• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A great result against the 'Win Toss, win the Test match" theory

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Probably more a great result for the "The better team usually wins test matches" theory imo.
That's right.

I'm so hot on this, coaches are using the tosses as excuses for underprepared and underskilled sides. Plus there was a ridiculous run of tosses won by the home side in the sub-continent, which was often missed or ignored as part of the conversation.

listento_me

U19 Captain
Probably more a great result for the "The better team usually wins test matches" theory imo.
Yeah this.

Pakistan got NZ out for 270 odd which is WAY below par for test matches and yet they never capitilised because their batting itself was embarrassing.

the same can go for England.

Btw, to the guy who started this thread, just look at recent test matches in India, the majority of times team bats first, they win. Like a huge majority this season.

A theory does not have to state something to be true ALL THE TIME for that theory to be correct.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Yeah this.

Pakistan got NZ out for 270 odd which is WAY below par for test matches and yet they never capitilised because their batting itself was embarrassing.

the same can go for England.

Btw, to the guy who started this thread, just look at recent test matches in India, the majority of times team bats first, they win. Like a huge majority this season.

A theory does not have to state something to be true ALL THE TIME for that theory to be correct.
Congratulations. You missed his ****ing point completely.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

:laugh:

Could it be that happened because Kohli <gasp> won all those tosses.

No. It couldn't possibly be that.

Pothas

India are really good at home, why is there so much talk about this? Has anyone actually claimed otherwise?

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
For those who couldn't be bothered opening this up and reading it - what it shows is that, since 2006, India have lost the toss 25 times whilst playing at home. They have won 17 of those games, drew 6 of them, and lost only 1.

Its really quite incredible. You're actually better off losing the toss when you tour India!
Another interesting factor here is that although SL is also considered a spin heaven or difficult to beat at home it doesn't appear to matter what happens to the toss there.

I think the extension to this is that remarkable stat of openers from both teams struggling in SL for a similar period mentioned in this stat.

Shady Slim

International Coach
think india's a flat better team than england on these pitches regardless of the toss

mind you the pitches they've served have been quite good pitches, they're just a lot better on them

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
India are really good at home, why is there so much talk about this? Has anyone actually claimed otherwise?
In previous recent tours to India there has been a fixation amongst some of the away supporters over the toss and India keep winning it. This has spilled over by some of those fans into this tour, even though the England fans (perhaps except for our North Eastern contingent) have generally been accepting that India have won because they've been the better side.

listento_me

U19 Captain
In previous recent tours to India there has been a fixation amongst some of the away supporters over the toss and India keep winning it. This has spilled over by some of those fans into this tour, even though the England fans (perhaps except for our North Eastern contingent) have generally been accepting that India have won because they've been the better side.
I don't think anyone has claimed that India won only due to the toss but there is no doubt how many games India has won this season while winning the toss first AND batting first. That's the key here, getting to bat first. It's just a statement of fact. It's not to put India down. We all know how good India are on home pitches and on Asian pitches in general. They've built both their test no. 1 rankings on home test after home test. It's not surprising.

But the fact still remain, especially this season.

listento_me

U19 Captain
In fact, of the 33 tests this century that India have won the toss and batted first, they have won or drawn 27 of those tests. Some of you don't think that's an advantage to India winning the test and batting first? They've only lost 6...6 man.

There's a decided advantage for India and their batting line up which is very good on flat pitches. Nothing to get worked up over, I assume it's a similar case throughout Asia but we've seen India only winning 1 test this decade in England/South Africa/Australia on pitches with a bit more bounce (Australian pitches are pretty dry and dead these days) and certainly more swing.

That's just the way of it.

harsh.ag

In fact, of the 33 tests this century that India have won the toss and batted first, they have won or drawn 27 of those tests. Some of you don't think that's an advantage to India winning the test and batting first? They've only lost 6...6 man.

There's a decided advantage for India and their batting line up which is very good on flat pitches. Nothing to get worked up over, I assume it's a similar case throughout Asia but we've seen India only winning 1 test this decade in England/South Africa/Australia on pitches with a bit more bounce (Australian pitches are pretty dry and dead these days) and certainly more swing.

That's just the way of it.
Of the 40 tests this century that away teams in India have won the toss and batted first, they have won 4 while India have won 24 and drawn 12, so won/drawn 36.

India are just a better team in India. Has nothing to do with winning the toss and batting first.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't think anyone has claimed that India won only due to the toss but there is no doubt how many games India has won this season while winning the toss first AND batting first. That's the key here, getting to bat first. It's just a statement of fact. It's not to put India down. We all know how good India are on home pitches and on Asian pitches in general. They've built both their test no. 1 rankings on home test after home test. It's not surprising.

But the fact still remain, especially this season.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Of the 40 tests this century that away teams in India have won the toss and batted first, they have won 4 while India have won 24 and drawn 12, so won/drawn 36.

India are just a better team in India. Has nothing to do with winning the toss and batting first.
So we actually do better when the opposition win the toss and bat first.

@listento_me : Going by your theory that batting first gives such a huge advantage, imagine how good India must be to consistently overcome that handicap.