• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting vs Rahul Dravid

Who is the better batsman?

• Total voters

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha what's with all the dravid threads?

I'll go Chappell>Ponting>Border~Dravid>Waugh. Smith could end up better than all of them but he's the most shameless cheat of the bunch and thus deserves exclusion.

Burgey

Sp you’re ruling out proven ball tamperer (and associate of known match fixer Md Azharuddin) Sachin Tendulkar from any future comparisons. Good to know.

OverratedSanity

Ponting had the better career too IMO.

I think they both had strikingly similar career trajectories. Both emerged in 1996/97, and performed really well in some tough conditions against good attacks, hit an immense purple patch between 2002-06 (Ponting a bit better) and then from 07-11 they were both pretty meh (Ponting probably worse) apart from one last great series (Dravid in England, Ponting vs India) before being sadly atrocious in their final series.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ponting was certainly remorseless at his peak - was a relief when, towards the end of his career, he became fallible - hoping it will happen to Kohli one day

Burgey

Ponting personifies remorseless cheating for me.
We won't be copping lectures on morality from supporters of the Home of Matchfixing, thanks.

Besides, I think you'll find no Australian cricketer would ever cross the line like that.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
We won't be copping lectures on morality from supporters of the Home of Matchfixing, thanks.

Besides, I think you'll find no Australian cricketer would ever cross the line like that.
LOL. Bringing in country and nationality into it so soon? It was not a lecture on morality to *you* anyway, so I don't know what is "we". Victim complex much?

cnerd123

likes this
Waugh still the benchmark for Cheating Aussies for me. Pointing is great but not the best cheat from his nation.

It's staggering how a country so small has produced such a high percentage of cheaters tbh. Something to do with the culture clearly.

Burgey

The only culture you'd know anything about is the yoghurt you have with your breakfast every morning, ****head.

cnerd123

likes this
The only culture you'd know anything about is the yoghurt you have with your breakfast every morning, ****head.
Would still be more culture than Australia posses tbqf

Maybe something is wrong with your dier? Do Vegemite and a lack of cooking skill breed dishonesty in people?

trundler

Waugh ought to be the worst cheat. Straight up claimed dropped catches.

The #2 spot is much more interesting. Sandpaper or Underarm?

Anyway, as batsman Chappell>Ponting> Dravid>Border>Waugh IMO.

Can't say for Smith but I expect him to at least surpass Waugh. Will probably overtake Ponting in due time too.

the big bambino

International Captain
Good thing about Australia is that it shows up some mighty big complexes in some very small people. Anyways I'm curious as to why people get so upset about a bloke claiming a catch he thought he took but when bowlers and keepers appeal for lbw off an inside edge or a catch that missed the outside edge then that's "just cricket".

trundler

That's pretty different from dropping it, watching it drop, picking it up AND THEN claiming it.

Get a load of this sanctimony from the nation that produced Greg Dyer in addition to Waugh.

cnerd123

likes this
As if claiming dropped catches is the only cheating Aussies have done lol

Someone post the video of the current head coach knocking the bails off with his hand and appealing for a hitwicket plz