• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Umpiring

smash84

The Tiger King
The pain of that game goes beyond just that innings and match. That was Pakistan's greatest ever generation of players, if they had won at Hobart, they could have won the third test and won their first ever test series in Australia. That could have totally changed the course of that team's journey.
yup, that hurts so much. Still hurts when i think about it. That match completely shatter Wasim's pakistan and the scars would live for a whole generation of cricketers (well, that is until Khatmal came along at Sydney)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
and replaced it with new worse scars :p

But yeah... I loved that Pak side back then.. Wasim, Shoaib, Razzaq, Mahmood, Saqlain, Inzy, Ijaz, Sohail, Anwar and Mohammed Wasim and Moin. What an eleven to build a great side off.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Dharmasena had a pretty bad Ashes 2013. Giving out Khawaja as the 3rd umpire at Old Trafford is probably one of the worst decisions made in the DRS era. In fact that whole series was a pretty poor one in terms of umpiring, remember it bringing into dispute the fact that 75% of the elite umpires were English or Australian.
"that decision sucked ass #bull****"

I remember there being more whining than outright poor decisions, mainly because snicko wasn't being used as part of DRS and people didn't seem to understand the whole burden of proof thing.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Simon Taufel, David Shepherd.

Edit: And Dar too.
Dear old Shep (RIP) was mostly solid, but had an absolute Barry Crocker in England's home series against Pakistan in (from memory) 2002.

England contrived to lose 8 wickets in the final session (which was kinda how we rolled back in the day, but anyway) & Shep missed about 4 front foot no-balls, the majority of which were from Saqlain.

Gunner Gould has been another decent ump too. Not infallible, but always seems to have a good rapport with the players, which is an underrated virtue in officials.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Dear old Shep (RIP) was mostly solid, but had an absolute Barry Crocker in England's home series against Pakistan in (from memory) 2002.

England contrived to lose 8 wickets in the final session (which was kinda how we rolled back in the day, but anyway) & Shep missed about 4 front foot no-balls, the majority of which were from Saqlain.

Gunner Gould has been another decent ump too. Not infallible, but always seems to have a good rapport with the players, which is an underrated virtue in officials.
Gould was the ex-wicket keeper right? He was taking an interest in the gloves and stuff of Saha I think in one of the recent series. You are right. He is not perfect and he does make his share of mistakes but he does seem to have the goodwill of the players.

listento_me

U19 Captain
Tbf looking at those wickets real time, some of those LBWs could be considered as close, so he is well within his rights to give it out. It just so happens, DRS weeds out wrong decisions and that's great. Let's not use it to make a mockery of a very good umpire.

listento_me

U19 Captain

LOL I have vague memories of that

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
"that decision sucked ass #bull****"

I remember there being more whining than outright poor decisions, mainly because snicko wasn't being used as part of DRS and people didn't seem to understand the whole burden of proof thing.
There is no sensible reason to disagree that the Khawaja decision was easily the worst drs 3rd umpiring decision in history. Snicko is irrelevant, the replay clearly showed like a foot between the bat and the ball. That decision was a very, very special kind of stupid.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Pretty sure it wasn't isolated either, there were a few other inexplicable uses of DRS by the 3rd umpires that summer.

Julian87

State Captain
There is no sensible reason to disagree that the Khawaja decision was easily the worst drs 3rd umpiring decision in history. Snicko is irrelevant, the replay clearly showed like a foot between the bat and the ball. That decision was a very, very special kind of stupid.
Yeah it's the worst I have seen.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Spikey has a good one laying about from a grade game or something that's the worst **** I've ever seen.

Apart from that, worst DRS decision ever was seriously the Khawaja decision. I still can't grasp how that was given after the reverse angle showing that he wasn't within 50 miles of the ball.

FBU

International Debutant
Since DRS started why don't cricinfo have successful/unsuccessful decisions against the umpires on statsguru? I would like to see how the umpires have been doing.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Think the ICC do but it is severely skewed as they consider even the lightest "howazzat" as an appeal and so by default, the umps get more than 90% decisions right.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Think the ICC do but it is severely skewed as they consider even the lightest "howazzat" as an appeal and so by default, the umps get more than 90% decisions right.
What FBU was referring to was decisions referred to DRS specifically, which would be a very interesting statistic to see.

listento_me

U19 Captain
If there was a DRS stat out there, I think Aleem Dar would do very well and I previously would have stated Dharm but that last test has done terribly for his average lol Was Taufel around for the DRS system?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, the Andre Adams one on Flintoff in '01. I was rat arsed in the terraces 120m away on an angle and knew that wasn't out live.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, and then you're getting desperate pleas/half hearted appeals/anything by a sub-continent team when the game is in the balance counted towards the percentage. The ICC use it to justify how they continue to believe umpires like Reiffel aren't incompetent.

cnerd123

likes this
Hey guys, umpiring is really ****ing hard

I'm amazed they can get anything right with all that noise and the heat and humidity, the speed at which everything happens, and with an angry, sweaty, mustached Jadeja screaming in your face.