• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sharjeel, Irfan suspended from PSL for alleged spot fixing

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Didn't see a thread on this yet.

Dubai: Things are going from bad to worse for Pakistan cricket as Mohammad Irfan became the third Pakistani cricketer after Sharjeel Khan and Khalid Latif to be sent home for an alleged involvement in spot-fixing during Pakistan Super League.

The left-arm pacer won’t be allowed to take any part in the second edition of the PSL. It is reported that Irfan was sent back to Pakistan after his mobile was seized by the anti-corruption unit who suspected of his involvement in match-fixing. Sharjeel and Khalid, who were Irfan’s teammates at the Islamabad United, also faced the same treatment.

According to a report in The Express Tribune, six players are reportedly involved in fixing and players from Lahore Qalandars and Quetta Gladiators are also being investigated.

After Sharjeel and Khalid’s suspensions, Pakistan Super League chairman Najam Sethi, in a media release, had said: "It would not be appropriate to comment on the specifics of the case, however this investigation is a clear demonstration of our determination to drive corruption out of our sport.

"We will not tolerate any form of corrupt activity and as this investigation proceeds we will not hesitate to take further decisive action as appropriate," he had added.
Mohammad Irfan suspended from PSL for alleged involvement in spot-fixing

OverratedSanity

It's all a bit up in the air so far. Some reports seem to indicate they failed to report an approach by a bookie which is less serious.

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
There's a picture flowing around Twitter which is a selfie of Sharjeel and Latif with a random guy in a restaurant. Might be related to this. From reports, it seems both players failed to report an approach from a bookie. Looks like the PCB are taking no chances so suspended both players.

Unfortunately, these T20 leagues will attract these kind of activities. The matches are meaningless in the wider sense of cricketing importance, so it would be much easier to exploit greed.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
It's a good sign that the PCB picked this up and the information wasn't buried/ignored like it has in Pakistan and other countries in the past. You never want the sport to be corrupt but if it is, you want people trying to catch the bad guys, and PCB tbf seem to be intent on doing that.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would this have happened if appropriate punishments had been handed out in 2010?
Not sure the word 'appropriate' adds anything to an interesting question, but I know what you mean - if the three had all been banned for life, which if I recall correctly is what you thought was appropriate, it wouldn't have made any difference - in my experience those committing criminal offences never take a blind bit of notice of deterrent sentences, for the simple reason that they never expect to get caught

Burner

International Regular
Sharjeel in particular seems very thick to me. And I don't mean his physique either which is pretty thick as well I guess but the guy seems genuinely stupid. He was reportedly crying on the flight back home. Sorry situation.

Burgey

Not sure the word 'appropriate' adds anything to an interesting question, but I know what you mean - if the three had all been banned for life, which if I recall correctly is what you thought was appropriate, it wouldn't have made any difference - in my experience those committing criminal offences never take a blind bit of notice of deterrent sentences, for the simple reason that they never expect to get caught
Indeed.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Sharjeel in particular seems very thick to me. And I don't mean his physique either which is pretty thick as well I guess but the guy seems genuinely stupid. He was reportedly crying on the flight back home. Sorry situation.
Some months ago he reported being blackmailed or something. Something definitely going on with this guy

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You guys do not understand how the fixing mafia works. You have to be with them or else they will wear you down. Perks range from permanent spot in the squad, to endorsement deals, to honey-traps of the chicks you fancy (mostly famous actresses), to kickbacks in various forms to family members. Its not just being gullible, its also about the pressure of having to remain on the good books of the men who matter. This is one reason I am very happy the BCCI basically banned India from playing in the UAE. I feel bad for some of the younger Pak players here. This was something that was always going to happen in a league of this sort given where it is happening.

indiaholic

International Captain
Then what works as a deterrent? The mere fact that people are getting caught? That doesn't seem to be working either.