• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting vs Rahul Dravid

Who is the better batsman?

• Total voters

cnerd123

likes this
Why the **** would he throw it in then? Weird thing to do.
He only took on the Captaincy as a stop-gap solution IIRC. Was reluctant to do so to begin with, but much like with his Wicket-keeping, it's what the team asked of him, so he did it and gave it his all. He never really wanted to be captain and didn't enjoy it.

At the time of his resignation his own ODI form was on the wane, and it felt as though all that was keeping him in the side was his captaincy. MS Dhoni was already the number 1 ODI batsman in the world, and had been announced as captain for the inaugural World T20. So he actually timed it quite perfectly too - he paved the way for the MSD Era, and was dropped from the ODI side all-together shortly after. He then went on to experience a second wind in his Test career, and not too long after his decision India were the best in the world in all three formats.

All in all a selfless decision taken with the best interests of Indian cricket at heart. That's why the man's a legend.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Look, prior to Kohli (who is a massive **** so doesn't count anyway), every Indian batsman ever has been the most boring ****ing batsman to ever play cricket*.

Except Sehwag and VVS, who I liked.
True. Neither of them come to the crease with an aluminium bat in hand. None of them have brain fade while batting. They also do not go bonkers over bowlers when a beamer (accidental or otherwise) is bowled at them. Other than runs, boundaries and partnerships, there is nothing to look forward to tbh. If I add Kapil and Sachin in his first half to your list, that is pretty much the Indian batsmen whom I liked watching.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He only took on the Captaincy as a stop-gap solution IIRC. Was reluctant to do so to begin with, but much like with his Wicket-keeping, it's what the team asked of him, so he did it and gave it his all. He never really wanted to be captain and didn't enjoy it.

At the time of his resignation his own ODI form was on the wane, and it felt as though all that was keeping him in the side was his captaincy. MS Dhoni was already the number 1 ODI batsman in the world, and had been announced as captain for the inaugural World T20. So he actually timed it quite perfectly too - he paved the way for the MSD Era, and was dropped from the ODI side all-together shortly after. He then went on to experience a second wind in his Test career, and not too long after his decision India were the best in the world in all three formats.

All in all a selfless decision taken with the best interests of Indian cricket at heart. That's why the man's a legend.
Dravid himself has refuted this many times. But I agree with the rest. What a hero.

Burgey

What you’re saying is ***** posted an essay, the central premise of which is completely false.

Thanks for clarifying. Glad I didn’t read it.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
True. Neither of them come to the crease with an aluminium bat in hand. None of them have brain fade while batting. They also do not go bonkers over bowlers when a beamer (accidental or otherwise) is bowled at them. Other than runs, boundaries and partnerships, there is nothing to look forward to tbh. If I add Kapil and Sachin in his first half to your list, that is pretty much the Indian batsmen whom I liked watching.
On a side note, David Boon is my favorite Aussie batsman ever. That mustache ! Saw quite a bit of him in 1991-92. Was at the center of the most amusing Non Inzi run out I ever saw, till Azhar Ali matched him recently.

cnerd123

likes this
That's only towards the end of his stint when he wasn't enjoying even his batting. You were implying he didn't want the job when he took it which isn't entirely accurate.
yea fair enough, I just remember him being relieved after he was done.

Reading some old articles about his captaincy, and the general consensus at the time actually seemed to be that there would be a vacuum and India would struggle to replace him as a leader. Quite amazing actually. We were all sleeping on MSD it seems. Even Yuvi was talked about as a potential replacement for captain.

Burgey

Don’t backtrack. You were plainly wrong and should admit it then move on, or resign.

Burgey

Besides, these aren't meant to be arguments with *****, this is a prolonged mental disintegration. The downside to the strategy is the very grave risk that there's nothing to destroy.