• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in New Zealand 2019

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Secret Agent Stokes might not have followed orders well at the World Cup, but at least he's got the brief now. Hopefully that drop will be as significant as dropping Watling at MM.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
"The batsman always knows when he's hit it."

Ok boomer.

They're so dug in on this false premise that even when presented with clear evidence to the contrary they just dig in further and claim he can't have hit it because he didn't know. Circular reasoning at its finest. He smashed it.
Just speaking from my own experience of playing, loads of times I didn’t know if I’d edged a caught behind or not. Surprised the commentators would never have experienced that before.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Just speaking from my own experience of playing, loads of times I didn’t know if I’d edged a caught behind or not. Surprised the commentators would never have experienced that before.
Yeah I'm guessing they just assumed that every time they didn't know that they were actually sawn off.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah I'm guessing they just assumed that every time they didn't know that they were actually sawn off.
It kind of makes sense for the pre-technology era. If you don't feel anything yourself you're not likely to trust others to give a differing correct verdict. What's hilarious is that we've had DRS in most test series for a decade now and there a genuinely hundreds of instances of batsman either wrongly reviewing when they hit it, failing to review when they didn't or just feeling the need to discuss with their batting partner over a caught behind or inside edge issue. To still bang on the myth in 2019 shows an inability to change your worldview when presented with new evidence. For that reason it's hardly surprising a lot of the very worst commentators are the ones that still use it the most.

Also from my experience in club cricket a lot of good batsmen are much more likely to think/say they've been shafted when given LBW than mediocre batsmen or bowlers are. Either their ability means they're genuinely dumbfounded by the idea they could genuinely be out through no fault of the umpire, or they do it save face. That mentality has probably festered with caught behinds in international cricket for decades.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
This feels like a New Zealand have had two successful reviews, maybe it will work for us, kind of review.

Closer than I thought actually.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
archer's body language is trash. dude is clearly not used to having to graft for his wickets.
Could see him copping a lot of flack from people for this on bad days in the future when he's less new and exciting. The kinds of people who were really worried about him disrupting the culture of the side before the World Cup would probably be more than happy to stick the boot in.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Could see him copping a lot of flack from people for this on bad days in the future when he's less new and exciting. The kinds of people who were really worried about him disrupting the culture of the side before the World Cup would probably be more than happy to stick the boot in.
huh, not sure where you’re going with this.

he’s just got poor body language, nothing wrong with criticising that. it’s a real thing that can lift/deflate your teammates.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Ross Taylor is the 54th player to pass 50+ fifty times in Tests. Virat Kohli is likely to be the next one as he is on 49.

Sanjay kumar

School Boy/Girl Captain
Can Latham and Nicholls survive the half hour to tea. Or will England be able to get 1 or 2 more wickets. This phase will be very important for both teams.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Rigor has a cry about not getting employed to cover limited overs games in the first session, then forgets Steve Smith's name in the second. :laugh:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
huh, not sure where you’re going with this.

he’s just got poor body language, nothing wrong with criticising that. it’s a real thing that can lift/deflate your teammates.
It's a real thing but can see it becoming disproportionately covered. Tbf a lot of people love dissecting that stuff regardless of the player. I think it's not helped by the fact Archer has a really relaxed action even when he's bowling well/quickly. It never really looks like he's bowling effort balls.

Reminds me a bit of Mesut Özil.