• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2017/18

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah although I'm still not too keen on asking a trio of de Boorder, Craig and Nathan Smith to comprise my engine room for me on slow Kakanui pitches though, trying to get a good burn going from say overs 50-100. I can see an eccentricity to Kitchen at 7 that would get a chess notation of '!?' out of me, rather than a '??'.

If Walter's as good a coach as some of the South African players claim, we can expect he won't be repeating Otago's dud recruiting of Nicol and Hicks, which they did without him. I know Conway tended to thrive the most in Gauteng when he was on a slow and dry surface. Maybe there's some other forgotten SA schoolboy star that only Walter would know is interested in a NZ career.
Yeah...I should probably launch into my regular Rob Nicol won't score runs diatribe, which for the last 2-3 seasons has coincided with him scoring runs - albeit generally pretty awful to watch ones. It's comforting to see his dismissal videos remain entertaining as hell. And Hicksy, you can never go wrong recruiting a Howick player but they might've been better coaxing Greg Morgan out of his new landscaping career than Shawn at this stage. Hope he kicks on but at the moment he's not there with bat or ball.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Nice try Ghost, but unfortunately Ryder's refusing to play for your XI now, because you overlooked a great mate of his, one who's also been trying his best to make NZC's talent pathways look a bit malnourished, authoritarian and stink.

Averaging 80 with the bat and 25 with the ball -

Yeah I noticed Dougeh's dream of turning into an all-rounder is finally taking shape. The new James Franklin.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Ben Stokes confirmed as in the Canty side for Sunday.
Much needed sign up for Canterbury but a short term fix only. They have really struggled with the bat this year. Strangely Pollard isn't featuring in every game I see. He didn't play at the Basin vs the Firebirds as well. Ken McClure is their best bat, shame he got into what he did.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Phillips and Seifert continuing their sizzling form. Good to see O'Donnell dominating against Tasmania too.

SeamUp

International Coach
I see Nofal and Conway got their Wellington chance : 1st Match, The Ford Trophy at Whangarei, Dec 3 2017 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo

Ryan Rickelton recently getting a shot at franchise cricket here and getting a few people to stand-up. Remember he got into Wellington 2nd Xi very quickly but then it just ended. This was in a Super Sport report recently.

The explosion was provided by 21-year-old Ryan Rickelton who belted 41 from only 23 balls with two fours and three maximums having been given a chance in the starting XI at No 3.

The left hander represented SA Schools four years ago but has spent a couple of seasons playing club cricket in Wellington, New Zealand, where he was selected for the Wellington Firebirds and also attracted the attention of NZC selectors with a view to nationalisation.

Rickelton displayed both power and creativity

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Solid collapse from Otago. 175/0 chasing 222, then 195/7, before crawling over the line.

Huge number of 30-60 scores this round. Watling and Rutherford centuries the only standouts.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It was arguably remarkable in just how dire itwas. If he'd scored a quick 25 and took one or two wickets I'd have considered that unremarkable, but 2 (7) and pumped for no wickets is newsworthy in its abject failure.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Ben Sears the kid that played under 19s for NZ over a year ago I hear is settling down in UK for Middlesex.
Well that sucks.

Also upsets my dream bowling attack
Boult
Sears
Wheeler

which is picked on the basis that it sounds faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Nofal has been around the club scene in Wellington for over couple of years or three. Certainly deserves a shot as a contacted player. Not so sure about Conway. He has spent couple of months and gets a call up. Only in Wellington this is possible. Meanwhile there are equally good players locally but they just don't get a look in no matter what.

Travis Muller was called up by firebirds and by all accounts he was average. He may be good in south African conditions but he needs to first get used to bowling in our conditions. He had spent two months in club cricket and he got a call up. Meanwhile loads of good up and coming bowlers are thriving at club and A side but can't even get close enough. Being a local and ardent follower of firebirds I'm just disappointed. Ben Sears the kid that played under 19s for NZ over a year ago I hear is settling down in UK for Middlesex. I thought things would change with Edgar being the coach but it's gone worse. He's recruiting like IPL sides. The Wellington A side is also full of blokes that have appeared this season, go figure. At least they could use the A side to encourage local players.

I just lost the entire post for some reason hence reposting.

SeamUp

International Coach
Nofal has been around the club scene in Wellington for over couple of years or three. Certainly deserves a shot as a contacted player. Not so sure about Conway. He has spent couple of months and gets a call up. Only in Wellington this is possible. Meanwhile there are equally good players locally but they just don't get a look in no matter what.

Travis Muller was called up by firebirds and by all accounts he was average. He may be good in south African conditions but he needs to first get used to bowling in our conditions. He had spent two months in club cricket and he got a call up. Meanwhile loads of good up and coming bowlers are thriving at club and A side but can't even get close enough. Being a local and ardent follower of firebirds I'm just disappointed. Ben Sears the kid that played under 19s for NZ over a year ago I hear is settling down in UK for Middlesex. I thought things would change with Edgar being the coach but it's gone worse. He's recruiting like IPL sides. The Wellington A side is also full of blokes that have appeared this season, go figure. At least they could use the A side to encourage local players.

I just lost the entire post for some reason hence reposting.
That's a bit disappointing if you losing good local talent yourselves. I always thought a cricket board/union would go this route if they struggling to produced any players of genuine interest higher up.

The thing is - no one would have expected van Wyk, Elliott or Wagner to produce like they did for the Black Caps after they were disposed of as surplus to requirements.

Interesting if any of this lot can do the same. I feel Conway in the right mental frame and people backing him it may well work for him there. Muller is a funny one. More of a swing bowler with the red ball and I am sure you have loads of those there.