View Poll Results: Do Bangers still deserve their Minnows tag?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - they still deserve the minnows tag

8 22.22%
  • No - they no longer do

20 55.56%
  • I'm on the fence, let me get back to you

8 22.22%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Do Bangladesh still deserve their minnows tag?

They've been in a good position many a times recently but then have also the plot in ludicrous fashion as well. I find that to be more disappointing than a team that just are not good enough and keep losing. Maybe they aren't mentally good enough anyway.

They are in a reasonably good position vs India now and I've seen enough of them to say that ****ing that up is going to be the first thing in their agenda come tomorrow morning.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    "Reasonably good"

wat
    Shri and mr_mister like this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    They have very talented players. They just need to get a better attitude towards cricket and better mental conditioning and stop treating everything so personally. Get Tamim in as captain, get Imrul v2 back in the side, make Mush**** their #4/#5 batsman and find a good keeper, let Mahmadullah be the #3, bat Shakib at 4 so that he can set the game up and bat more time, find a decent leg spinner and they will be extremely competitive everywhere and a threat to any side in their home conditions.

Imrul
    Tamim (c)
    Mahmadullah
    Shakib
    Mushfiqur
    Mominul
    Keeper (wk)
    Mehedi
    3 seamers away from SC / 2 seamers and a leggie hopefully in the SC

Would be a very good side with the right attitude.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Cricketer Of The Year AndyZaltzHair's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    They have very talented players. They just need to get a better attitude towards cricket and better mental conditioning and stop treating everything so personally. Get Tamim in as captain, get Imrul v2 back in the side, make Mush**** their #4/#5 batsman and find a good keeper, let Mahmadullah be the #3, bat Shakib at 4 so that he can set the game up and bat more time, find a decent leg spinner and they will be extremely competitive everywhere and a threat to any side in their home conditions.

Imrul
    Tamim (c)
    Mahmadullah
    Shakib
    Mushfiqur
    Mominul
    Keeper (wk)
    Mehedi
    3 seamers away from SC / 2 seamers and a leggie hopefully in the SC

Would be a very good side with the right attitude.
    Agree with all except Mullah. He looks to be mentally drained out.

Still a long way to go for BD. So I dont see a problem with minnow tag for now.
    Originally Spoken by Brendon McCullum
    You have got to earn the right to be aggressive.
    Supporting XI
    Soumya Sarkar, Liton Das, Pinak Ghosh, Mominul Haque, Mosaddek Hossain, Nazmul Hossain, Shabbir, Nurul Hasan, Saifuddin, Mehedi Miraz, Abu Hider, Taskin Ahmed, Mustafizur Rahman

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Mullah hasn't been great at 4, so I'm not sure you want to bump him up to 3. There's even talk of dropping him down where he used to play a better role. I'd probably just take Sarkar over him for now and bat Sarkar 3 with Kayes/Tamim opening.
    Shri likes this.

U19 12th Man
    Minnow is a subjective term so invariably this argument will be about semantics. Are they a weaker top tier nation? Yes. Are they a minnow like the Netherlands are a minnow? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Young View Post
    Minnow is a subjective term so invariably this argument will be about semantics. Are they a weaker top tier nation? Yes. Are they a minnow like the Netherlands are a minnow? No.
    Hey, the Netherlands are no minnows, they've beaten England a couple of... wait, never mind

I agree with you, though. To me, Bangladesh are a bad test team (was hoping they'd go on and be much better after they beat us, but we'll possibly be the only top-seven team to lose to them for some time. Never mind, it's not really that bad), but they're not minnows anymore. The minnow Bangladesh of old could feasibly have lost the current test already.
    vcs likes this.
    Want every conversation to be about cricket? Download your copy of The Cricketer's Lexicon now! It's a constantly evolving project, so contribute here!

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    News is they're rubbish. Still minnows.
    What about now Burgey?
    honestbharani likes this.
    Check out The Cricket Web Podcast!

The Cricket Web Podcast #33 - I Just Wanna Talk About Vernon Philander

iTunes
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If only Kane Richardson had played some HK domestic cricket before his ODI debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    The Hong Kong Blitz is better than the IPL.

I think that a minnow is clearly a "substandard" side. Bangladesh aren't good, but they aren't completely substandard.
    5-0

Want to be the online Don Bradman or Ian Salisbury?
    Then join CW Cricket today. It's what all the cool kids desire.

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy 1988-2014

Bangladesh haven't been true minnows since mid-2015. I place them slightly above WI in Tests right now.
    zorax and vcs like this.
    cricrate - follow twitter and facebook for updates

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    What about now Burgey?
    What about it? Nah, still minnows. Though good on them for having a win. More than Australia did in SL last year.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

International Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    Depends how you define "minnows". For me, the term implies a no-hoper, an easy-beat. They may have an odd test win but it is extremely rare. Bangladesh have ceased to be minnows based on this definition. And they have a rating above 400 in my team ratings system, so they are no longer minnows :-)

EDIT: having said that, they had better win their matches at home to Pakistan because it is more than likely they will lose away to Australia and South Africa. I can see their rating slipping below 400 again after those tours.
    Last edited by Days of Grace; 20-03-2017 at 04:50 PM.
    Greatest Ever Test XI: JB Hobbs, L Hutton, DG Bradman (c), IVA Richards, BC Lara, GS Sobers, AC Gilchrist (wk), Imran Khan, RJ Hadlee, MD Marshall, SK Warne 12th man: M Muralitharan

Favorite XI: WG Grace, VT Trumper, IVA Richards, DCS Compton, FMM Worrell (c), AC Gilchrist (wk), CL Cairns, SK Warne, FS Trueman, SE Bond, T Richardson 12th man: H Larwood

"Neither of them will have an international cricket career past 2016."
    Blocky on Martin Guptill and Ish Sodhi. 20/11/2014.

International Coach
    Yep not minnows anymore. They will get slapped in Eng/Aus/SA/NZ but they will compete in Asia. Eng/NZ get slapped in Asia, and Aus have up until this series so clearly being bad in one style of cricket can't term you a minnow.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by 91Jmay View Post
    Yep not minnows anymore. They will get slapped in Eng/Aus/SA/NZ but they will compete in Asia. Eng/NZ get slapped in Asia, and Aus have up until this series so clearly being bad in one style of cricket can't term you a minnow.
    TBF I think we've only lost to India when in Asia in the last 5 years? Drawn against Pakistan/SL/Bangers in our most recent tours. Definitely think we get slapped more in Aus/SA than Asia.
    Direbirds FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT

Cricket Web Staff Member Black_Warrior's Avatar
    ^ True. I think a BD-NZ series in BD now would be exciting. I remember a tight game a few years ago when Vettori saved the day. Those who are saying BD are not minnows anymore now didn't get the memo. They haven't been minnows for a while now.
    Cricket's moral worldview:

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information