• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst incident you've seen while playing

Marius

International Debutant
So, on Saturday I was playing in a club game in Easterns's Third League in South Africa.

We bowled first and they got off to a little bit of a flyer, although their one opener was playing baseball more than cricket. The other opener was a bit more orthodox and played some nice drives. He started complaining about being short of breath and of having a headache. We could see he was taking strain and there were certainly no quick singles being taken.

His partner nicked off in about the eighth over and their number three was bowled an over or two later. Their number four came out and his second ball he bunted into the covers. He started taking a run and the opener at the non-strikers' end took two steps and then collapsed, and fell head first into the pitch. Quite similar to how Phil Hughes collapsed when he got hit in that tragic incident.

We walked up to him to see if he was OK, he mumbled something and was then quiet. Someone rolled him onto his back and he was frothing at the mouth. He was unresponsive and just lay there. Luckily a couple of guys in our side had some first aid training and put him into the recovery position.

He then started breathing very heavily, and then stopped breathing completely and his face started going purple. Somebody had already phoned the paramedics but they were taking too long so one of his teammates decided to take him to hospital in his car. Three of the guys from our team went with trying to resuscitate him.

Turns out the fellow had a pulmonary embolism on the field and last I heard is in a serious but stable condition, and is in an induced coma at the hospital.

If some of our guys hadn't know what to do when he collapsed I think he would have been dead now.

I think that's the closest I've come to seeing someone dying on a cricket field.

How about you guys? What's the worst incident you've seen while playing or closest to seeing someone dying or suffering a serious injury?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Scary story that, a pulmonary embolism is a blockage in a lung artery, so could have been fatal at worst.

Worst I've seen on a cricket field was a keeper having an epelictic fit.

TheJediBrah

Good lesson to learn for everyone else, as soon as you feel the symptoms call emergency. Not sure if the guy had other medical history but he'd have had pretty significant shortness of breath beforehand if a PE did that to him that quickly.

Call ambulance straight away. Don't hesitate.

flibbertyjibber

Scary.

Our opening bowler was epileptic and used to have a few turns a season when he either hadn't taken his medication or bowled too many overs. His wife came out and started kicking him as he was on the floor once telling him off for not taking his pills.

Think the worst was a bowler who tried to take a caught and bowled but it was hit so hard he hadn't got his hand up in time and it burst through his fingers and hit him just above the eye. The screams of him when he saw the blood pouring all over the pitch weren't nice.

Marius

International Debutant
Good lesson to learn for everyone else, as soon as you feel the symptoms call emergency. Not sure if the guy had other medical history but he'd have had pretty significant shortness of breath beforehand if a PE did that to him that quickly.

Call ambulance straight away. Don't hesitate.
Apparently not but he was older guy, in his 50s and overweight.

Apparently he was complaining about feeling ill before the game, and the over before he collapsed his captain told him to retire but he didn't want to.

At the end of the day you're the one responsible for your own health and well-being.

Daemon

That sounds horrible.

Worst I've seen is myself being hit straight on the side of my head after a six from the neighbouring ground hit me while I was fielding in the deep in another game. People shouted watch and I turned around, but if I hadn't it would've hit me straight on the back of my head. Blacked out for a couple of seconds but thankfully it was just a minor concussion and vertigo for a few weeks after.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Saw a batsmen punish a straight drive back and hit our opening bowler straight in the eye. It was a sickening blow and the ensuring screams from the bowler didn't help. The bloke ran two

Also saw a bowler lose his teeth in the nets when a straight drive got him right in the face. Was so messy

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Saw an opposition keeper standing up to medium pacer, ball went down the leg-side, batsman got a late nick on it and it went straight into the keeper's mouth. He got driven off to hospital with blood pouring out ... looked terrible, but I don't think any huge damage was done, thank goodness.

I was fielding in indoor once, ball got hit very hard in the air and I lost it in the lights, only saw it a split second before it smashed me in the eye as it bounced down off the ceiling net. Split the contact lens I was wearing in half, cut my eyelid, and bruised my eye very badly and partially ripped something ... retina I think? Didn't need any surgery, but couldn't see anything except white for a month out of that eye, like someone was holding a white sheet of paper in front of my eye. Also wasn't allowed to do anything that would make my heart beat faster, because the blood pumping harder might start the bleeding within the eye again. Got a month on ACC on the upside haha.

That was in 2009. All is working fine now, but I still get headaches from it.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
****... would not want to see/hear that.
I was only 18 at the time, it was surreal. It sounded like the ****ing world exploded. People always asked why they didn't go off but the storm wasn't even close, there was some lightning off in the distance but there was a solid 10-15 seconds between lightning and thunder and it was some distance away. Such an unlucky thing to happen.

Don't think I've ever posted about it on CW before. Seems weird, as it would've been pretty fresh still when I'd joined.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Daemon your story is really scary, glad you pulled through okay

and that lighting bolt story is just ****ed. such rotten luck

Shri

Mr. Glass
A friend of mine was playing cricket on the terrace with us and fell down to the floor when he was trying to take a catch. Fell about fifteen to twenty feet and broke multiple bones all over and I am kinda guilty about my first thoughts at that time. I was sure I was about to add a few more scars from the belt when I went back home for being a part of the incident.

Nothing happened but it was scary and we all thought the idiot died for a moment when he went over the short wall.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
1990 - I'm captaining a team for my Club. We bat first and put up a very good score. Attacking fields are on. A few overs into the innings we are on top. I change the bowling, walk to short mid-on and the batsman keels over in front of me.

Heart attack.

Died.

Had a briefly worrying one this season.

Batsman nicks a pace bowler to the keeper. It grows big on him and he falls to take the catch. He goes to the ground and lies there.

Everyone thinks he's just annoyed at dropping the catch but after about 20 seconds we realise it's not that.

He is initially responsive but then we realise he's gone silent and his eyes are flickering quickly.

"Call an ambulance".

I get him in the recovery position and, thankfully, he slowly recovers consciousness. The paramamedics take him to hospital and, happily, he is able to return to the Club that evening - he has no memory of the incident after dropping the catch. I have seen him since and he's fine - but during the events I had some bad flashbacks.

Last edited: