• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka's best batsman in International cricket?

Sri Lanka's best bat

• Thilakaratne Dilshan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Marvan Athapattu

• Thilan Samaraweera

• Total voters

YorksLanka

International Debutant
I'm shocked by how highly people seem to rate Dilshan. I can sort of understand why Sanga is overrated but I can't quite understand the Dilshan fans. Are recent events just too fresh in everyone's minds or something?
For me, it was his attitude as much as his run scoring ability in ODI's ( which has been mentioned). He was a street fighter who never took a backward step and was a world class fielder to boot..

cnerd123

likes this
Plus Dilshan featured in the HKT20 Blitz. Always a big landmark in any Sri Lankan batsman's career, as Sangakkara would attest to.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Why Ranatunga over Sanga?
difficult era, better bowlers, worse pitches, worse bats, good odi record, higher longevity, also more aggressiveness (given the era)

They are definitely comparable. Sanga is way overrated as an ODI batsman. He had a great end to his ODI career (the 2015 WC etc.). But for a long period, he was just a decent ODI batsman.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Was really overrated on here by some. Best player of swing bowling in the world apparently.
I somehow get the feeling that he underrates himself. He's a great player of swing and spin. But he's too lazy and injury-prone imo. He has no urge to become best in the world or something.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I somehow get the feeling that he underrates himself. He's a great player of swing and spin. But he's too lazy and injury-prone imo. He has no urge to become best in the world or something.
Have you seen anything in interviews or anecdotes to suggest that? I'm more inclined to believe it's the captaincy and having to deal with the SLC that's weighing him down.

Himannv

International Coach
I feel Mathews is good at playing pace, but he's not necessarily that good at playing swing bowling. He's ok, but that's it.

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
Was really overrated on here by some. Best player of swing bowling in the world apparently.
Angelo Mathews had a brilliant first test series tour to England,that had a mat winnning 160 odd in Headingly,and a another 100 in the other.He was on song when he was initially burdened with the captaincy role.But start fading away once Sanga retired.

Mathews fyi hasn't scored a 100 since the 2015 India series.At some point of his career he had an average that was second only to Bradman as a captain.Consistent injuries has somewhat dampened his career.He had played most International matches combined since 2014 or so to some point in 2017, despite missing plenty of series due to injuries.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm shocked by how highly people seem to rate Dilshan. I can sort of understand why Sanga is overrated but I can't quite understand the Dilshan fans. Are recent events just too fresh in everyone's minds or something?
Just check his stats as an ODI opener and you will get an idea.

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
I feel Mathews is good at playing pace, but he's not necessarily that good at playing swing bowling. He's ok, but that's it.
You can add playing spin to that as well..he's fine in LOI's but as a Test bat outside of his maybe 2-3 year period when he was captain and SL won in Eng he's been quite average.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, agreed. I think the only thing Ganguly has over Dilshan is his superb record in tournaments, but it's not like Dilshan has been poor in those either.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
No doubt Amla is very good. We will wait till he finishes up like Dilshan to comment on the career.