• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sharjeel, Irfan suspended from PSL for alleged spot fixing

indiaholic

International Captain
Money... the players target don`t get enough from their boards compared to the Eng, Aus and Indian top players. See recent issues in SA domestic. Attitude also, but its about money.
Don't think that is true. India has had its fair share of match fixers. Think it is a cultural problem as much as anything.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't think that is true. India has had its fair share of match fixers. Think it is a cultural problem as much as anything.
India is the root of match fixing ffs. Just legalise betting there and so much of it will go away

Just have an Indian equivalent of the TAB and all the illegal operators go out of business and the government makes a **** load of dough in one fell swoop.

Last edited:

indiaholic

International Captain
Will it? I mean we should legalise betting because it funds some really terrible people but the incentive to fix matches will still be there?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah but there is not exactly equal disparity in India pay for cricketers... don`t get me wrong, I think that attitude and feelings of "well other people do it so it must be alright" is there, but it is amazing how much easier it is to say no when you feel secure in your financial situation particularly if you have a family. Of course their are always the people who do not have enough..

India is the root of match fixing ffs. Just legalise betting there and so much of it will go away

Just have an Indian equivalent of the TAB and all the illegal operators go out of business and the government makes a **** load of dough in one fell swoop.
How does that fix match fixing? Will they stop trying to control circumstances in their favour?

Burgey

Nah because if you can ring a legit, legal agency or get online to them or go to an outlet, there's no market for illegal bookies. Like the TAB basically put SP bookies out of action here once they got up and running, even moreso once phone TAB started.

One of the great memories of my childhood was walking into my grandfather's lounge room on the morning he got his Order of Australia in the Queens Birthday Honours for "Services to sport and the community", only to hear him on the phone saying "Tell Sid that Ted said twenty each way on Randwick race four, number seven".

Pillar of the community.

Burgey

I guess what I mean is the ability to match fix comes from the amount of illegal dough being spent by punters. If those punters can bet legally then why would they go to a bookie, who in turn is out of business because there's no resources for them to alter the result, or a reason to because there's no turn over for them on the game.

indiaholic

International Captain
But match fixing in English football still happened? Remember reading though that Asian betting syndicates were involved so yeah..

Burgey

Sure but it's like anything to do with sport, or politics. Follow the money. The largest illegal betting market on cricket is in the subcontinent, India in particular. If you legalise it you remove the bookmaker's power straight away. I can't believe the government there is turning its back on so much potential revenue.

indiaholic

International Captain
It is the kind of issue where the government that legalizes it will face a huge backlash from the guardians of public morality.. The reason why prohibition is still a thing in Gujarat.

Burgey

We'll thats a matter for them I suppose. I don't purport to be up to date on the social and moral mores of Indian politics but it seems to me (albeit from only anecdotal evidence) that illegal gambling is rampant there and they could stamp it out with the stroke of a pen while getting a slice of the action themselves.

Burgey

But then again I'm Australian and we bet on two flies crawling up a wall. Not denying here's a lot of social cost to gambling itself. Though it's not as pernicious as gambhiring :p

indiaholic

International Captain
Oh yeah but public hypocrisy is just a way of life.. True for everything from gambling, drinking to eating non vegetarian food.

Shri

Mr. Glass
So in the Sharjeel story it said a "former opener" of pakistan called him up and told him to meet a guy at a fast food restaurant. Big Nas fits the bill, now that he's suspended. I have to commend the PCB for running a good spy operation. To me, Big Nas calling Sharjeel to a fast food restaurant seems like the most mundane phone call ever.
Two fat ****s meeting up and fixing **** in a fast food restaurant.:laugh: