• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

remember ian bell?

Flem274*

123/5
i do

i miss him. he made so many people angry. i think he actually has a pretty good test record, but he's primarily known for being a weakling. this is harsh, because england is naturally weak so it is unfair for him to be singled out.

he might be the statistically best player to be kind of bad. in 30 years nerds will pick him in their draft teams and push his case for some obscure but higher than you'd expect spot on a batting rankings list.

i just remember the rage he inspired. it was great.

remember mal loye? and paul nixon? i do, back when english cricketers were interesting and weird. mal loye had like one shot, and paul nixon talked a lot and played weird shots. now england just have bog standard mercenaries like jofra archer.

but mostly i just want to see ian bell downhill ski a ton against australia one more time then get out hilariously next game when england are 30/3.

Flem274*

123/5
i was just remembering when everyone expected mal loyes only shot to get him killed but instead glenn mcgrath broke kps rib cage.

that was really good.

Bijed

International Regular
but he's primarily known for being a weakling.
Wasn't as unfair accusation for the first part of his career, but for the later part he was on the whole no worse than anyone in this regard imo and he'll always have the 2013 Ashes to his name. Anyway, now that we can't even kick on from good positions as a team, even Bell Mk.1 would be a big boost to our current batting lineup.

Tbh, the last few years have shown that, whatever flaws he had, were were seriously lucky to have had him for as long as we did. People just loved to hate him

Reactions: vcs

Spintolose

U19 Cricketer
Ronald (some would say strangely) went on to have a barnstorming T20 career for Birmingham Bears.

He should have got a test recall that 2016 tour to Bangladesh and India (though I suspect that Batty's OMG pick was sufficient for the selectors).

I think Ronald is still playing a part for Warwickshire - even though his eyes are supposedly gone.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Bell is interesting. Stats wise he is not dissimilar to Mark Waugh, Richie Richardson and Arvinda Desilva but was he as good as them or these guys played in a tougher era?

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
He was also elegant, so he got bashed for not knuckling down and scoring big runs like Collingwood. I remember during England's early modern-day lollapses posters like Scaly would skewer him more than the rest of the team for ending up 49* as the innings went up in flames around him.

Bijed

International Regular
He was also elegant, so he got bashed for not knuckling down and scoring big runs
Yeah, it's not specific to Bell, but being an attractive player to watch generally makes people overestimate a player's ability, whilst also leading them to criticse a higher proportion of dismissals as "soft".

Not that some of Bell's dismissals weren't a little bit rubbish...:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
His 2013 Ashes was legit great. Tonned up a few times coming in with us **** all for three against a good attack.

His time was up when he was dropped and tbh our woes since are more top order where he never really thrived.

Had an international career to be proud of I would say.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
The way his international career ended was a bit sad. I remember him saying when he was in his prime that he wanted to keep playing till late in his 30s, and when he got dropped he clearly really wanted to go back to Warwickshire and get enough runs to earn a recall. Shame it turned out he was genuinely just finished.

If even regular old Bell (i.e. not the one that averaged 89 for two years in 2010 and 2011) played today he'd comfortably be England's second best batsmen whether he was batting at 3 or batting behind Root and strengthening the middle order.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Did Ian Bell get injured? Was scoring heaps of runs at county level last season, hasn't played for Warwickshire this season. Wonder if he would've been a chance for an Ashes callup otherwise.

I do feel like his stats probably overstate his ability, but he was a fine batsman, and that 2013 Ashes was a brilliant series. Shame everything after that was poor.

Bijed

International Regular
His 2013 Ashes was legit great. Tonned up a few times coming in with us **** all for three against a good attack.

His time was up when he was dropped and tbh our woes since are more top order where he never really thrived.

Had an international career to be proud of I would say.
Yeah, in hindsight he may, even with his top-order record being worse than in the middle order, have done better than many we've tried since he was dropped. But it would have been a marginal improvement at best and it was right to get rid of him (possibly even slightly overdue tbh), even though no-one since has been more than slightly ok on the whole.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
He was good in the 2010-11 ashes win too, post 2010 his career was as up there with the best middle order players of the time I'd have thought, pre-2010 he was soft though

Spark

Global Moderator
He was a pretty solid player. Australia at least would kill to have a batsman of that calibre now, at least in the middle of his career.

Nowhere near as good to watch as often claimed though.

Spark

Global Moderator
Re: his dismissals, he definitely did seem to get out caught in the ring a fair bit, which is never ideal as a batsman. And obviously he didn't fare too well against Warne in 05, which I think helped build his negative reputation.

Bijed

International Regular
Re: his dismissals, he definitely did seem to get out caught in the ring a fair bit, which is never ideal as a batsman. And obviously he didn't fare too well against Warne in 05, which I think helped build his negative reputation.
Can't find footage of it, but his first-baller in India in 2012 was pretty hilarious. And undeniably awful as he mostly was during 05, it did hang over him reputation-wise more that it should have imo - a novice test batsman getting owned by arguably the GOAT spinner is hardly the most unforgivable black mark on your record