• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Younis Khan vs Rahul Dravid

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't know if that's the reason. Personally I think it's more his persona - he is a genuinely likeable guy, has all the traits of a working class hero - hard working, talented, determined, humble, speaks eloquently. Everyone loves Dravid. Even the Burgey leaves Dravid out when trolling India. Robelinda who creates these clickbait video titles about Ponting, Tendulkar, Warne, Ganguly, Mark Waugh..you will never see him target Dravid.

I've always found that the usual Anti india brigade who will bash Tendulkar for not being a 'match winner', Kumble for not turning the ball, Kohli for being a dick, Ganguly for being Ganguly, they rarely have an axe to grind against Dravid.

No matter how much one hates the Indian cricket team, people usually go "i hate India, they're so arrogant but I like Dravid..he is humble"

I feel that all of that ultimately helped towards his image which ultimately contributed towards how he is remembered as a player.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lol YK is the underrated one to be honest. The first post said there wasn't even a contest. Dravid is one of those undisputed ones who very rarely gets scrutinised.
One clearly half joking post. Come on. The rest gave all Saud he's very much comparable.

Also, Dravid got hate his whole career from lots of dumbass Indians for his slow scoring.

vcs

Dravid but it's close. Dravid - Kallis - Younis - Waugh are all almost as good as each other.
I think Kallis is a bit ahead of the other three. Also Waugh after that is probably slightly ahead of Dravid and Younis who are virtually inseparable in my opinion. Wouldn't have said that about 2 years ago, and I'd have had Dravid clearly ahead. It's been a great couple of years for Younis.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
YK 2010 onwards is something else entirely. The period post the 2009 attacks and then the spot fixing saga, when Pakistan cricket was at it's lowest, YK and Misbah came like messiahs. One of the thing that bothers me about Pakistani players is that most of them are not into having autobiographies and dont take these things seriously. I would have loved to read YK describe this period of his life a few years after his retirement. He has gone through a lot in this period, personal tragedies and problems with the board but his batting has been phenomenal. I used to think 2005-06 was peak YK and 07 onwards he was back to his normal levels but his post 2010 run scoring deserves a separate section on it's own in the autobiography that's never going to be published.

Howe_zat

Audio File
YK 2010 onwards is something else entirely. The period post the 2009 attacks and then the spot fixing saga, when Pakistan cricket was at it's lowest, YK and Misbah came like messiahs. One of the thing that bothers me about Pakistani players is that most of them are not into having autobiographies and dont take these things seriously. I would have loved to read YK describe this period of his life a few years after his retirement. He has gone through a lot in this period, personal tragedies and problems with the board but his batting has been phenomenal. I used to think 2005-06 was peak YK and 07 onwards he was back to his normal levels but his post 2010 run scoring deserves a separate section on it's own in the autobiography that's never going to be published.
Pakistan players are generally happy to share their thoughts at the time tbh. Very little to save for a book.

Even a player like Younis who is widely considered a gent has not been above the odd strop from time to time, particularly regarding his place in the ODI team.

anil1405

International Captain
Both these blokes are so similar in style, the way they play and even their personalities are pretty much the same. I guess they even have similar records in different countries. But Younis appears to have played very few tests in Australia and West Indies as compared to Dravid.

Dravid is slightly better than Younis imo coz of some wonderful knocks he played in WI and at times on pitches that hardly suited the batsmen (Kingston, 2006).
Plus Dravid had opened the batting for the team when called upon and performed pretty well too which goes in his favor.

India pretty much forgot how to win in overseas conditions until this guy arrived to alter the record books.

Zinzan

Hardly a surprise to see almost all Indian posters think Dravid's better & almost all the neutrals seems to think the two are there or thereabouts.

Natural unconscious bias exists folks, but we rarely recognise it in ourselves... which is no doubt a big reason for my thinking that Hadlee is the 2nd best pace bowler after Marshall, when there's a good case for the likes of McGrath, Lillee, Wasim & Ambrose, to name a few.

The point about Younis being in & out of the side over the years as a weak one. Anyone with half a cricket brain knows that's more about Pakistani politics than anything else.

For me, Tendulker, Lara, Kallis, Sanga & Ponting were all marginally > than Dravid and Younis.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Kallis should be nowhere near that company.

Well, not nowhere near, I'm being slightly hyperbolic, but you're having a laugh if you don't think Dravid is better than Kallis.

Zinzan

Kallis should be nowhere near that company.
I think watching that Kallis documentary pushed him up a few notches in my mind, I hadn't quite realised the expectation on him within the team set-up, which went a long way into explaining the way he approached his batting which I used to think was for selfish reasons, when in fact the expectations on him were that he just 'couldn't get out'.

But I wouldn't groan too much if Kallis & Sanga were grouped with Dravid & Younis, slightly behind the those other 3.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Well, not nowhere near, I'm being slightly hyperbolic, but you're having a laugh if you don't think Dravid is better than Kallis.
You are being hyperbolic to phase that statement in bold that way, I accepted your point that perhaps Kallis doesn't deserve to be clearly ahead, but you're going the other way if you think most in the cricket world categorically have Dravid ahead.

Flem274*

123/5
i can't believe someone so inoffensive like kallis is so polarising. shouldn't it be someone like ponting everyone either loves or tries to pretend wouldn't make a club side?

as for the title, hard to choose. the two quiet achievers of ATG batting who rarely get the plaudits they deserve. i'll give this to Dravid, just, for his ability to stand up for entire tours (NZ 2002, England 2011) where all his overrated mates like sehwalkbacktopavillion, wahhhguly, lolhi and sachin flopdulkar all failed like the hacks they are.