• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

cricketing narratives that aren't true

Shady Slim

International Coach
so here's another shady slim classic thread that should already exist but i don't search

thread because of the comment that pakistan's batting is likely their strong suit now even though the narrative is they can only bowl and can't bat at all

plucky kiwis another one

now they just suck in general (na but they're not plucky their world cup run was genuinely good cricket)

Shri

Mr. Glass
That all pitches in India are rank turners. Usually, the first one is and in a long series, most pitches offer only slight assistance to the spinners as the series progresses. But the psychological damage is usually done in the first game and teams get routed because they are mentally fragile and are on edge against simple balls from spinners. Only SA got the dustbowl treatment recently because they had genuinely awesome batsmen and below average spinners(Piedt and Tahir would have sucked on regular Indian tracks but their fast bowlers would have routed us).

Shady Slim

International Coach
imo that's a top quality post

especially jadeja is a master of the "this ball could do ANYTHING lol jokes it's straight"

smash84

The Tiger King
at this point i could literally say the sky is blue and you'd disagree with me. you have a personal issue with me and have for a while so i can't take you seriously anymore
well mr mr England were quite crap in the 90s. A lot of other teams were good but England had the likes of Ian Salisbury, Robert Croft, Matthew Maynard, the hollioake brothers, dominic cork. Their best bowlers were decent but nowhere near world class. Andrew Caddick, botham was finished, Gough, Fraser. So how can you say that is myth?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i feel they had a bunch of good, "world class" players they just unfortunately played in an era where a lot of other teams were littered with ATGs

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
No, your point is wrong.

England in the 90s were dreadful and had a heck of a lot of very bad players. That's nothing about you posting it - if anyone had tried to claim otherwise they'd have gotten the same response.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
- You have to play your natural game, especially if you want to save a match.

- India have no chance of winning on greentops overseas / foreign teams have no chance of winning on rank turners in the subcontinent

- Steyn has clearly slowed down in pace after his recent injuries

- Rohit Sharma can change a game in a session.

Shri

Mr. Glass
well mr mr England were quite crap in the 90s. A lot of other teams were good but England had the likes of Ian Salisbury, Robert Croft, Matthew Maynard, the hollioake brothers, dominic cork. Their best bowlers were decent but nowhere near world class. Andrew Caddick, botham was finished, Gough, Fraser. So how can you say that is myth?
Gough was a great workhorse kinda bowler. His talent would have been appreciated more if he hadn't played at a time when Donald, Ambrose, Akram, Younis etc were also playing test cricket.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
and on that note, and I know this is said a lot, but Atherton, Stewart, Thorpe and even Hick/Ramps would have had much better looking records if they didn't have to face a country with a bowling God like every other series. They only got a break against New Zealand and Zimbabwe, every other team had at least 1 insanely good bowler(and most had at least 2) the likes of which haven't been seen since the '90s with 1 or 2 exceptions

Last edited: