that got to do with anything, just giving an opinion about why World Cup matters far more than Chumpions Trophy. No need for the sly digs at other nations is there.
Definitely. No need to insult other countries. And I get why people don’t think the Champions Trophy matters as much as the WC.

BSM

U19 Cricketer
It is a bit bizarre to think that there are two tournaments, effectively identical in the quality of the teams playing, in which one is seen as much more importance and ultimately impressive in winning. It makes you think the CT is a little redundant because of it, but at least it feels the gap a little between World Cups. I still think its a noteworthy achievement to win it regardless; though if I had to choose I'd much rather win the World Cup. The only distinction between the two tournaments I guess is pressure

cnerd123

likes this
The champions trophy means less in analysis because the games have a lot less #pressue

World cup winners live in memory, while the champions trophy (like U19 world cup, World Cup Qualifiers, and women's cricket in general) only exist on highlight reels

That's why games in the WC mean more

wrongun

Banned
The champions trophy means less in analysis because the games have a lot less #pressue

World cup winners live in memory, while the champions trophy (like U19 world cup, World Cup Qualifiers, and women's cricket in general) only exist on highlight reels

That's why games in the WC mean more
If I were to directly compare it to Football, the CT is a bit like the Confeds Cup and the WC is well the WC

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If I were to directly compare it to Football, the CT is a bit like the Confeds Cup and the WC is well the WC
aka it doesn't really matter. Even Indian fans who are crazy about odis don't exactly remember the 2002 or 2013 CT wins as anything particularly significant.

WC> World t20> CT in the eyes of most fans. The wt20 is different enough to be its own thing, whereas the CT just feels like a much inferior version of the real cup.

PikeyB

School Boy/Girl Captain
Ideally I'd like to see Tri-series and quick tournaments being more of a thing in ODI ...replace the fat off the ICC and the waning interest in 50 over International series with fixtures that really mean something .

Anyway back to the final :) .

BBC weather is suggesting that there's a very low risk of rain tomorrow so pitch preparations should be optimal . I doubt there'll be a lot in the pitch if they really get time on the square . Overhead conditions don't look too helpful either . I can't see either team not going fullbore for swing and pace with the new balls though . It's been working out for both of them :) .

To my shame , I haven't seen enough of most these New Zealand lads bowling , I followed a lot of their games on the radio and highlights . So Sunday will be a treat for me , win ,lose or draw .

Conditions might suggest that England has an edge . However you can't rule out that 10.30 am start for doing a bit in England .If the semi-finals have proved nothing else it's that :D. In my opinion ,that might be the best shot for the Kiwis on a clear day . Bowl first to guarantee a short period where they have the natural advantage. 30/3 after 10 could be a match winning period .

Last edited: