• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Finding Patrick Patterson

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Poor chap. Mental illness cuts across all social divides.

It sounds as if he has some manner of support network in place at least. Hope there's a happy ending.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dear old Balfour - played briefly for Lancashire - was very popular with the supporters, but looked like a bit of a lost soul even then

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
He gets a few mentions by Fowler in "Fox on the Run" (from 1985, early in his career):

- Patto was very quick today and got a career best... He joined us last year on Clive's recommendation. Typically he made his debut in a very important match - against Middlesex in the NatWest quarter-final at Lord's - and he ended up getting smashed all over. That wasn't his fault - he had to bowl the last overs, and at this stage in his career he just hasn't the control... I felt sorry for him then... this was his second championship match of the season and he really bowled quickly. He looked as if he wanted to knock their heads off.

- Patto was very sharp and took a career best. He looks promising and is quite quick... he [Ian Folley] left Patto, who is not the world's greatest batsman, to fend for three or four balls.

- After that early season blast, Patto hasn't really done it. Thinking back, he was tremendous against the Yorkies. He really ran in and was quick. But apart from that game and against Essex, he hasn't put it in... Patto seems to think he is a West Indies fast bowler. But he hasn't proved that yet. He certainly could be. I don't know what it is - whether we don't treat people right or whether he is just naturally lazy, but it seems he doesn't want to work at it... During one match I said to him "Come on, Patto, put your back into it for four overs, then you're off." And he said "It's too cold today." I thought at the time that didn't sound like somebody who is trying to prove something, more like somebody coasting through.

I think he was a bit unfortunate with Lancs in that he was largely replaced by Wasim Akram from 1988 just as he was becoming more consistent.

DriveClub

International Regular
Guess his is an unfulfilled career due to his issues but cricket isn't most important thing he has missed out on in life

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Such a shame, he would have had more help these days earlier and may have had a better time of it. Was a frightening sight back in the day, boy he was good.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Frighteningly quick, wasn't he? Had that massive rock back in his delivery stride where at one point the sole of his front shoe was almost in the batman's eyeline. Sad to hear he's gone through all this.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Patterson debuted before Ambrose. I always thought he debuted after Curtly.

Patterson's first test was with Marshall, Patterson, Holding and Garner. That's insane stuff.

I remember Ambrose, Marshall, Patteron and Walsh playing together I think. Cannot imagine what it must be like facing that sort of attack.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Just on that, Graham Gooch was a remarkable bat against pace. For a career that went from the mid 70s to the mid 90s, to average 40 plus against the WIs is a very impressive feat.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Patterson debuted before Ambrose. I always thought he debuted after Curtly.

Patterson's first test was with Marshall, Patterson, Holding and Garner. That's insane stuff.

I remember Ambrose, Marshall, Patteron and Walsh playing together I think. Cannot imagine what it must be like facing that sort of attack.
Was that the 1986 series against England? We'd never heard of him before then, but we knew all about him after he'd battered our guys on a horrid track in Jamaica.

DriveClub

International Regular
Interesting to hear that his initial years in england and australia before playing international cricket living in the streets while playing domestic cricket shaped his later years and was a reason for his illness. Homelessness is a real tragedy and even worse he had to go through it in foreign countries.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Oh.. but how did Wasim Akram get diggings? He was not that well known back then either, was he? Anyways, just a sad sad story. :(