• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia vs New Zealand ODIs 2016/17

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
I hate it when NZ cricket keep going back to the same old players who have been tried before and have fallen short. Give some new blood a crack.

Xena

Cricket Spectator
Yeah, this is what it comes down to.

Either Stoinis says "I'm going for a boundary so stay put" or "I need to stay on strike so back up". It looked a lot to me like they didn't chat about it, and Stoinis went for the big shot, with Haze left stranded.
Martin Crowe said that when you bat with the tail enders you should play as you usually would. If they had done this and not left all the batting to Stoinis then perhaps Hazelwood wouldn't have been run out and they would have won.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Martin Crowe said that when you bat with the tail enders you should play as you usually would. If they had done this and not left all the batting to Stoinis then perhaps Hazelwood wouldn't have been run out and they would have won.
Or perhaps Haze gets out straight away before the massive partnership even got going.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Come to think of it, they might as well open with Blundell. He's already in the squad and he's been opening in domestic limited overs stuff.
Blundell has been opening in Domestics for about 5 minutes. I don't recall him doing anything much in that role either.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I think Brownlie is the logical choice. Since he has moved to opener about 3 years ago he has turned his modest List A record into a good one.

At international level, IIRC, he opened pre-WC in UAE and was pretty good, but didn't turn his 30s and 40s into 80s or 100s.

Worker is unlucky though I agree. He took his chances when he played for blackcaps but that hasn't been rewarded by the selectors yet.

It's good to actually have decent options though, rather than swapping between Spearman, Horne, Nevin etc (although the odi game is a lot easier since those days to be a little bit fair to them)

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
It's case by case. Stoinis almost did it perfectly, and certainly watching I thought he was about to. It was just a dose of bad-ish luck with the run out, plus Starc sold him down the river for an extra partner.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yup, and I think attitudes have changed a bit to how to construct the chase in that situation; Dhoni being the man who provided a pretty big influence on that in shorter form cricket.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah he's been sent home. I'm no fan of Wade's but it would be so disappointing to be given the chance to captain your country in any format, only to be denied through a last minute injury.

Ultimate irony would be if Maxwell got the gig.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No one knows the true state of NZ weather until someone posts a picture from a traffic camera on a highway adjacent to the ground.