• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DoG's Top 100 Test Bowlers Countdown Thread 100-1

Days of Grace

International Captain
Yes, Wasim was remembered more for style than substance. The style being god-like and the substance being merely outstanding.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Deadset Iron Man over here in 03/04
True. Started earning a lot of respect around this time. Headingly 2002, Adelaide 2003, Sydney 2004, then Pakistan tour were some of his outstanding performances. In the first part of his career he was largely pedestrian outside Asia except for one 6 wicket haul in SA. Turned it around in the second half. Great bowler.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Also does this mean Ashwin >Anderson?
Probably yes :) Ashwin still has a few years ahead and should end up higher convincingly. Fitness rather than skills is a concern for him I believe. Tries more variations than required on overseas tours. May be he could take a leaf out of Kumble who focussed more on accuracy and hence had more success abroad in the second half of his career.

Bolo

State Captain
Watching a bowler with ability sabotage themselves by bowling to the wrong plans consistently is one of the most frustrating things to watch. Batsmen I can forgive somewhat. Have a brainfade and it's often over as soon as it was proven wrong. But bowlers do it over and over. Everyone knows what they are doing wrong except them and maybe their captain.

Ashwin can eat a dick. I really want to see him succeed- more so than anyone from outside my home country, and I'm even counting His Roundness here. I love his batting. Probably my favourite to watch in terms of style. I like watching him bowl, and rated him highly. Seems like he really has a brain. Recent onfield evidence suggests otherwise. Pull your **** together man. You are an offie. You can't expect a wicket every three balls away. Nothing wrong with keeping it tight and pinning the bats down at times.

Well, I was talking about Ashwin generating outrage a couple of pages ago. Consider this my contribution.

Burner

International Regular
I don't think he was dropped. Didn't Kohli say that it was a forced change because of his injury?

He should have been dropped in the fourth test though. Was dire. Almost as though he chooses to be **** despite having the tools to succeed.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Top 10 matches/MoM award for players with >= 5 such awards:

PlayerMat/Awards
Wasim Akram (PAK) 6.12
K Rabada (SA) 6.40
RA Jadeja (INDIA) 6.50
VD Philander (SA) 6.88
M Muralitharan (ICC/SL) 7.00
CEL Ambrose (WI) 7.00
SPD Smith (AUS) 7.11
JH Kallis (ICC/SA) 7.22
Imran Khan (PAK) 8.00
MD Marshall (WI) 8.10

All of Wasim's MoM awards: All-round records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo
Smith the only batsman in the list (counting kallis as an all rounder)

Days of Grace

International Captain
No.17

Kagiso Rabada (South Africa) 835

Quality Points: 794
Career Points: 41

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQMsY86gx0E

Career: 2015-
Wickets: 151
Gold Performances: 4
7/112 vs. England at Centurion 2016 (16.86)
6/32 vs. England at Centurion 2016 (16.03)
6/55 vs. Sri Lanka at Cape Town 2017 (15.88)
6/54 vs. Australia at Port Elizabeth 2018 (16.16)
Silver Performances: 4
Bronze Performances: 3

Overall Average/Strike-Rate/Points Per Innings: 20.30 (21.72) 42.09 (39.32) 5.41 (rank 4)
50 Innings Peak Average/Strike-Rate/Points Per Innings (2016-2018): 18.72 39.05 6.18 (rank 9)
Non-Home Average/Strike-Rate/Points Per Innings: 27.10 58.53 3.54 (rank 66)
Quality Opposition Average/Strike-Rate/Points Per Innings: 21.44 43.78 5.27 (rank 10)

Kigiso Rabada is arguably the biggest surprise of this entire top 100 countdown. But looking at his top 10 rankings in overall, peak, and quality oppositon, one can understand why he is rated so highly at this early stage of his career. One self-criticism I have of the system is that it ranks too highly players who have stellar beginnings to their career (and there are many throughout the history of the game). On the other hand, Rabada has already played 30 test matches and taken over 150 wickets. Where should the cut-off be for receiving maximum quality points? At the present, it is 50 innings for overall and peak, 25 for non-home and quality opposition. Perhaps it should be 100 innings, but this would be unfair to bowlers from yesteryear such as Barnes and O'Reilly. Penalties shouldn't be applied for career length, since a bowler who plays one match in 2001 then comes back to play another in 2010 gets full value on their career points.

In the end, Rabada will either prove his high ranking in the next few years or he will drop out of the top 20. But there can be no doubt that he is one of the most talented pacemen of the 21st century, part of a new generation that has wrestled back some of the limelight for the bowlers after the batsmen-dominated noughties.

Last edited:

Borges

International Regular
Where should the cut-off be for receiving maximum quality points? At the present, it is 50 innings for overall and peak, 25 for non-home and quality opposition. Perhaps it should be 100 innings, but this would be unfair to bowlers from yesteryear such as Barnes and O'Reilly. Penalties shouldn't be applied for career length, since a bowler who plays one match in 2001 then comes back to play another in 2010 gets full value on their career points.
Perhaps a sliding cut off based on the frequency of games in an era; say, starting at 50 innings for the old timers, and going up to 100 innings for the present.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm absolutely stunned, didn't think Rabada would have been around anywhere near long enough to feature. No doubting his quality but I certainly didn't see this coming.

bagapath

International Captain
Akram was the best bowler of 90s
Akram, Warne, Waqar, Donald, Murali, McGrath, Walsh, Kumble and S. Pollock were the top bowlers of the 90s who could be ranked from No. 2 to No. 10 in that order. The No.1 bowler of the 90s was Curtley Ambrose.

Last edited: