• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's Your Favourite Player for the Weirdest Reason?

ReallyCrazy

Banned
masterblaster said:
For me has to be Ajit Agarkar. He's Indian, Fastest to 50 ODI wickets, those infamous 7 ducks, that Lords 100, the fan reaction, the inconsistency, the sheer brilliance, the sheer despair, the dangerousness, the ineptness, pretty much the whole damn roller-coaster ride.

Yep, I think that's what sums it up. Favourite player for the weirdest reason:

Ajit Agarkar
I hate this guy for the same reason.

thirdslip

Cricket Spectator
Larry Gomes. He was good when it was either absolutely necessary or totally unnecessary, but not otherwise!

- TS

pakster

U19 12th Man
Dar said:
The clear winner here is Chris Harris for a number of reasons:

He's been bald since birth
He action is the oddest in the world, half leg spin medium type ish
His middle name is ZinZan
He used to bowl with a cap
When we first watched him in a test match he extravagantly left the first 20 odd balls he faced and eventually fell lbw leaving a straight one.
I was gonna say Inzi for his 'running', but Chris Harris seems to be a better choice!

Fiery

Banned
Barney Rubble said:
Dwayne Bravo is also a cool name 'cos he sounds like a superhero, and he reminds me of a cartoon character called Johnny Bravo.
QUOTE]

I've always considered Dwayne to be a very unfortunate name

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Matthew Fleming, since I saw him in action in a C&G final (2002), and Christy Simson, the Sportsline reporter, called him "Former England all-rounder" (I am a fan of all-rounders) and I found he had made his debut late and he had a decent ODI record, but didn't last long.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Ajit Agarkar...for being so infuriatingly unpredictable and coming off when all is lost (once in a while) :p

PS : I feel like killing him for the same reason most of the other times. :@

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
masterblaster said:
For me has to be Ajit Agarkar. He's Indian, Fastest to 50 ODI wickets, those infamous 7 ducks, that Lords 100, the fan reaction, the inconsistency, the sheer brilliance, the sheer despair, the dangerousness, the ineptness, pretty much the whole damn roller-coaster ride.

Yep, I think that's what sums it up. Favourite player for the weirdest reason:

Ajit Agarkar
Couldn't have put it better myself

Its just his enigma if you wanted to put in one word...

All hail AA!

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
SJS said:
Ajit Agarkar...for being so infuriatingly unpredictable and coming off when all is lost (once in a while) :p

PS : I feel like killing him for the same reason most of the other times. :@
Actually I find it very amusing and satisfactory...

When everything is lost and he's playing well...to me it feels like AA is teasing everyone else in the team maybe saying 'I played well but the others let the team down' :p

tooextracool

International Coach
Arjun said:
Matthew Fleming, since I saw him in action in a C&G final (2002), and Christy Simson, the Sportsline reporter, called him "Former England all-rounder" (I am a fan of all-rounders) and I found he had made his debut late and he had a decent ODI record, but didn't last long.

fleming, miraculosly managed one good series in sharjah(one that i will never forget) where he had a golden arm and kept picking up wickets despite being expensive. his performance in the final against the WI was fabulous with both bat and ball and his 33 from 26 really took england from nowhere to victory. but really his next 2 series showed him to be the desperately mediocre bowler he really was.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Fiery said:
I've always considered Dwayne to be a very unfortunate name
Usually it would be, but loads of names that are nothing out of the ordinary are suddenly really cool when you put them on a West Indian:

Dwayne
Devon
Curtly
Courtney
Brian
Dwight
Xavier (although that's cool anyway, just 'cos it begins with X)
Sylvester
Vasbert
Wesley

etc etc....

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Mushtaq Ahmed. His action intrigued me. So much to the extent that I mimicked it for a little while until kids at my club laughed at me. :(

It hurt that I couldn't stay true to Mushie.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jono said:
Mushtaq Ahmed. His action intrigued me. So much to the extent that I mimicked it for a little while until kids at my club laughed at me. :(

It hurt that I couldn't stay true to Mushie.
Mushtaq had a good action, but not as cool as Abdul Qadir's was...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
zinzan12 said:
Mushtaq had a good action, but not as cool as Abdul Qadir's was...
I reckon they were pretty similar; Mushie used to be nicknamed "Taiwan" appparently, because early-on he was considered a cheap knock-off version of Qadir! :D

bryce

International Regular
tooextracool said:
fleming, miraculosly managed one good series in sharjah(one that i will never forget) where he had a golden arm and kept picking up wickets despite being expensive.
i remember dougie hondo had a similar run of bowling, on that note i like all the zimabawean players for a reason not even i can work out - i just always find myself supporting them

bryce

International Regular
BoyBrumby said:
I reckon they were pretty similar; Mushie used to be nicknamed "Taiwan" appparently, because early-on he was considered a cheap knock-off version of Qadir! :D
straight from cricket guru haha